Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying a downloadable pattern >

Buying a downloadable pattern

Buying a downloadable pattern

Old 11-21-2016, 08:18 AM

I've purchased downloads numerous times.
However....
I usually try to buy from sellers who also send the file as an attachment to your email. That way, if there is a download problem, you can always go back to the email and open it again.

Since I'm an technology nerd, I also usually make a "back-up" copy of the PDF on my external drive. I've worked with computers for 25+ years, and I get a little anal about back-ups.

If the site will let you "direct" the PDF download, you should have a folder set up for your patterns, and save it to that location. If it will not, and you only have the pop-up message that allows you to open it, go ahead and open it, then "Save As" to the location you've set up for these PDF's.

I've only had download issues once or twice, and contacting the seller usually results in a follow-up email with the PDF attached.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:16 PM

I download patterns that I buy and put them in a file I created in my documents file...I call it quilt related.

It's also full of ideas and pictures of things I like.

If I really cared about it, I wouldn't let Craftsy hold it for me--I'd download it AND let Craftsy keep in my account. I have a lot of free ones in my Craftsy account, but if I actually paid for it, I go ahead and download it and make sure I have access to it.

I'd be irritated if a PDF only let me open it a certain number of times. Really irritated. In fact, if I had that happen to me, I'd probably not buy that person's pattern again and warn anyone I knew about it not to buy it. For me, it's a principle thing. If I buy a paper pattern, I can open it every day of every year and stare at it all I want--I can pin it to my wall in my sewing room and dream about it, if I want to. Why would a designer of a pdf put a restriction on you...they shouldn't, IMO.

As to what's stopping you from sharing? The same thing that's stopping you from sharing mp3s...hopefully an awareness of the law and a desire to keep your favorite designer, designing.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

I am computer dumb this morning.. i downloaded a pattern. pdf will open but no option anywhere to print. just do not see one!! grrrr. anyone? my son may help me when he gets home. took me awhile to get it to download at all. the seller sent again which was nice of her. as it is, i'm already working on my hex quilt without this.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I am computer dumb this morning.. i downloaded a pattern. pdf will open but no option anywhere to print. just do not see one!! grrrr. anyone? my son may help me when he gets home. took me awhile to get it to download at all. the seller sent again which was nice of her. as it is, i'm already working on my hex quilt without this.
i'm pretty sure all pdf's open in Adobe reader. on the top menu, to the left, click on File. Scroll down and you will find Print. it occurs to me that you may be looking at a pdf on a website and there is no Download button. Hover your mouse near the top and another menu appears. To the right is a symbol of a down arrow with a straight line under it... that is the download button... click on it and the pdf should appear on your screen in Adobe reader... you can print it as above.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-18-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:36 PM

I have downloaded patterns from Quilt Pro, and when my computer crashes (and I buy a new computer) they help me download them again. They keep excellent records and will assist in any problems of downloading the patterns. Loved their 'special sales' on various patterns. Foundation quilting with pattern of 50 stars was also willing to work with me getting it back on a new computer. I don't miss that copy of a backup disk.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
i downloaded a pattern. pdf will open but no option anywhere to print. just do not see one!!
You don't need any buttons. Just hold down CTRL and click P. If you have a Mac, hold down the Command key and click P.

Also, it's better to download and then print, rather than printing straight from a website. Sometimes the scaling is off when you print from the web.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:07 PM

I have downloaded patterns numerous times. They come as PDF files. Very easy to use.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

I just bought a pattern on Etsy and downloaded and printed it. I won't share it. I don't think it's fair to the seller of the pattern. She designed it.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I download to my computer and print out a copy to work with and one to save in a binder. I always make a copy of any pattern to use while I make it.

I do something similar. I make a copy of my original print-out and write "working copy" on it. I make my own notations on this copy for my future reference and file it with the original -- just in case I made changes to the original -- this way if I decide to make another, I don't have to redo my work. The pattern is up-to-date.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

got it printed. the first page showing the quilt and directions would never print. i did a printscreen and put into a Word document i happened to have two other pics in to print , so at least i got it that way. still not sure the templates will fit together with the problem printing. i will do some in scraps soon to see.