Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Busted! >

Busted!

Busted!

Old 02-04-2011, 05:03 PM

I feel very lucky that hubs has never once commented about my fabric stash...........of course he wouldn't dare.....you see about 3 or 4 times a year I hear...."Hey Hon, you got any spare quilts hanging around, the kids are doing a fund raiser at school for _____(fill in the blank) and your quilts always raise a bunch of money." Peace reigns in our house.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:14 PM

I work full time and have for many mnay years. When DH asked why I have so much fabric and bolts of batting I tell him it is my 401-Stash. :0) By buying now I will not have to use all my retirement money for stash building. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by mustangquilts
I work full time and have for many mnay years. When DH asked why I have so much fabric and bolts of batting I tell him it is my 401-Stash. :0) By buying now I will not have to use all my retirement money for stash building. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.
I may use that line from time to time if it's ok with you LOL
Old 02-04-2011, 05:35 PM

Just buy a big plastic garbage bin, put some of your stash in that and put a circular table top or piece of wood on top and cover it with a cloth. You then tell everyone that it is a new table...they don't have to know what's underneath. Keep track of how many Fossils and golf clubs are bought as well..lol
Old 02-04-2011, 05:42 PM

I agree. Be honest and discuss it.
Originally Posted by PatriceJ
ok. no way i'm taking sides here. just some food for thought that might or might not apply to your specific situation.

once we start thinking in terms of hiding our purchases vs. cutting back on our purchases, aren't we admitting to ourselves that we're doing something we either know is definitely not right, or that is probably wrong?

isn't it better to sit down with the financial partner for an open, honest conversation? mutual agreements and ground "rules"? compromise and adaptation might be necessary, but wouldn't that be less stressful than having to hide and worry?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:06 PM

LOL! A good stash needs time to season. DH and I laugh about this all the time. Whenever we have moved we have a pact. He does not complain about moving my fabric boxes and I don't complain about moving his fans. I swear that man will melt away without his fans!
Old 02-04-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by dljennings
Originally Posted by sewmom
Originally Posted by Chele
Plead the fifth and make something good for dinner.
Boy I wish I had thought of that!
i always found pleading the fifth worked better if i was taking my clothes off than if i offered to cook dinner... lol
Gotta agree - LOL (I never bring receipts home for anything - never have, never will)
Old 02-04-2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Just tell him it makes you happy and its not a good day in your household when your not happy..
If Mama aint happy, aint nobody happy.....lol
Old 02-04-2011, 06:20 PM

That exact same scenario plays out in our house on a regular basis. My DH does not understand the word stash. Golf balls that go an extra hundred yards are justified, but Kona on sale is "over buying." I just purchased some fabric boards so I can organize my stash which when it is all visible should start the whole conversation all over again. I only buy fabric on sale and got some fantastic buys at the end of the year, DH is not impressed with this fact. I found some golfing fabric at the quilt expo today that will become a throw for him, maybe this will help to explain my stash. Nah.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:44 PM

My husband never complains about my stash. In fact, when we built our home, my sewing room was a requirement and it's got built-in cabinets that are full. He seems to enjoy taking people in there and opening up the cabinet doors to show off my stash. He joked that we needed to talk to our cabinet maker to get some cabinets made for the basement to store the overflow. He has his toys and we don't bug each other about the amount we spend on our hobbies. Over the last few years, I've been "shopping" out of my stash for any projects, so I'm happy.