Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Business Idea >

Business Idea

Business Idea

Old 03-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Banned

I think its a wonderful thing to do.
You never know, you might start more people quilting.
GOD bless!
Old 03-12-2012, 05:31 PM

Interesting idea! I'm sure this would be a welcome idea in rural areas.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:58 PM

I think there is already a business like this called "Quilt Bus" or something like that. They have been in business for a long time so there must be a market for it. Just check out local ordinances like everyone else has suggested.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:49 PM

I've never heard of this before and I'm not sure what to tell you. If you have looked into the zoning and bylaw, and can afford to do this, good luck to you. What would attract me to a truck would be great prices, and friendly service. If your prices are only marginally less than a LQS I wouldn't bother. Just saying...
Old 03-12-2012, 09:49 PM

I live in a small town where Walmart is the only place to purchase fabric. I do have 3 LQS within a 20 to 30 mile range, however, neither has a very large stock of fabrics making the selection of colors and fabric lines very limited. I usually go into the city which is about 1 1/2 hrs drive one way to purchase my fabric and quilting supplies as I like to purchase everything I will need for a project at the same time. While I would love to have a fabric truck come to my town, based on my shopping habits, you would need to stock not only a nice size collection and variety of fabric but also a complete line of quilting supplies at a cost that would be competative with the larger shops in the city. I do think that your idea is great and I hope that it works out for you.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:00 PM

This was done in Iowa using a converted schoolbus. There was an upper and a lower row of shelves to display fabric along the sides. A small cutting table in the back. Contact: [email protected]
Old 03-13-2012, 12:23 AM

I live in rural area and the closest fabic store is over a hour away. I would love for there to be a fabric truck in my area. Not sure how you would figure out what fabric would sell best so as not to get stuck with old inventory though.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
If I'm not mistaken, someone is doing this. I don't remember where I saw it, or when, but I do remember seeing pictures of people "shopping" in the back of a truck. Do a google search, you should find something.
You are right...it is called the Quilting Bus. I think if it was financially feasible, it would be a HOOT. I hope lasews looks into it.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:48 AM
Power Poster

If you use a school bus you will need to block the light from the windows or you will have faded fabric in a hurry.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:27 AM

As an accountant I strongly agree w/ Lori. You definitely need a business plan as I think you would have to price fabrics much higher than what the internet does. Of course you do have an "up" on them, they can see & feel the fabrics. I have an sign in my office that reads "The only thing more overrated than childbirth is owning your own business". Think carefully & if it's a doer - come to my area, 1 store locally, otherwise a 59 mi. drive one-way.