Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
But I don't Need It >

But I don't Need It

But I don't Need It

Old 11-19-2009, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
Monday when Hubby and I were in Walmart for groceries, we passed the sewing section, and he asked me if I wanted a new sewing machine for Christmas. He pointed to several and even picked up one (Brother) with a price of $139.00. My Singer is working just fine I told him. (Twice). He has always been very supportive of my favorite hobby, and I appreciate it a lot. I was thinking, "If you have $139 to spend, I would much rather have more fabric". We talked a bit more, and he suggested I make a list of what I want for Christmas. I made the list, and I hope he gets that I don't need a new machine. BUT--- what do I do if he gets one anyhow?
Well, if it were me and I gave him a list..and, he's insisting on a new machine...I'd give him the list of that...a quilting machine!! On a frame!!:)If he'd show up w/that...who'd argue!!:)Otherwise he may shop smart for the other items on the list;)Then I would ask him what 'he' has done!!:)For it might be a doozie!:)Skeat and, I thought when mine showed up w/flowers it was bad..:)LOL
Old 11-19-2009, 11:23 AM

and I'll add the story about the year I got two pair of sweatpants for Christmas. Nothing else, just sweatpants.....and I have NEVER been a Petite. At least the story is funny now, if he only knew how many times I've told it. :)
Old 11-19-2009, 11:37 AM

If you know he really wants to get you a new machine, I suggest you research machines and give him the make and model of the one you want (you might even include a picture and the name of the store where he can buy it). Then, he will know exactly what you want and can make the choice of whether to get it or not.

Bless him, because his heart is in the right place. You just have to point him in the right direction.

My DH has always been supportive of whatever hobbies I took up. I never had to sneak anything in the house. When my tried-and-true Singer Fashionmate had her 30th birthday, I started looking for a machne with more bells and whistles. DH handed me $1,000 cash he'd been saving (for what, I don't know) and said "Use this to get what you want." When I called and told him I'd fallen in love with a Bernina and it cost $3,000, he swallowed hard and said Go For It. Of course, a man who has spent $10,000-plus each on several hand-craftted guitars is not going to tell his oh, so, understanding wife that she can't spend $3,000 on a sewing machine! Or that she can't have a "new" Featherweight, or a "new" treadle machine, or a "new" . . . you get the idea. In fact, one of his friends was getting rid of a 1929 Singer Model 99, and he told the friend that I sew and quilt and he would buy the machine from him. The friend said that if I'd give it a good home, he could have it. It doesn't work, but it looks great on the shelf!
Old 11-19-2009, 11:50 AM

MNQuilter, I agree with you about spelling things out to hubby. Several years ago when Sweetums was asking what I wanted for Christmas I said a really nice bathrobe. Christmas morning there is a nice box under the tree and I'm thinking bathrobe. Well! He had gone to Joann's got a clerk who helped him pick out fabric in my favorite color and then pick out a pattern and lace. All that was in the box. Sweetums said, "I know how you love to sew and I know you would want to make your own." I didn't have the heart to tell him that sometimes I would like something store-bought. I made my bathrobe and I do love it.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:54 AM

ROFLMBO!!!!! Okay, some of those stories are simply hilarious! And I think it's comforting that are men are so much alike. :lol:

If he is set on getting you a sewing machine, my suggestion is to involve your hubby in researching/shopping for one. This means he needs to know what type of quilting you enjoy and what techniques you are interesting in learning in the future. You don't want to buy a sewing machine just to have it become obsolete within a year or two because you've outgrown it. He will also need to become aware of just how many different machines are out there and what they do for us quilters. You never know, it may end up becoming something he is interested in. My girlfriend did this and her husband became fascinated with machines and bought himself a treadle machine - which he uses!!!

And if you really don't need another sewing machine but he is set on getting you one, considering getting one that is easily transportable. It is always helpful to have an extra machine to take to classes or retreats, or simply over to a friend's for an afternoon together. There are some decent machines out there that are lightweight and would work great for this purpose. Just a thought.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:55 AM

PamG, my hubby learned early on in our marriage that if he wants something from the autoparts store when I'm out shopping, he must send a note with me to the parts guy explaining what he wants. so I take my note into Napa auto parts and hand it to the clerk and tell him, "I don't know what this is, don't bother talking to me about it, but if you have the part that's great." Saves my one nerve.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:08 PM

sweet story! I have a good hubby too!
Old 11-19-2009, 12:19 PM

for years i kept a 'wish list' on the fridge with magnets. the items were all over the place in price. the kids could go cheap and dh could go sky-high.
whatever came my way was always a surprise and i loved it all.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

it's kind of nice to have a back-up machine...you can have one you take to classes, ect and one for when your primary machine is in the shop for cleaning ... if he gets you a new one, you will find it comes in handy even if it doesn't seem like it now, and the walmart Brother's are great machines! :D
Old 11-19-2009, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
for years i kept a 'wish list' on the fridge with magnets. the items were all over the place in price. the kids could go cheap and dh could go sky-high.
whatever came my way was always a surprise and i loved it all.
We have always done the list-on-the-fridge with a magnet. What a shock this year when I discovered that magnets won't stick on my wonderful new fridge!!!! (That hubby got for me so I dont' have to bend down everytime I need something...this one is freezer on the bottom.) Tape works just fine to hold this years' list. :D

Patti