Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buttons >

Buttons

Buttons

Old 11-10-2010, 04:48 PM

The other day I was at Joann's Fabrics. I needed buttons. I saw same buttons that I had purchased at Wal-Mart the previous week, but Joann's had a larger version of the same button but the price was over $5 for 2 buttons. I thought I know that the other buttons were smaller but they were no where near that price and didn't buy them. When I went to Wal-Mart the next day I bought them there for just under $2. So, today I had to go to Joann's again and took a picture. The only difference is the name on the Wal-Mart buttons lists LeButton as the brand name and LaMode for the Joann's but I think they are by the same maker. Even with a 50% off coupon the Joann's buttons would still cost more than the Wal-Mart buttons. I guess that show the mark up on notions because whose going to use a 50% coupon on buttons we'd save those for the "big" purchases our fabric. Maybe buttons are like the concession stand food at the movie theaters - what they make their profits from?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-123478.jpe  
Old 11-10-2010, 06:06 PM

Yes, it's like that for lots of stuff. I knew someone who owned a paint store. He said people shop around for the best price on paint and then don't even look at the price tag on paint brushes. Guess which one has the higher mark-up?

Nice buttons, btw.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:19 PM

I bought a bunch of buttons at Tuesday Morning, a package of 2 buttons was 69 cents
Old 11-11-2010, 04:00 AM

It's just sad the cost of buttons - but you are right - some buttons are really really expensive. You can almost do better going to the thrift store and looking for interesting buttons on garments. It is just amazing.

I've been lucky and had my mother pick up buttons at rummage sales on bag day. I don't think I'll ever need another button for as long as I live!
Old 11-11-2010, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

i recently needed 5 yards of black fabric, just a good solid black...figured joannes would be the best place to find it. went in and found kona black for $8.95 a yard...left, went down the road to our most expensive lqs around and bought the same kona black for $5.95...i've pretty much given up on joannes.

Originally Posted by kristen0112
The other day I was at Joann's Fabrics. I needed buttons. I saw same buttons that I had purchased at Wal-Mart the previous week, but Joann's had a larger version of the same button but the price was over $5 for 2 buttons. I thought I know that the other buttons were smaller but they were no where near that price and didn't buy them. When I went to Wal-Mart the next day I bought them there for just under $2. So, today I had to go to Joann's again and took a picture. The only difference is the name on the Wal-Mart buttons lists LeButton as the brand name and LaMode for the Joann's but I think they are by the same maker. Even with a 50% off coupon the Joann's buttons would still cost more than the Wal-Mart buttons. I guess that show the mark up on notions because whose going to use a 50% coupon on buttons we'd save those for the "big" purchases our fabric. Maybe buttons are like the concession stand food at the movie theaters - what they make their profits from?