Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying a downloadable pattern >

Buying a downloadable pattern

Buying a downloadable pattern

Old 11-19-2016, 12:15 PM

The pattern downloads straight to your computer. Do you not have a printer? If you do, then click on the pattern to open it and then print it out. Save the pattern of the computer in case you have to re-print it (the dog ate it?)
Old 11-19-2016, 03:33 PM

I have had luck with downloading, just dowloaded and out it in the documents. I'm guessing that it is an honor thing, you could always copy a pattern that you bought from a store. (Well, some you can't I guess. I usually make a copy of a pattern 'cause I ten to write all over them, I had one that I tried to copy, something was embedded in the original pattern that made it impossible to read the copy).
Old 11-19-2016, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
The pattern downloads straight to your computer. Do you not have a printer? If you do, then click on the pattern to open it and then print it out. Save the pattern of the computer in case you have to re-print it (the dog ate it?)
Yes I do have a printer but the copies are not so great so thought the copy store would make better copies.

And just to clarify ... I was asking about sharing pattern not because I was planning on it, as I would treat a PDF the same as a regular pattern. I was just curious about restrictions. My main concern was about how many times I could access it or if there was a time restriction. Sometimes I'll buy a pattern and not make it for months, even years. And I might look at it a dozen times while I decide my next project.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:04 AM

Default Buying downloadable patterns

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
I have never bought a pattern that you have to download and I'm not sure how the process works. Does it come as an attachment that you save to the computer, open and print? Can I then send the file to a photocopy place to get it printed? How does the seller control how many people one could send a pattern to? It would seem to me that a PDF would make it a lot easier for a pattern to be shared as opposed to making actual copies which is not allowed. Are there restrictions with a PDF?
Of course we should not share downloadable patterns unless the author/digitizer says we may do so. All designs and patterns are copyrighted. When I buy eBooks from Martingale, there is the sentence at the bottom of each page stating that it is for the sole use of myself, the purchaser. Some designs are licensed for teachers and are limited to a certain number of usages. Inklingo, for instance, sells design sets which download in the form of a book and we have a key to open that book for 200 days books cannot be opened without the key. OfficeWorks have sometimes refused to print patterns from books because of breaching copyright.

Last edited by Ada Shiela; 11-20-2016 at 04:05 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-20-2016, 05:33 AM

I purchase lots of patterns on line. I never share copies with anyone. If I paid for a pattern, why shouldn't others, if they want the pattern. I am more than happy to tell them where they can purchase it. I often think that if I designed patterns for sale, I would not like copies made and distributed. However, I usually make a working copy for my use to make notations on, if I make changes.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:15 AM

I have purchased the downloadable patterns. I usually print them on my home printer. I guess it is just an honesty thing. There is nothing to stop you from copying a printed pattern and sharing it either. No one watches you when you use the printers at the copy center to see if you are copying something you shouldn't.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:18 AM

Default down load pattern

Be careful. I tried to download a pattern once and when the download failed[don't know why] the seller would not let me try again and I lost that purchase. I only buy printed patterns now ,even if they cost a little more. Diane C.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

This is what I do. After printing though, I have scanned the pattern and saved to Dropbox and put on a flash drive. I don't share patterns I purchase. I have been asked to "borrow" and told the "borrower" I had to pay $ for it and so should they.
Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I download to my computer and print out a copy to work with and one to save in a binder. I always make a copy of any pattern to use while I make it.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Diane C. View Post
Be careful. I tried to download a pattern once and when the download failed[don't know why] the seller would not let me try again and I lost that purchase. I only buy printed patterns now ,even if they cost a little more. Diane C.
I doubt that would happen now. A messed up download and no recourse would ruin the seller. I've seen first hand that one poster who posts about a problem on Facebook from a website/shop/seller and it only takes a few hours for her problem to be cleared up. The readers are smart. They can spot a sore loser from a wronged customer in seconds.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:20 PM

I always purchase download patterns, yes it comes as an attachment in pdf format; you do not have to resize once print you tape together. I have not had any issues, or problems with the process and it is much cheaper this way; most vendors do offer the original pattern.