Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3
Results 51 to 75 of 75

Thread: Building My Stash Bigger Than Ever... Why?

  1. #51
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Daytona Beach Shores, FL
    Posts
    2,353
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi
    I hear you, Grugirl, but I'm increasingly convinced that the fabric manufacturers and retailers of the world make most of their money on the fabrics we buy for our stashes.

    Once I figured that out, I resolved never to buy fabric unless I needed it for a specific project. Of course, I do have a small stash of leftover fabric, but nothing those who buy fabric without a specific plan.

    In the long run, I'm convinced I spend less, even when prices are rising.
    I agree. It takes some self control to not buy, and I'm working on that. But even with the fabric stash I have when I have a specific project, even scrappy ones, I always need to purchase some, I either need a little more of a certain color, or another smaller scale piece, whatever. So, I am trying to not buy without a true project in mind. It seems that I fall for a pattern and that dictates my fabric choices. and if I just use something out of my stash, just to use it, it makes the whole process less enjoyable. Does anyone else feel that way?

  2. #52
    Senior Member DeniseP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lewiston, Maine
    Posts
    535
    Blog Entries
    3
    I hear ya, sister!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by harrishs
    I love my stash---but have room in my heart to love more------

  3. #53
    grugirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Graham, WA
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by DeniseP
    I hear ya, sister!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by harrishs
    I love my stash---but have room in my heart to love more------
    I suppose much of my fabric desires are based on the fact that I had to sell 1/2 of my stash before I left Alaska 4 years ago. I have been trying to rebuild ever since.

  4. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by wolflady
    I am 72yrs young and have enough fabric to keep me going until I am 100 but I keep buying. lol
    Told DH that if I go before it is used up to send it too
    all of you.
    Dusty
    Dusty, I could be in Lansing in 1 hour 15 minutes. I'll be there on May 15 as a matter of fact, so if you need to get rid of anything, I'll be happy to assist. :)

  5. #55
    Junior Member Lobster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh, UK
    Posts
    228
    Nope, I'm not buying extra fabric in case prices go up. If I were to do that, I'd be expanding my stash and would need more space for it. Then I'd get used to having a larger stash, and it would stay that size and if anything, grow. I know perfectly well that I'm addicted to quilting, I'm not going to stop buying fabrics when the prices go up. So I'd just end up spending more money overall.

  6. #56
    a regular here
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lansing, Mi.
    Posts
    678
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'm not ready to go yet, but if i know ahead of time lol I will let every one know. I have a lot of Batiks so don'want DH just throwing them out.

  7. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory
    I am doing the same thing. I have added about 25 yards this week using Joann coupons at two different stores. When I run out of room in my 12 room, built in 1860 house, I might quit buying more fabric :-)
    You couldn't help buying at JoAnn's, they had a huge sale!!! :) I was there too with my coupons.

  8. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    386
    I agree. It takes some self control to not buy, and I'm working on that. But even with the fabric stash I have when I have a specific project, even scrappy ones, I always need to purchase some, I either need a little more of a certain color, or another smaller scale piece, whatever. So, I am trying to not buy without a true project in mind. It seems that I fall for a pattern and that dictates my fabric choices. and if I just use something out of my stash, just to use it, it makes the whole process less enjoyable. Does anyone else feel that way?[/quote]

    I do. I want my project to look a certain way, and even though I have a huge stash, if I don't have a certain color or print I have to buy it.

  9. #59
    Senior Member SnowQuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Graham, WA
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
    Where do you find fabric at $6.99 a yard. Have you been to the fabric store in Eatonville? They have some nice fabrics there. They are about $8.99 a yard.
    There is a place downtown Tacoma called Trains Fabrics. It is in a seedy area of Tacoma but I love the shop. There are tons of choices and in the back room the gal has fat 1/8ths for 50 cents and other chunks for a buck. I have bought a lot of my charm fabrics in there. she also has some good vintage fabrics in the back. She has a massive collection of flannels too. Check it out. The gal isn't that friendly but she has a lot of choices. She also rents her longarms for $25 a day INCLUDING thread.
    Thanks for the info. Im on my way tomorrow.

  10. #60
    Senior Member mustangquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Idaho wilderness area
    Posts
    373
    Blog Entries
    2
    I just ordered two more rolls of batting. With all the fabric, batting, thread & patterns I have now I will be doing great till around 2050. I am sure the prices will be out of this world by then and I will be almost a hundred. Good thing I have stocked up.

  11. #61
    Super Member Kitsapquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Port Orchard WA
    Posts
    2,288
    Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    Quote Originally Posted by DeniseP
    I hear ya, sister!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by harrishs
    I love my stash---but have room in my heart to love more------
    I suppose much of my fabric desires are based on the fact that I had to sell 1/2 of my stash before I left Alaska 4 years ago. I have been trying to rebuild ever since.
    I understand about getting rid of fabric before moving. I left Alaska almost 11 years ago. After having worked in a fabric store or two for about 15 years I had a pretty big stash. Not all was quilting fabric though. I had a couple of garage sales selling mostly all fabric. But I held on to most all my quilting fabrics and sold mostly other stuff that I had for making clothes.
    Still have some of that quilting fabric ( hope it isn't going to be rotten when I finally use it). I still get new fabric but only when I need some for a project or one that really turns me on. I shop the internet alot now and get some pretty good prices and fair postage prices at some of the sites.

  12. #62
    Super Member Kitsapquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Port Orchard WA
    Posts
    2,288
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
    Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
    Where do you find fabric at $6.99 a yard. Have you been to the fabric store in Eatonville? They have some nice fabrics there. They are about $8.99 a yard.
    There is a place downtown Tacoma called Trains Fabrics. It is in a seedy area of Tacoma but I love the shop. There are tons of choices and in the back room the gal has fat 1/8ths for 50 cents and other chunks for a buck. I have bought a lot of my charm fabrics in there. she also has some good vintage fabrics in the back. She has a massive collection of flannels too. Check it out. The gal isn't that friendly but she has a lot of choices. She also rents her longarms for $25 a day INCLUDING thread.
    Thanks for the info. Im on my way tomorrow.
    I love the Train Station fabric shop. Haven't been there in a while but there is alot of fabric in just a hole in the wall shop. Maybe it has expanded since I was there last. Her longarm rental sounds pretty reasonable. From kitsapquilter in Port Orchard WA.

  13. #63
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    135
    Double that - and I'm lucky to finish one quilt a year... So do I get to live to be 180??

  14. #64
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolee
    I have enough in scrap strips alone to make 20 quilts or 2,000 potholders, LOL. Add to that my stash and I have quilting projects till I am 90. If I don't feel like quilting, I can always count on over 3 huge tubs of yarn I could make blankets out of. I am a happy woman!!!!!!

    Now comes the cincher......I don't NEED fabric, so why do I still buy it? A legacy??? I have four daughters, none of which sew.
    oops - meant to quote her in my reply...

  15. #65
    Super Member Pinkiris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NE Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,311
    Blog Entries
    2
    Now comes the cincher......I don't NEED fabric, so why do I still buy it? A legacy??? I have four daughters, none of which sew. [/i][/quote]

    But someday, you may have a GRANDdaughter who wants to learn! My daughter won't touch sewing, but both of my dgd's are learning. You never know when you'll need that fabric!

    Sue

    :D

  16. #66
    grugirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Graham, WA
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolee
    I have enough in scrap strips alone to make 20 quilts or 2,000 potholders, LOL. Add to that my stash and I have quilting projects till I am 90. If I don't feel like quilting, I can always count on over 3 huge tubs of yarn I could make blankets out of. I am a happy woman!!!!!!

    Now comes the cincher......I don't NEED fabric, so why do I still buy it? A legacy??? I have four daughters, none of which sew.
    OMG.. how disheartening that must be that your four daughters don't sew. SAD. I suppose I am in the same boat.. I have no daughters, so none that sew.

  17. #67
    grugirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Graham, WA
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsapquilter
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
    Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
    Where do you find fabric at $6.99 a yard. Have you been to the fabric store in Eatonville? They have some nice fabrics there. They are about $8.99 a yard.
    There is a place downtown Tacoma called Trains Fabrics. It is in a seedy area of Tacoma but I love the shop. There are tons of choices and in the back room the gal has fat 1/8ths for 50 cents and other chunks for a buck. I have bought a lot of my charm fabrics in there. she also has some good vintage fabrics in the back. She has a massive collection of flannels too. Check it out. The gal isn't that friendly but she has a lot of choices. She also rents her longarms for $25 a day INCLUDING thread.
    Thanks for the info. Im on my way tomorrow.
    I love the Train Station fabric shop. Haven't been there in a while but there is alot of fabric in just a hole in the wall shop. Maybe it has expanded since I was there last. Her longarm rental sounds pretty reasonable. From kitsapquilter in Port Orchard WA.
    Yes, the gal is not the friendliest person but I make it a point to make her smile when I am in there. I do because I buy lots of fabric. She still adds her totals with a calculator. Bizzarro I know. But.. she has a great stash. Try the back wall for excellent deals. She does a massive sale every July .. .I think it is 50% off for one weekend only and doesn't mess with sales the rest of the year. I suppose YOU KNOW WHERE I WILL BE in JULY?

  18. #68
    Senior Member SnowQuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Graham, WA
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsapquilter
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
    Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
    Where do you find fabric at $6.99 a yard. Have you been to the fabric store in Eatonville? They have some nice fabrics there. They are about $8.99 a yard.
    There is a place downtown Tacoma called Trains Fabrics. It is in a seedy area of Tacoma but I love the shop. There are tons of choices and in the back room the gal has fat 1/8ths for 50 cents and other chunks for a buck. I have bought a lot of my charm fabrics in there. she also has some good vintage fabrics in the back. She has a massive collection of flannels too. Check it out. The gal isn't that friendly but she has a lot of choices. She also rents her longarms for $25 a day INCLUDING thread.
    Thanks for the info. Im on my way tomorrow.
    I love the Train Station fabric shop. Haven't been there in a while but there is alot of fabric in just a hole in the wall shop. Maybe it has expanded since I was there last. Her longarm rental sounds pretty reasonable. From kitsapquilter in Port Orchard WA.
    Yes, the gal is not the friendliest person but I make it a point to make her smile when I am in there. I do because I buy lots of fabric. She still adds her totals with a calculator. Bizzarro I know. But.. she has a great stash. Try the back wall for excellent deals. She does a massive sale every July .. .I think it is 50% off for one weekend only and doesn't mess with sales the rest of the year. I suppose YOU KNOW WHERE I WILL BE in JULY?
    I wasn't able to go today but since you said there is a sale in July, I just may wait until then. Or just go and check it out tomorrow. Any other quilt stores you two know about? There is an Evergreen Quilt stor on 56th and M street. It is a pretty nice little shop but I think their fabric is a little high.

  19. #69
    grugirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Graham, WA
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
    Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsapquilter
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
    Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
    Where do you find fabric at $6.99 a yard. Have you been to the fabric store in Eatonville? They have some nice fabrics there. They are about $8.99 a yard.
    There is a place downtown Tacoma called Trains Fabrics. It is in a seedy area of Tacoma but I love the shop. There are tons of choices and in the back room the gal has fat 1/8ths for 50 cents and other chunks for a buck. I have bought a lot of my charm fabrics in there. she also has some good vintage fabrics in the back. She has a massive collection of flannels too. Check it out. The gal isn't that friendly but she has a lot of choices. She also rents her longarms for $25 a day INCLUDING thread.
    Thanks for the info. Im on my way tomorrow.
    I love the Train Station fabric shop. Haven't been there in a while but there is alot of fabric in just a hole in the wall shop. Maybe it has expanded since I was there last. Her longarm rental sounds pretty reasonable. From kitsapquilter in Port Orchard WA.
    Yes, the gal is not the friendliest person but I make it a point to make her smile when I am in there. I do because I buy lots of fabric. She still adds her totals with a calculator. Bizzarro I know. But.. she has a great stash. Try the back wall for excellent deals. She does a massive sale every July .. .I think it is 50% off for one weekend only and doesn't mess with sales the rest of the year. I suppose YOU KNOW WHERE I WILL BE in JULY?
    I wasn't able to go today but since you said there is a sale in July, I just may wait until then. Or just go and check it out tomorrow. Any other quilt stores you two know about? There is an Evergreen Quilt stor on 56th and M street. It is a pretty nice little shop but I think their fabric is a little high.
    Yes, I have been to Everygreen. A little high, but better than many I have seen. Do you know about Gee Gees in Yelm or about Wildrose quilt shop in Orting? Both are good shops for different reasons. HUGE selection at GEe Gee's... prices are still high at both but they carry very different things too. Wildrose really caters to the traditional quilter most, lots of civil war era reproductions and other repros of all sorts. Not a lot of brights, which are my preference. Another one.. a good drive but worth it though is Sisters Quilt Shop in Chehalis. I am heading there Friday with my buddy from Alaska. 10,000 bolts of fabric. OMG...

  20. #70
    grugirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Graham, WA
    Posts
    373
    Hey Kitsap, You must know about Harbor Quilt then?

  21. #71
    Super Member annesthreads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    South Yorkshire UK
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkiris
    Now comes the cincher......I don't NEED fabric, so why do I still buy it? A legacy??? I have four daughters, none of which sew. [/i]
    But someday, you may have a GRANDdaughter who wants to learn! My daughter won't touch sewing, but both of my dgd's are learning. You never know when you'll need that fabric!

    Sue

    :D[/quote]

    Or your daughters may yet surprise you. I hated sewing for most of my life, and the sewing box that Mum bought me for my 7th birthday still had some of the original items in it 40 years later :) . But then I discovered first crosstitch and then quilting - I think Mum is still amazed!

  22. #72
    grugirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Graham, WA
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by annesthreads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkiris
    Now comes the cincher......I don't NEED fabric, so why do I still buy it? A legacy??? I have four daughters, none of which sew. [/i]
    But someday, you may have a GRANDdaughter who wants to learn! My daughter won't touch sewing, but both of my dgd's are learning. You never know when you'll need that fabric!

    Sue

    :D
    Or your daughters may yet surprise you. I hated sewing for most of my life, and the sewing box that Mum bought me for my 7th birthday still had some of the original items in it 40 years later :) . But then I discovered first crosstitch and then quilting - I think Mum is still amazed![/quote]

    This is a very good point to make. Once your daughters get the bug if they do... you and all of us KNOW this is a catchy thing. A granddaughter for a quilting buddy sounds exquisite. Ahhhhhhh

  23. #73
    Senior Member drgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    slaton, texas
    Posts
    750
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by greenini
    I agree, tho due to space issues, I am also trying to use what I have now. But it ain't gonna get cheaper, even if cotton eventually goes back down, prices will tend to stay high. Look at coffee, it never retreated from the last time they had a hiccup.
    \

    AMEN! "They" know we will pay the higher prices so why go down? This country is killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. It just takes and takes and takes!!! However, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else!!!

  24. #74
    Senior Member SnowQuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Graham, WA
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
    Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsapquilter
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
    Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
    Where do you find fabric at $6.99 a yard. Have you been to the fabric store in Eatonville? They have some nice fabrics there. They are about $8.99 a yard.
    There is a place downtown Tacoma called Trains Fabrics. It is in a seedy area of Tacoma but I love the shop. There are tons of choices and in the back room the gal has fat 1/8ths for 50 cents and other chunks for a buck. I have bought a lot of my charm fabrics in there. she also has some good vintage fabrics in the back. She has a massive collection of flannels too. Check it out. The gal isn't that friendly but she has a lot of choices. She also rents her longarms for $25 a day INCLUDING thread.
    Thanks for the info. Im on my way tomorrow.
    I love the Train Station fabric shop. Haven't been there in a while but there is alot of fabric in just a hole in the wall shop. Maybe it has expanded since I was there last. Her longarm rental sounds pretty reasonable. From kitsapquilter in Port Orchard WA.
    Yes, the gal is not the friendliest person but I make it a point to make her smile when I am in there. I do because I buy lots of fabric. She still adds her totals with a calculator. Bizzarro I know. But.. she has a great stash. Try the back wall for excellent deals. She does a massive sale every July .. .I think it is 50% off for one weekend only and doesn't mess with sales the rest of the year. I suppose YOU KNOW WHERE I WILL BE in JULY?
    I wasn't able to go today but since you said there is a sale in July, I just may wait until then. Or just go and check it out tomorrow. Any other quilt stores you two know about? There is an Evergreen Quilt stor on 56th and M street. It is a pretty nice little shop but I think their fabric is a little high.
    Yes, I have been to Everygreen. A little high, but better than many I have seen. Do you know about Gee Gees in Yelm or about Wildrose quilt shop in Orting? Both are good shops for different reasons. HUGE selection at GEe Gee's... prices are still high at both but they carry very different things too. Wildrose really caters to the traditional quilter most, lots of civil war era reproductions and other repros of all sorts. Not a lot of brights, which are my preference. Another one.. a good drive but worth it though is Sisters Quilt Shop in Chehalis. I am heading there Friday with my buddy from Alaska. 10,000 bolts of fabric. OMG...
    I haven't been to Gee Gee's yet, but I have been to Sisters and Wild Rose. I love Wild Rose, a girl that used to work there quilted my last quilt and charged me $182.00. That was including the batting, for a full size quilt. She did a wonderful job but I won't be going to her again. :)

  25. #75
    grugirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Graham, WA
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
    Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
    Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsapquilter
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
    Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
    Where do you find fabric at $6.99 a yard. Have you been to the fabric store in Eatonville? They have some nice fabrics there. They are about $8.99 a yard.
    There is a place downtown Tacoma called Trains Fabrics. It is in a seedy area of Tacoma but I love the shop. There are tons of choices and in the back room the gal has fat 1/8ths for 50 cents and other chunks for a buck. I have bought a lot of my charm fabrics in there. she also has some good vintage fabrics in the back. She has a massive collection of flannels too. Check it out. The gal isn't that friendly but she has a lot of choices. She also rents her longarms for $25 a day INCLUDING thread.
    Thanks for the info. Im on my way tomorrow.
    I love the Train Station fabric shop. Haven't been there in a while but there is alot of fabric in just a hole in the wall shop. Maybe it has expanded since I was there last. Her longarm rental sounds pretty reasonable. From kitsapquilter in Port Orchard WA.
    Yes, the gal is not the friendliest person but I make it a point to make her smile when I am in there. I do because I buy lots of fabric. She still adds her totals with a calculator. Bizzarro I know. But.. she has a great stash. Try the back wall for excellent deals. She does a massive sale every July .. .I think it is 50% off for one weekend only and doesn't mess with sales the rest of the year. I suppose YOU KNOW WHERE I WILL BE in JULY?
    I wasn't able to go today but since you said there is a sale in July, I just may wait until then. Or just go and check it out tomorrow. Any other quilt stores you two know about? There is an Evergreen Quilt stor on 56th and M street. It is a pretty nice little shop but I think their fabric is a little high.
    Yes, I have been to Everygreen. A little high, but better than many I have seen. Do you know about Gee Gees in Yelm or about Wildrose quilt shop in Orting? Both are good shops for different reasons. HUGE selection at GEe Gee's... prices are still high at both but they carry very different things too. Wildrose really caters to the traditional quilter most, lots of civil war era reproductions and other repros of all sorts. Not a lot of brights, which are my preference. Another one.. a good drive but worth it though is Sisters Quilt Shop in Chehalis. I am heading there Friday with my buddy from Alaska. 10,000 bolts of fabric. OMG...
    I haven't been to Gee Gee's yet, but I have been to Sisters and Wild Rose. I love Wild Rose, a girl that used to work there quilted my last quilt and charged me $182.00. That was including the batting, for a full size quilt. She did a wonderful job but I won't be going to her again. :)
    HOLY MOLY.. that is ridiculously overpriced.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.