Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying fabric at Walmart, Joann's, etc..... >

Buying fabric at Walmart, Joann's, etc.....

Buying fabric at Walmart, Joann's, etc.....

Old 08-25-2011, 12:49 PM

I usually buy mine at Joanns and Hobby Lobby because there are no shops close to my home..I did however take a road trip last month and did some shop hopping and was really impressed with the quilt shops I found..The only difference I found at the LQS was the variety of fabric...just wonderful..They had most of the fabric that Joanns and Hobby Lobby had and actually the prices I found were the same (more or less)...I would suggest that you go and check out your LQS and decide for yourself...Post picts of quilt when your finished, would love to see it!!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 01:28 PM

A few years ago I was invited to go to a "special" sale at a quilt store about 50 miles from where I live. I had never been to the shop but had heard wonderful reports about the shop and the fabrics. When I got there I saw a lady that I had met while on vacation and spoke with at a Walmart store fabric dept. in a town about 200 miles from where I live. She was buying bolt after bolt from the $2.00 per yard fabric sale table and wondered what on earth she was going to do with all that fabric. Well, I found out! She owned this quilt store and the $2 yard fabric now had a $6.99 price tag. I didn't buy any of her "special" sale fabric or anything else and I never went back. I have never said this to anyone locally but I sure have wanted to everytime the name of the shop came up.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:35 PM

I don't think it really matters where you buy it, as long as you buy the better quality, not one that looks and feels like gauze. I buy Wal-Mart, Jo Anns all the time, Fabric.com is a good place to order fabric. I have even scored brand new quality fabric at our local thrift store.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:41 PM

Have you ever hear of "You get what you pay for?" If you want your LQS to stay in business, shop there. If you don't want a LQS in your town buy from Walmart or Joann's.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:44 PM

My grandmother made hundreds of quilts. Most of them were made from the scraps she had like many quilters from that day. I have seen how some of the blocks shred and some are just not there any longer. I try to use fabric that won't do that. I would like for the quilts I spend so much time on to last, and last, and last.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cynthia Ayers
Have you ever hear of "You get what you pay for?" If you want your LQS to stay in business, shop there. If you don't want a LQS in your town buy from Walmart or Joann's.
I really get frustrated by this over simplified sentiment I've seen many times. Sometimes LQS prices are not an option. So if you can't afford to go to the LQS should you just not buy fabric anywhere else ever? Not always being able to afford them doesn't mean you are sitting around WANTING them to go out of business.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:50 PM

I agree with serenitybygrace. It is too much work to make a quilt only to have it shred or fall apart because inappropriate fabric was used. Baby quilts get a lot of wear and tear and they are washed frequently so you definitely don't want to use crummy fabric in them. If you need to watch your budget, buy high quality fabric from LQS that has a sale section. You can get inexpensive high quality fabric this way.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:54 PM

Didn't mean to be offensive. Just my thoughts on quality of fabric. Many of the LQS in Montana have gone out of business but Walmart and Joann's keep going. If the big chains sold high quality fabric at a discount it would be great! But they don't seem to do that. Quilting can be an expensive hobby.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:56 PM

Oh no I didn't find it offensive. But there are plenty of posts I see around that almost sound like people are intentionally wanting to see LQS fail just because they bought a yard at Hobby Lobby.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:59 PM

Well, I would just encourage all to use quality fabric to make sure their time is well spent, not wasted.