Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Building Up Stash?? >

Building Up Stash??

Building Up Stash??

Old 11-15-2014, 10:33 AM

If the pattern calls for 3 yards, well then 5 yards is better (just in case). I have accumulated a nice stash with this philosophy. My friend buys 1/4 yard, then I buy a yard....'cuz I just might need it someday. If I really like the fabric, I buy more.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:16 AM

When I first started quilting, I bought fat quarters and half-yard cuts of fabric I liked, even if I didn't know what I would do with it. Then when projects started coming to mind, I switched to yardage for setting squares and triangles, borders and backs. Now I just buy what I need to fill in when I absolutely, positively can't find what I need in my stash.

As for the price, cotton is a commodity and last time I checked, our federal government pays hefty subsidies to U.S. cotton farmers, which distorts the true market price as well as supply. Wish they'd get out of our business!
Old 11-15-2014, 01:32 PM

Rhonda, in my opinion you should always buy the best fabric you can afford - emphasis on what you can afford! Fabric prices are high and unfortunately, our budgets are low! Nonetheless, being picky is always a good thing.

Like you, I haunt sales. I have a large stash, probably because I like fabric a lot and quilting is my excuse to buy it. Most of my fabric is from sales, and I buy because I like it. Here and there I buy a fabric because I HAVE TO HAVE IT! The 'have to have it' fabrics are very difficult for me to use because if I use it, I won't have it anymore.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:23 PM

I'm banging myself int he head cause I didn't buy the Wear Warm Clothes fabric from 1996 in yardage. So this time around, and I'm staying with this, I'm limiting fat quarters.Not saying I don't like them, but I'd rather have a yard.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:26 PM

I have quite a large collection too and I really am glad I do (well, most of the time)....I rarely have to go buy anything to do a quilt ..I just shop in my stash and usually find pleasing things that go together.........
I always check the fabric section of any store I am in, and I look at thrift stores too...often I find clothes that are really good fabric and just be sure to look well about it, esp to see if it has fade or stain or etc..........I hardly ever spend more than about $2.00 a yard, but often you can find ends of bolts that were a lot more $$ to start with...one of my favorite places is Hobby Lobby...the ends of bolts are often marked down there...also check the remnants bin, never know what may be there.......if you have a local paper that offers free adds, put one in there that says you are interested in fabric... watch for yard sales too........some retirement homes have sales during the year and you can get estate finds that way..........and tell every person you know that you want fabric, if they have any they don't want....
Old 11-16-2014, 05:58 AM

I've been quilting a little over 2 years. I have been only buying for the current project. In the beginning, I was becoming a buyer, instead of a do-er. I don't know if I'll ever use some of those fabrics. I do usually buy a little more than needed, so I am slowly building up a "stash" but mostly smaller pieces.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...h-t256817.html
Old 11-16-2014, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rhondals View Post
I don't have much of a stash or scraps. So I need to order or buy my fabric for any quilt, for the most part. So I've been grabbing flash sales and going to the FabricRecycle store in town. I've only made one quilt, several wall hangings and will be finishing the top of a large one as soon as I get the fabrics, which is ordered.

My mom sews and was floored at the prices of the quilt fabric, which is why I like the sales. But I'm fabric picky, Moda, Kona, etc. Am I being picky? Some of the cotton at commercial fabric stores feels like paper, or sand paper.

How do you handle building up a stash? Do you just order what you need? Or do you already have it?

I'm fabric picky, also. I use mostly Moda. I don't like the cheap looking fabrics. Since there are no LQS close to me, I shop online at Etsy.com. So my stash is Moda. I do have a few items that I have bought from M* on the Daily Deal that have not been Moda, but are still good quality.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by sailsablazin View Post
If the pattern calls for 3 yards, well then 5 yards is better (just in case). I have accumulated a nice stash with this philosophy. My friend buys 1/4 yard, then I buy a yard....'cuz I just might need it someday. If I really like the fabric, I buy more.

I also do this.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:13 PM

My stash has accumulated pretty slowly, or seems to have. I've been quilting for 5 years or so. I'm more inclined to do large quilts than small. I seldom purchase yardage that I don't need but if I see one I love, I check to see if it is standard stock. I buy from chain stores but am picky as well. I'm fascinated with scrappy projects and do littles with my quilting group to sell as fundraisers for our community center. I have learned from experience to buy extra fabric. I'm collecting mediums and dark strips for a "plus" quilt and have just purchased fabrics for my third wedding quilt. Each one I make will add to my stash, strips, and scraps. So will yours!
Old 11-17-2014, 06:52 AM

How do you handle building up a stash? Do you just order what you need? Or do you already have it?[/QUOTE]
I adore fabric and use any chance to buy it. You just need to take advantage of sales and stock up on neutrals whenever they are available. I saw a neutral quilt made by Maureen in Ottawa and I've been collecting neutrals ever since for this quilt and neutrals are used in every quilt. If you don't like scrappy you will collect in a different way than I would. I hunt sales and buy a range of colors so I will be prepared - I'm prepared, believe me I'm prepared.