Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
But I don't Need It >

But I don't Need It

But I don't Need It

Old 11-19-2009, 04:31 PM

Give the guy a hug and tell him thanks for loving you and caring about your hobbies. I've seen too many women gripe about things their husband did or bought that didn't meet the lady's standard. One of my friends spent a while dissing on her hubby because when he made dinner, he didn't add enough color to the plate. I remember laughing, and thinking she was missing the bigger point that he had taken the time to make dinner.

You know your husband is thinking about you. I'm sure that he'd be more than happy to get you fabric instead, with gentle nudging. As long as you praise his kindness in thinking about you, he'll be putty in your hands. Sounds like you've got a keeper to me!
Old 11-19-2009, 04:46 PM

For sure.....definitely a keeper!!! (AND he cooks!!!!)
Old 11-19-2009, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
My first husband (now passed for 6 years) bought me a new sewing machine the fall we got married It was a Singer 1425 and cost close to 1000.00 twenty eight years ago! I made EVERYTHING on that Singer. Baby clothes, polo shirts for him, maternity clothes, curtains, quilts, frilly dresses for Erin, the list goes on and on.

Last spring I gave it to my daughter and she cherishes it. I've told her that when she goes to France next fall the Singer comes home to Mama while she is away working. No storage shed for my baby!
I know exactly how you feel! I bought a Singer Stylist--model #774-- back in 1975. I sewed everything on that machine until about 7 years ago when I bought a Pfaff. Yesterday I took the Phaff in to the local quilt shop to be cleaned, etc and I also took in my old Singer to be cleaned---just because I love that old machine. I'm still somewhat intimidated by the Pfaff :oops: but I knew how to do everything on the Singer.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

My Jim always wants to buy me things. Even something as simple as a loaf of Raisin bread is appeciated, but when we walk through a store I MUST be careful what I oooh and ahhhh over. He very often asks me if I have enough thread or do I need some new pins. He supports my favorite hobby greatly! Last year I asked for some hand quilting thread and he got me 5 spools.

Anyway, I gave him my Christmas list and one item was FABRIC, FABRIC, FABRIC. I will be ordering that myself and then TELL him what he got me. Gee, I wonder if I have to wait until Dec. 25 to use it.....
Old 11-19-2009, 05:49 PM

Thank goodness you said no. My husband bought a Brother from Wal Mart and we had to return it as it never worked.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:51 PM

Thank goodness you said no. My husband bought a Brother from Wal Mart and we had to return it as it never worked.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by thismomquilts
But not the doorknob (I kid you not!!) he bought me one year for Christmas!!

ROFL - I almost fell off my chair. That has got to be the tops for unwanted presents! :lol:
Old 11-19-2009, 08:30 PM

When my husband decided to get me a new machine one year for Christmas he asked several of my friends what they suggested. One of them gave him the best advice...."Would you want her to pick out a piece of stereo equipment (or insert you husband interest in that spot) for you?"
So on Dec 23 he took me out for a nice lunch, then he said he was going to take me out to buy my gift, it was something I should decide. He wouldn't tell me where until we were at the store. I had asked him if it was something fun or something like picking out silverware? He wouldn't say, and the sewing machine store was right next to a furniture store, so he parked in front of the furniture store, we walked towards the furniture store, me thinking new couch, and as I reached for the door handle he said, "what are you going there for?" Then took my hand and we went to the sewing machine store. I cried right in the middle of the store, it was a lot of money for us at the time and I would never have asked for a gift that expensive.
So if your husband shows up with a new machine, tell him that he would want to pick out his own "fill in the blank" and make sure he keeps the receipt... thats a lot of fabric at Walmart prices!
Old 11-20-2009, 05:43 AM

For Christmas last year my husband found a knitting store that I didn't even know was in our town went in and bought me a gift certificate so I could take classes or get any yarn that I wanted this coming from a man that thinks I am crazy to cut a perfectly good piece of fabric up into little pieces and sew them back together. Husbands surprise us from time to time. 8)
Old 11-20-2009, 07:50 AM

I love my husband.....this morning he looked at the list on the fridge and asked..."is this Sew Steady that plasticy thingy you showed me?" Yes, I replied. Nothing more said...but you KNOW what he will be doing today. :wink: That was on my b'day wish list...and b'day is only a couple of weeks away.