Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Building My Stash Bigger Than Ever... Why?

Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    I read many posts here that are griping, complaining, arguing, or shaking their virtual heads in disbelief over the price of fabrics. This is exactly why I am building my stash bigger than ever right now. I figure that if I have more than enough fabric than I could possibly need in a lifetime to quilt all the quilts I want to quilt then when fabric becomes $20/yard someday, I will know I paid far less and always had choices from fabrics that initially attracted me.

I would also like to suggest at this time to really feel out all your quilt store options even many miles from home that you normally would not trek to. I recently spent the last 6 months exploring every quilt shop in a 70 mile radius and have gotten to every one but one of them. I have really spent a lot of time comparing their prices. One gal with a fantastic selection of many older designs has far better prices. I usually never pay over 8.50/ yard for new designs but have begun stocking up on lots of her $6.99/yard fabric that I know i will use.

Oh how I agree with you Grugirl....the constant griping, complaining, arguing and sheer astonishment amazes me. It is what it is...and none of the venting changes that. There are still places that sell high quality quilt fabrics for fair prices and then there are the sales. One must be proactive about everything right now and if you're not....it's on you and you have no reason to gripe!

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Stash building???? Remember SAK658 is helping Dovie sell her home store fabrics and most are 50% and lots are 2.00 a yard. I have ordered and they are QLS quality and better. Oh gee, did I just enable some people. ROFL. I am not buying fabric for a while. Well, only from the board members. Can't resist.
    This is one reason I miss the selling the way it was...so many members selling lovely quilt shop quality fabrics wanting to reduce their stashes at great prices. I understand the rules but sure do miss the way it was. Course I miss a lot of the "way it was" as in the way our world used to be......

Blog Entries
    I can tell you, Been there and done it.

She'll buy it. haha

Sassy granny

Quote Originally Posted by grandjan
    Some people collect Depression glass, old china, antique furniture--any number of things. Why not collect fabric and enjoy it, trade it, even display it--all with a clear conscience. There are no fabric police that require you to actually use it. Right?
    Hope Not ... or we're in the Jail house now ... :(

Blog Entries
    I had signed up for the fabric moratorium, but with the prices going the way they are I think I will do some stash building as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sushi
    I hear you, Grugirl, but I'm increasingly convinced that the fabric manufacturers and retailers of the world make most of their money on the fabrics we buy for our stashes.

Once I figured that out, I resolved never to buy fabric unless I needed it for a specific project. Of course, I do have a small stash of leftover fabric, but nothing those who buy fabric without a specific plan.

In the long run, I'm convinced I spend less, even when prices are rising.
    you just might be right!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by emerald46
    I got rid of lots of most FQs and less than yard cuts several weeks ago...like about 3 banker boxes full when it was all over and I mean packed full. I have been in my LQS at least twice a week since. Now buying 3+ yards of things I love and collections. Lots of backing. Then I get Jinny Beyer Studio email yesterday with collection called Shaded Spring and this pink crocus floral...I just need to delete it but keep looking at it...lol
    Oh, yes! Jinny's emails will erode my resolve to be frugal every time! I am thinking that it might be a good idea to shop for backing material before prices gets too high. I have plenty of jelly rolls, fat quarters and squares, but no stash of multiple yardage. I like color on the back of my quilts, so think I will get organized and go shop!! It is always good to have a valid ?? excuse to shop, right?? :thumbup:

I don't think I buy as much fabric as I once did. I am really trying to use up some of my stash. I didn't think I liked Kaffe Fassett (and the like) but after about a year of looking at them, I am now in LOVE with the bright and bold colors. So, I have tons of CW and 30s repro fabrics, which I still love, but am adding pieces of Kaffe's too.
    No end to fabric collecting.

I am doing the same thing. I have added about 25 yards this week using Joann coupons at two different stores. When I run out of room in my 12 room, built in 1860 house, I might quit buying more fabric :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsapquilter
    I haven't been to a local quilt shop lately. So not real sure what the prices are in the shops here now. I usually go to JoAnn's for the fleece I buy to make baby blankets for sale. Don't buy much in the quilting fabrics dept. at JoAnn's. I have a pretty big stash anyway, since I worked for a fabric store and also a quilt shop back a few years ago. But when I do want a nice quality piece of quilting cotton I go to the internet. I have gotten some really nice name-brand fabrics from company's like Fabrics.com, Thousands of Bolts, Fabric Shack(?). Fabrics.com has free shipping on orders over $35.00 (I think that is right) and the Fabric Shack (seems like that is not the right name) has half price shipping all the time now! And I have found that the fabric I get looks pretty much just like what they show on the internet.
    I live about 20 min from Fabric Shack (you were right with your spelling) and they also have some sale fabrics in the store. Fabric Shack is a great store with wide selections, I would recommend to anyone who comes through Ohio. We had another local quilt shop close recently (owner was relocating out of state) which had a great selection of Jo Morton fabrics.

I am just getting "into" quilting. So have been buying material. From members on the board is how I got started getting some stash. Then I found ebay material, so far I have been pleased with what I have purchased from there. I really need to go on a fabric diet from there!!!

But it's weird. I have some patterns/blocks that I want to do and when I get the material I think wow I can use it for such and such pattern/block.

Blog Entries
    I have enough stash I could make a lot of quilts with just adding a little fabric. I'm going to Amarillo next week and will check out the shops there. Wish we had a real quilt shop in El Paso

Ruby the Quilter

When i start a new project I try to use just one fabric from my stash.

There are some colors that I can not make work. It seems greens really change. for example, a green I purchased in the 80's will not match what I am doing now. Someday!

Fabrics at quilt shops have gone over $11 a yard this season. If i really like it, I find it online at a better price even after I pay shipping.

I know I should support the quilt shops but I do in other ways. I need to make my dollar go farther. Its like groceries, yikes~ do not get me started.

Blog Entries
    I don't want to sound cheap but I won't pay more that $2.99 a yard. I go to a discount fabric store every other week and find odds and ends. They also have batiks for $2.99. And just recently they had 8 fat quarters for $5.99 pre packaged.

My dh is also encouraging me to buy some extra before the cotton prices raise 150% as they are suposed to do. I bought a bolt of Kona in white at JA the other day and used my 50% off coupon, making the cost about $25. Not bad for 8 yards. I will be buy more whites and neutrals soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolee
    I have enough in scrap strips alone to make 20 quilts or 2,000 potholders, LOL. Add to that my stash and I have quilting projects till I am 90. If I don't feel like quilting, I can always count on over 3 huge tubs of yarn I could make blankets out of. I am a happy woman!!!!!!

Now comes the cincher......I don't NEED fabric, so why do I still buy it? A legacy??? I have four daughters, none of which sew.
    Nolee, can I be one of your daughters???????????

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah12687
    My sister promised me to send all her fabric earlyer this year as she is not quilting anymore but when she found out how much it would cost to send it all she decided not to ship to me. She is coming to Minnesota this fall with the fabric and to visit for a week.
    I can come to Minnesota in the fall..............I'm just saying.

I have family in Bloomington, Edina, Mankato, and Redwood Falls. But I could come to where you live........I'm just saying.

I love my stash---but have room in my heart to love more------

Last year it rained hard across a lot of the cotton fields in america just as the cotton was starting to open up and puff out, and the crop was wrecked.
    The manufacturers were forced to buy from other sources to replace it....so they say: "raise the prices".
    This summer we will see...

I have a large enough stash that I enjoy "shopping" in it!
    Because I bought colors and printed fabric patterns I liked, often several colorways in the same design, my selections almost always will go together the way I plan it to go.
    I keep all my fabric color sorted, with the same family of fabric colors together...or "companions" like Paula Nadlestern's kalidescope fabrics or special lines like "frosts" or "marbled".

Now, I know the reason for a stash...

I like fat quarters for having that "just right" piece of fabric that will be just right for a "bit of pop" too!

It is great fun to shop in my nightie at midnight or 3 am!
    Jeannie

Quote Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
    Where do you find fabric at $6.99 a yard. Have you been to the fabric store in Eatonville? They have some nice fabrics there. They are about $8.99 a yard.
    There is a place downtown Tacoma called Trains Fabrics. It is in a seedy area of Tacoma but I love the shop. There are tons of choices and in the back room the gal has fat 1/8ths for 50 cents and other chunks for a buck. I have bought a lot of my charm fabrics in there. she also has some good vintage fabrics in the back. She has a massive collection of flannels too. Check it out. The gal isn't that friendly but she has a lot of choices. She also rents her longarms for $25 a day INCLUDING thread.

Quote Originally Posted by donnaluigi
    I don't want to sound cheap but I won't pay more that $2.99 a yard. I go to a discount fabric store every other week and find odds and ends. They also have batiks for $2.99. And just recently they had 8 fat quarters for $5.99 pre packaged.
    This would be a welcomed goodie to shop at. Wish we had prices that good. Wow!

Blog Entries
    I keep buying for the same reason and I have some space left here at home but I spotted those totes that slide under the bed -you would be surprised at how much they hold and how many fit under a Q/bed I have 8 of them under an x-long twin and if I raise my Q --I 'll have to rent 3 u-hauls just for fabric - But if you go for UBStorage make sure your bed skirt is long enough to conceal the evidence 8-)

a regular here
    Blog Entries
    I am 72yrs young and have enough fabric to keep me going until I am 100 but I keep buying. lol
    Told DH that if I go before it is used up to send it too
    all of you.
    Dusty

Blog Entries
    Donnaluigi do they do mail orders or an E/M

I know this is very unusual in a quilter, but I don't have a big stash. When I first started to quilt, I also started "stashing", but I realised that a lot of that fabric, which represented a lot of money, was just sitting there, and whenever I started a new project, somehow none of it was right and I went out and bought more. I also have to consider the high price of fabric in the UK and my limited budget and space. So now I rarely buy fabric without a specific project in mind. Which is not to say never! If I see something I really like on sale I might snap it up, or if ordering from the States I might get a bit extra to get better value from the postage costs - but I'd want to be using it pretty quickly. But that doesn't mean I don't envy those of you with cupboards full of lovely fabrics to play with!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast