Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buy machine at quilt show? >

Buy machine at quilt show?

Buy machine at quilt show?

Old 08-07-2016, 04:17 AM

Do your homework BEFORE the show. I would check with local dealers to see if you will be able to get classes and service for a machine you do not buy from them. The one big advantage to buying local is getting service and classes locally. DON'T BELIEVE WHAT YOU MAY BE TOLD AT THE SHOW! People will tell you what you want to hear so they can sell a machine.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:25 AM

I bought a bl at a local county fair several yrs ago. Did get a "discount" on it. But now reading how dealers are so willing to sell these machine at these "discounted" prices, I'm wondering what the mark up is actually on them. I know all things are marked up for retail sales, but some things are just so price inflated makes one wonder just how must is something really worth.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I almost bought my Bernina 440 at a show. I did get a written price on it, and was assured that my local dealer would be able to do the servicing. But - when I checked with the two nearest dealers, they said that they would not be able to offer the classes and service that they offer on machines that they sell. One of the dealers did agree to meet the show price, however, and I purchased the machine through him, getting his classes and service too.
This is a really good point. I've heard very often that local shops will only offer classes and maintenance on machines from their shops. If you aren't local, I'd price the machines at the show, then call a local dealer and let them know what you want to buy, see if they'll either honor the classes/maintenance or match the price. You can't beat having the classes and/or a place to go when you need help with things. Especially where you aren't paying an arm and a leg. I know one local store where anyone with any machine, as long as you have a basic knowlege of your machine can take their classes but you do pay. The good thing about this shop, even when I was taking my low end machine and most of the class had a top of the line one, no one ever said a word because I had the machine I did. My machine did everything thiers did but some things I just had to do the old fashioned way. Like cutwork
Old 08-07-2016, 07:12 AM

Yes I will definitely ask local dealers about price matching. I do have a funny feeling, though, that this particular show won't have many dealers or machines on offer -- it's only their 3rd year and it may not be on many dealers' radar. Doesn't matter to me, much. I'll still enjoylearning and seeing the quilts!
Old 08-07-2016, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

First of all, test drive all the machines that are at the show. Make notes comparing features, pricing and what felt comfortable. These machines can not be sold as new, they are called open boxes. If there is one you have fallen for, just ask the dealer what all he will include. They don't want to be have to package these machine up and bring them back to their place of business. I found it to be very much like buying a new car. And don't be hesitate when making a deal to tell one what the other is offering.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:17 AM

I really think it is always best to buy from a reliable dealer who provides service and lessons when making a large investment. It pays in the long run I believe. Happy shopping.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:32 AM

Yes, definitely a good time/place to buy. I looked around first and then bought at the end of the show. Your preference. Other questions, you will have to inquire at the booth how they work. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by McGargantuette View Post
Thanks for all the helpful ideas and information! I would like to buy from a local dealer if possible. But a great price on a demo might persuade me otherwise. I am looking for a good basic quilting machine, preferably mechanical, with at least a 9" harp if possible, knee bar, needle up/down, and adjustable presser foot pressure. (A little worried that it might be too fast for my nonexistent skills at this point ;-). I'm thinking something like a Juki 2000 or 2010? Maybe dealers bring mostly computerized machines to shows though?
think you ill have trouble finding a mechanical with a needle up/down features--but that alone would be worth it to get a computerized! Also, with a computerized, you can get machines where you can adjust the speed, which is nice when FMQ on it. So don't be afraid of a computerized--some very nice machines. I've been very pleased with my Elna (which is made by Janome).
Old 08-07-2016, 01:23 PM

QShortTimer, I know you are right -- I don't see many mechanicals with the features I'd like. The Juki TL and HZL-F series seem to have most /all I'm wanting, but I don't see mechanical Berninas equipped with them. I started out thinking I'd like a Janome memory craft of some sort, but they are more computer than I'm wanting. I would like to find a mechanical, since I'm not interested in fancy stitches etc. and I fear that, like our cars, more computerized features = more to go wrong and more expensive repairs. Realistically, I'm sure that a straight stitch mechanical with the desired features would make me very happy, especially since I will probably still have my Janome Magnolia with more than enough zigzag and stretch stitches for any future needs. The hunt continues!
Old 08-07-2016, 04:24 PM

Don't be afraid to ask about previously owned machines. If they offer a warranty, you can't go wrong.

I purchased a used Brother PQ1500 used for $400, which is about half of normal retail. You can usually find it on sale for $599 or $699. It is an awesome machine. Straight stitch only, knee lift, auto thread cutter, 1500 spm, 9" harp, needle threader, extension table, and it is mechanical. I bought it 5 or 6 years ago and haven't had a single problem with it.