Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bucket of Strips Quilt Blocks Done - Now What? Help! >

Bucket of Strips Quilt Blocks Done - Now What? Help!

Bucket of Strips Quilt Blocks Done - Now What? Help!

Old 02-05-2012, 07:21 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by Debd View Post
Hang some batting over a door an use that as your design wall! It helps to see your blocks, and is priceless for assembly. It works even if you can only see part of the quilt at a time.
My "studio" is only 10" x 12 and is jam packed. I make mantilla veils for a living, so there is really quite a lot of stuff in here. I actually took the door off the room to free up space. On two walls there are floor to ceiling shelves that are quite deep and the other two walls are taken up by an L shaped desk that holds one of my sewing machines on the left, my computer in the center, and one of my embroidery machines on the right. (I don't even want to tell you where my other embroidery machine, serger and other two sewing machines are). I was thinking of putting a roll down shade over one of the shelving areas and putting batting on that, but I really wouldn't be able to see it from a distance unless I go out into the backyard and look through the window! But as I progress with my quilting skills, I see more and more that it is a necessity, so I'll figure something out.

And while I was always thinking that Electric Quilt was quite unnecessary for me, I am now seeing it's enormous value, thanks to thepolyparrot.

Not watching the game tonight, so lots of time to sew!
Old 02-05-2012, 07:22 AM

Can't wait to see this, Krystyna! Love those scrap quilts!
Old 02-05-2012, 07:26 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by patdesign View Post
From your pix it looks like you have 2 color schemes going, a blue and a black. Hmmm? Nice blocks will be waiting to see the finished product. I did some QAYG blocks last year and the centers were quilted on the embroidery machine, then I used stitch and flip logs around them like a log cabin. It went together fast and gave me my machine embroidery on a larger block. The problem I have had with machine embroidery and pieced blocks is distortion, and then there is the stabilizer which has to be removed so the batting and backing eliminated that problem by finishing the logs around the block then hooping the entire block and embroidering the center, it gives you more latitude to center the design. Iam working on one now where I am embroidering the sashing strips between blocks, and there are a LOT of sashes!
When I get to that stage I think I will use the web stabilizer that you leave in. It's quite flexible and soft, but it does help a lot. I use it on my smaller quilts. My Brother PE-770 only does 5x7 but I have a mega hoop so I can reposition and cut down on the hooping by half. Some people on an embroidery list I belong to don't bother with the stabilizer and just use the sandwich. Of course, then there will be the angst over what quilting design to use! But FUN angst!
Old 02-05-2012, 07:27 AM

Looks great. Can't wait to see what you decide.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by thomp116 View Post
Can't wait to see this, Krystyna!
Me, too!
Old 02-05-2012, 07:57 AM

WOW! Can't wait to see what you came up with. Loving it! You're really putting the pressure on yourself saying you will show us as soon as you finish. Wish I had that kind of will power. I just finished 25 quilts for St Jude so I am on "vacation" from sewing.....Need to find my sewing room again in the worst way and have been procrastinating for three days now to start.....Maybe this will get me going. I will be watching to see the end results of your quilt. Keep up the good work
Old 02-05-2012, 08:05 AM

i vote for the braided one.....new and awsome
second choice IMHO is the pinwheels.......traditional and 'dynamite' in black
Old 02-05-2012, 08:19 AM

thepolyparrot your images are so helpful. I am motivated to start one myself and of course I also love the Carpenter's Star you later attached. I have lots of scraps, I move this up on the to do list. Thanks for sharing for all.
Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
I LOVE all those colors - how beautiful this is going to be!

There are so many ways to lay this out - here are some EQ "serendipity" arrangements - the pdf has larger images of all eight of these. I really like the "braided" look - the last one - but the streak of lighting is really pretty, too. Of course, with fabrics as prettty as you have there, anything you choose is going to be lovely!
Old 02-05-2012, 08:36 AM

Looks like there are lots of options. Pick one and go for it. I like some of the ones "thepolyparrot" did on EQ.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:43 AM

Oh my these blocks are so beautiful and all the suggestions are awesome. I bet it will be pretty when you are done.