Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Busted! >

Busted!

Busted!

Old 02-05-2011, 07:28 PM

Got to love them!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:40 PM

To the quilters that wondered about the video on hiding your stash-use the search and type in 100 ways to hide your stash. It should come up. You tube has it too.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sapphire_Rae
Yep, when momma ain't happy, no one is happy.
Amen, sistah!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:51 PM

When I started this post, I didn't know that it would start such a big turmoil, so I will try to set you straight. I thought it was funny when he said that. He is retired, but consulting,so it's like working one job and being paid for two. Money isn't really the issue unless i overspend when he is NOT working anymore. Sometimes I do spend too much on fabric, but I really do have plans for most of it. (Hopefully I'll live a really long time) He really doesn't say a lot about my hobby and knows that he spends money on what he wants. Neither one of drinks or smokes or has any other bad habits. We have talked about a hobby budget so we're Ok there too. I make quilts for gifts and he got a great one for Christmas. We've been married 33 years and did have some lean times when our kids were small-I hardly sewed at all then. Plus he just bought me a Janome 11000 for Christmas and paid cash for it. I think It just never dawned on him how long I've been gathering my stash and if I didn't have it stacked on the table at the time, it wouldn't have looked like as much. I really only have maybe 2 tall bookshelves of fabric that is a yard or more and that includes the fabric that I have gathered for 7 quilts. I have all that I need for them except 2 backs. So I'm not worried that he's got underlying issues-he'd tell me for sure. And sometimes I do feel guilty when I over spend-but I drown it in Fabric. :)

His quilt for Christmas
[ATTACH=CONFIG]164462[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-164457.jpe  
Old 02-06-2011, 03:21 PM

My husband gives me a hard time too. He says he works so hard and I am retired as if a double standard is OK (he's just jealous that I am 4 years older so retired first).. I don't spend a tiny fraction of my retirement on fabric or sewing items. He spends several hundred dollars a month going out to lunch so I just ignore him and buy whatever I please.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:44 PM

Definitely cheaper than therapy.
Hide it beter.
Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
Tell him it's cheaper than a visit to the psychiatrist. LOL
Old 02-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

Funny. Now that he knows you have an abundant stash I think the only way to sooth him is to produce a lot of quilts and hide any new purchases in a better place.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:17 AM

Sometimes I tell my BH that the fabric is not mine - that it belongs to my guild and that I will be repaid (sometimes the truth even) or that it belongs to a friend who hides her stash from her husband. Not sure if he believes me but it keeps him quiet.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:09 AM

Ditto for me. I have as many books as I have stash and that's quite a bit. I love both.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:28 AM

I too think he just needs some reassurance that you will be ok with less money coming into the household. If he is like my DH he is supportive of whatever you do and doesn't want you to have to do without. A big change in finances can be harder on men because they feel that it is their role in a marriage to bring in the money. We made an agreement as to how much our budget can afford for my sewing and My DH is comfortable with that and happy to take me shopping. Not so long ago he doubled the amount when he saw that our finances could support it. It is not a lot, but it is plenty for me and what I want to do. He hardly ever buys anything for himself and that is an issue for me. Maybe a chat about how he sees the future going now that he is retired will open him up to talking about any real concerns he may have, if any. Hope this doesn't sound preachy, it wasn't meant that way. :)