Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buttons, buttons!! >

Buttons, buttons!!

Buttons, buttons!!

Old 10-27-2011, 05:36 AM

Make pin cushions with top and bottom buttons. Picture flowers with button centers.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Becka
I'm in the same quandry. Jars and jars of a lifetime of collecting that my dad's girlfriend was gifted with, who regifted them to me. My intent is to make a yo-yo quilt and put a button in the center of each one. Someday...
Becka, one of my friends made tote bags with this idea on one side. Then she added some yoyo's to a sweatshirt. Both of these ideas were so cute made up. Try this instead of waiting for a full size quilt. It's too intimidating to me, but small projects still use up buttons.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:01 AM

I too would be interested in purchasing your buttons if you decide to sell them. I have used them as quilting embellishments, in paper pinwheels, and other projects. My daughter is in grad school and will be an elementary teacher next year. She has already raided my button jars for school projects and I anticipate it being rapidly depleted when she is a full fledged teacher. Otherwise I have most of them in a large glass canisters sitting on a shelf in my sewing space.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:03 AM

My DGS age 6 like to look through my buttons and collect the "pretty" ones. I have some of my mom's, my grandmothers, and the ones I have added. It seems when I was making clothing, I was always one button short, and had to buy more--usually one or two more than I needed so I could add to my collection. lol
Sue
Old 10-27-2011, 06:09 AM

I, too, have many jars of buttons, sorted into different colors and sizes by jar. Any time I put a shirt in the rag box I take the buttons off and put them in jars, too. I've seen art quilts made with them using the buttons as bubbles in an underwater scene. I think I'm going to try that. One day.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:23 AM

If you want to get them off your hands, I just bought a glass jar lamp and have been looking for something to put in it. I would be willing to buy them from both of you if that is not against the Board's rules. I am new to this.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:27 AM

Every time I go to the Flea market I can't resist buying buttons. I have a big tin of them that are quite old and new. I just like collecting buttons. I do use them for sewing but not the very old ones as I collect them.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:28 AM

I have always loved buttons. I buy "antique" clothes from resale, Goodwill etc. shops and cut off buttons (keeping the whole strip holding the buttons intact); then, cut the fabric seams open to keep for other projects.

I too would pay postage for anyone wanting to get rid of their button collection.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:38 AM

use them to decorate greeting cards, jackets,jeans, or as someone else suggested put them in a pretty glass jar and admire them.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:54 AM

I made a Turning Twenty quilt for my DD, and she wanted buttons sewn on it -- at the corners of the squares. No two buttins were alike on the quilt, and it looked terrific!