Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying fabric at Walmart, Joann's, etc..... >

Buying fabric at Walmart, Joann's, etc.....

Buying fabric at Walmart, Joann's, etc.....

Old 08-25-2011, 10:57 AM

DogHouseMom, That was really nice of you to explain all that. I learned a lot!!. Thank you.

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Because you are doing hand applique I think it will be important to choose fabric with a close weave. A fabric that has a looser weave is going to ravel more and will make needle turning difficult if not impossible (especially if your new at it). The looser the thread count the more difficult it will be to get good straight lines and make nice smooth curves.

You should be able to see and feel the difference between a tighter weave and a looser weave. Some extreme examples are a batik (tightly woven) and a homespun (loosely woven). Or to use your bed sheet example of feel and look - the difference between a 200 thread count and a 600 or 800 thread count.

I CAN feel and see the difference in some of the Joanne's Fat Quarters I recently purchased for a small wall hanging project. I would not ever consider using these for applique.

Batiks are typically a tighter thread weave, and batiks are dyed. Calico's and other fabrics are screen printed. The main difference in dye vs screen print is that dyed fabrics the fabric is either in a dye bath or liberally painted on and the color goes through the whole cloth.

Screen prints use a series of die plates (large rubber or silicon material - like a rubber stamp), there is one for each color used. The fabric moves through a series of these die plates and is imprinted with ink on the die plate. The color "sits" on the top of the fabric, it doesn't go through.

And then there are homespuns, mostly plaids, and these are made by weaving different color threads - so like a batik the color is all the way through. These may still be quality fabrics, using quality cotton - but the nature of the weave lends them to a limited number of uses - typically not applique, but they are used quite often in pieced quilts. Although come to think of it, I have felt some homespuns that are a nice tight weave that I would use in applique.

The quality of the fabric has more to do with the type of greige (raw material) used, and the process used to weave it.

Some fabric, a lot of the Asian prints come to mind, are a thicker greige/weave, a bit stiffer to the hand. I personally wouldn't want to needle turn one of these.

If I were going to take the time to hand applique a Baltimore Album I would use the best quality I could find.

I'd start by visiting a LQS - finger all the different type of fabric. Purchase what you think feels like good quality, nicely woven, soft fabric. Buy a fat quarter of one batik and one screen print. Then go to Joanne's and do the same thing. Take them home and make small tests blocks of each of them - just cut a simple applique of a heart (has curves, straight lines, and points) and hand applique it to muslin (or the other half of one of the fat quarters) and see how each of the fabrics behave. You'll know more by working with each of them than you will from any of us talking about it.

And I have to add ... new to quilting and wanting to do Balitmore Album. You go girl!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 11:00 AM

i am with cjomomma I buy what i like but refuse to pay 12$ for a yard of fabric
Old 08-25-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Some folks on here will tell you to buy only LQS but I won't. I shop Walmart fabric and have been extremely happy with the quilts I make. You just want to make sure that the fabric isn't too thin. Honestly I've seen fabric at the LQS that I wouldnt put in a quilt. Every place has their good and bad fabric. For me it's all about the price tag, I can't afford the expensive stuff especially when I can find the same item cheaper else where.
exactly
Old 08-25-2011, 11:49 AM

I try to buy from my LQS at least once a year. I am all in favor of the 'mom&pop' stores in our country being kept alive, but I also know that if I was limited to just the LQS, I would only sew once every couple of years (fixed income). So, all I can tell you is ask about color fastness, check for it, and get the fiber content you want. Where ever you buy fabric, you are helping keep people working. That is never a bad thing. If it is not nice to your senses when you buy it, it will not get better with use. It's your quilt, do it your way! :thumbup:
Old 08-25-2011, 11:54 AM

In my humble opinion, I shop all because I'd hate for any of them to not carry fabric. With the price of gas I think it's cheaper for me to go to the LQS as opposed to driving an hour round trip to get to Joanns or Walmart.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:01 PM

I like to go to quilt shops,but Ihave seen some not so nice fabric at them. I have bought at JOAnns-they had some really nice Batiks $8.99 a yard(used my 40% coupon) I liked the look and feel of it. Like every one says be careful and choose wisely grasshopper-
Old 08-25-2011, 12:18 PM

I have purchased fabric from all of the places you mention. When they say 'thin', I think they mean thread count. Some fabric is thin, but beautiful and great quality.
On the other hand, some fabric has a lower thrread count and just feels less silky, even rough. Since you are doing Baltimore Album, you will need small pieces of many fabrics. Fat quarters from an expensive shop might not be too bad and do not forget your friends. I have given may pieces (large scraps) to a friend who was doing an applique quilt and delighted to find someone who wanted them.
Someone just gave me a blouse that is hopelessly out of date color and style-wise, but beautiful material. It has found a home.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:23 PM

I do plan on purchasing quality fabric. I'm a new quilter and I don't know much about fabric and what qualifies a 'good' fabric and what isn't. After all of the suggestions I've received here on the QB, I am learning quickly. I do want my quilt to be a family heirloom. I will also be sure to add a quilt label as well. thanks for your tips and suggestions. I really appreciate it....Babs

Originally Posted by mmonroe
I purchase the quality of the fabric for the quality of the project I am making. For a quilted project for the kitchen that will be washed frequently, I tend to purchase less expensive materials. However, if I am making an heirloom quilt, then I make sure the time I invests matches the quality of the fabric I am investing in. Some of the quilts I make are quick projects, and for that, I tend to go to Joann's or Walmart. It just depends on how much time/effort I am investing.

It sounds like to me, the quilt you are planning to make would be considered an heirloom quilt. I hope you purchase quality fabrics, where ever that may be.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:25 PM

ATTENTION ATTENTIION Joanne online shioppers. They have other Ott lights on sale. There is one called the utility bar. It was recommendd by a person on the Viking site. They love the extra light. It was attached to their long arm.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:27 PM

buy 100 percent cotton for the best results - wash, wear, etc. I like Kona if I use a solid, and love batiks for colorful quilts. There are many good brands, but as another reader said, make sure the fabric is not thin, for best results.