Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying fabric at Walmart, Joann's, etc..... >

Buying fabric at Walmart, Joann's, etc.....

Buying fabric at Walmart, Joann's, etc.....

Old 08-25-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn
You will get many opinions as to where to shop.

When I started I also did not understand 'the difference', but with years of 'feeling' and studying, yes, I have become a fabric 'snob'.

Here is a article about making fabrics, to help you understand (a little).
http://quiltbug.com/articles/choosing-fabric.htm
Thanks for that article Grammy Dwynn!

Right now i am making a scrap quilt...with YEARS of scraps....into a log cabin pattern. It is SO interesting to FEEL the difference between all the fabric scraps that I have. And believe me, you can feel the difference. Lots of fun to see how my taste has changed in pattern, color and quality over the years.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:36 PM

I purchase most of my fabrics at JoAnns and like the quality but I always "feel" first. I purchased what I thought was a quality fabric from a LQS and it fell apart the first time the guilt was washed It was only one piece of many in a logcabin quilt so I was able to mend the seams but what a job.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:40 PM

With prices of cotton fabrics going up, I'm doing more shopping online at Connecting Threads for yardage and in their clearance section. Just got a box of CT fabric with several of the leaf stamp fabrics from the 'seconds' in clearance and they are wonderful, for less than $2yd. Also some of the batiks that are in clearance at less than $6yd.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:48 PM

I buy what I am looking for and where I can get the best price. I just went on line for christmas fabric for 6 children's fabric. I couldn't find what I was looking for at any local store; Joann's, Walmart or LQS.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Some folks on here will tell you to buy only LQS but I won't. I shop Walmart fabric and have been extremely happy with the quilts I make. You just want to make sure that the fabric isn't too thin. Honestly I've seen fabric at the LQS that I wouldnt put in a quilt. Every place has their good and bad fabric. For me it's all about the price tag, I can't afford the expensive stuff especially when I can find the same item cheaper else where.
I AM JUST LIKE YOU ON THIS DEAL ALSO.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:11 PM

Buy what you can afford. Quilts through out history have been done that way. Some of the most beautiful and long lasting are thoose made from scrap clothes etc. It's not neccesary to bust the bank to keep up with Suezy snob.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:20 PM

Buy what YOU like and can AFFORD. i shop at all the places mentioned..i drive 45 minutes to Saline,and Tecumseh Mi. to buy at quilt shops i like..i like the owners and like to see the newer stuff out. but i will continue to buy at JA,Hobby Lobby and Walmart..

i was crapped at because i bought a 750 Honda Motorcycle..hubby and friends all have Harleys..well i say.."when you start sleeping with me and paying for my stuff, you can have a say in what i buy." and that doesn't even fly in my house, just ask the DH.

now there is a lady here,from Raleigh,NC that is going to have to give up quilting because she,for whatever reasons,can't afford to get out to buy fabric. i am in the middle of putting together a package for her, even though i didn't reply to her post..was going to just quietly share. and i am pretty sure she will except anything that is sent..no matter where it came from.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:41 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

as there different quality bed sheets, so are there various quality fabric. I won't put less than 600 thread count on our beds but I buy fabric from alll kinds of sources. everyone has a budget, a personal taste for colors, and we all want to be able to ENJOY the process. so, buying from walmart, if your store has fabric, may be ok. like others said-shop, feel, price and do what is right for you. and believe me-the sheets are the only splurge in my home. I just really like the softness.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:05 PM

should you be in the store, I guage by hand, the feel, the weight etc. I buy fabric from every place that sells it but I always make sure I enjoy the "hand"
Old 08-25-2011, 04:18 PM

To Just Sue...Thanks for the info. I'm new to quilting too so am looking for all the info I can get.