Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buttons, buttons!! >

Buttons, buttons!!

Buttons, buttons!!

Old 10-27-2011, 07:00 AM

I got rid of all my buttons awhile ago & have been kicking myself in the behind ever since. Now when I need them to decorate a quilt top I can't find what I need. Lesson learned.
Smiles
Old 10-27-2011, 07:01 AM

When cleaning out my unused supplies I learned by county's agency for mentally disabled people has a group that does crafts and projects to keep their minds as stimulated as possible. I was able to donate a lot of stuff to them. Call your county commissioners office or "MRDD" office.

Pay attention when cleaning out! I didn't mean to donate my mother's button collection to Goodwill but later discovered one of the tins I donated must have contained it because it is nowhere to be found now! By the time I went back to my local store, it had gone to a distribution/sorting center. Drat.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cyn
I am constantly collecting buttons. I make jewelry, pillows and decorate shirts with them! You might say that I have a bit of a button thing :)
Years ago I was into making "chunky" African Jewelry and I accummulated a whooooooole lot of wooden buttons in all sizes and earthy colors. Ran across them recently and pulled them out because I see a use for them in a line of African Quilts I'm working on now.
Use those buttons girl, just not on baby quilts:>)
Old 10-27-2011, 07:12 AM

Buttons are great for crazy quilts - that what I used my small collection for - with hand embroidery.

I also saw a small lamp base covered with buttons at a LQS really cute in a sewing room.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:13 AM

I have a collection also. They are sorted in old mason jars by color. Wanted to put a narrow shelf around my sewing room and display them. I do find lots of uses for them. Recently made snowmen pins with different size white buttons, they are so cute.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:45 AM

I have my mother's and grandmother's buttons in a large jar in my sewing room. I don't think I would ever get rid of them but I do try to include them in quilting projects I am working on.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:47 AM

you could group them (by color or style, etc) and sell them on here. A lot of quilters use them. I am sometimes looking for buttons!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:48 AM

Very cute!!

Originally Posted by chairjogger
I wish I could figure out the stuff they used to hold all the things put in this wall hanging. It was Awesome ! Buttons, cars, old circut breakers.. Lots of things were there. Old picture frame.. something like clay to allow things to sink in. arranged specifically. There were several of these sprinkled in the hospital..

This one photographed by cell phone, usually always have my camera, Ronald McDonald room in Kansas City's Children's Mercy hospital.

buttons would be great !
Old 10-27-2011, 07:48 AM

That is cool!!

Originally Posted by nwm50
Can make jewerly out of them....like these hairbows i made for my granddaughter. Make an Envelope quilt using a button for each block or do an pic frame, possibilities are endless !
Old 10-27-2011, 07:49 AM

I have a bunch of buttons too. I will not part with them, after all I never know when I may have a need for one. LOL I have used them on purses and on clothes.
I have some sorted in small jars by color. Someday I intend to go through them and match up and thread them together. Just as soon as I get done with all my other projects. :-)

Right now I am looking for a huge see through jar to put my spools in.