Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bucket of Strips Quilt Blocks Done - Now What? Help! >

Bucket of Strips Quilt Blocks Done - Now What? Help!

Bucket of Strips Quilt Blocks Done - Now What? Help!

Old 02-05-2012, 05:00 AM

I think your blocks are gorgeous! Can't wait to see how you arrange them. Be sure to post a picture when you get them all together!
Old 02-05-2012, 05:20 AM
QM
Power Poster

Those are great. I am sure the quilt you make will be good. I always play with things like that before I sew them together.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:19 AM

Best thing is just play with them on your design wall... they are beautiful...I look forward to see what you end up with... please post when done...
Old 02-05-2012, 06:29 AM

Looks like you have some great suggestions. Beautiful fabrics. Just go for the gusto and set they out.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Oh boy! Thank you! I don't have EQ, so that is just what I needed.

Unfortunately, no room for a design wall here. And if I laid them out on my bed, I'd play so long we'd never get to sleep!
Hang some batting over a door an use that as your design wall! It helps to see your blocks, and is priceless for assembly. It works even if you can only see part of the quilt at a time.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:31 AM

Hoe about twisted log cabin?
Old 02-05-2012, 06:43 AM

Beautiful HST with all those vibrant colors set off beautifully. I agree with Debd about hanging batting over a door for a design wall and play play play. You'll come up with a gorgeous guilt.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:49 AM

From your pix it looks like you have 2 color schemes going, a blue and a black. Hmmm? Nice blocks will be waiting to see the finished product. I did some QAYG blocks last year and the centers were quilted on the embroidery machine, then I used stitch and flip logs around them like a log cabin. It went together fast and gave me my machine embroidery on a larger block. The problem I have had with machine embroidery and pieced blocks is distortion, and then there is the stabilizer which has to be removed so the batting and backing eliminated that problem by finishing the logs around the block then hooping the entire block and embroidering the center, it gives you more latitude to center the design. Iam working on one now where I am embroidering the sashing strips between blocks, and there are a LOT of sashes!
Old 02-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
Beautiful blocks! I just did this with a baby quilt, one strippy half, the other polka dot. I ended up with an offset spiral setting. Post #436 in the thread.

I went through quite a few settings, including another alternative:
Love your quilt! I think I will use white when I get to the lighter colors in my bins.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:14 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by mmb195152 View Post
Krystyna,

How large are your blocks going to be? How bif were your blocks before you made the HST? Can't wait to see your finished product. m
The blocks are currently 6". They were a little bigger before I squared them down. I actually started by just sewing strips together and then used an omnigrid to cut squares and then the HSTs - which weren't really HSTs at all, but cut in 4 Ts. The HST was just too big for my liking. The flaw in that plan is that now the strips are going in two directions, but this is a learning process and my intention was to use them up. Mission accomplished!

From the leftovers I now have rows of strips that are 3" wide so hopefully I will have enough to incorporate into a border. Time will tell.

NEXT time I will be sure to plan first!!!