Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Buying fabric for when I retire... doesn't quit work for me..

I have soooooooooooooo much fabric that I will have to live 2 lifetimes to use it up but I have faith that I will

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I think stocking up on good thread, batting and backing fabric would be a better stash for retirement. Those are basic and always cost more then you want to spend.
    My concern about this idea is that the quality & styles of fabric changes over the yrs. Thread changes too. I have stuff I've saved for many yrs. & now I found that the thread has deteriorated & the quality of fabrics has changed so much I won't even use it. It's on its way to the thrift store.
    Unless you plan to retire in the very near future, I'd be concerned about spending $ we can't spare for things we may not want to use in the future. Your interest in quilting may change, too. Just my thought.

Leakus: I buy fabric when I see and like it. Enjoy

I have been adding to my stash for 10 plus years. When I find a good Sale, I stock up on supplies & fabric. When my DH retires, I will be well set. Of course I'll still buy fabric but not like I do now when I find a good bargain or Sale. LOL

20 years ago I began to "stockpile" fabric for "someday"
    Well someday is here now! I have not worked for the past 10 years, DH is a nursing home, fiances are tight- but my stockpile is keeping me sane and I have learned to make due and be quite creative with colors and patterns.

The real joy comes when I give away quilts to Linus or lap robes to the nursing home. Someone always brings me more fabric!

Evelyn

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I cant buy any fabric, but the wonderful people on this board have made it possible for me to have a small stash. I just hope sss will come through, so I can someday pay it forward. and so I can have a bigger stash to work from. God bless. Penny

I'm on disability so my spending is limited, but I have a "stash" and try to add to it with blenders, backing, thread and batting when on sale w/coupons is available. I've got enough thread and batting to last me for quilte a while. I don't have huge quantities of fabrics because my tastes have definitely changed in the short time since I started quilting. I'll find a way to make the money stretch for something that I want or need!

My sister's dream was to have a quilting business when she retired. Unfortunately, she lost her battle with colon cancer at age 58. She had her house & 2 storage facilities filled with fabric & books. I have been sending her quilt books all over the world as I find new homes for them. Unfortunately, I think a lot of her fabric got trashed as it was just too much to deal with & I was too far away. She was totally addicted to fabric and I'm afraid spent beyond her means which really became a problem when she was unable to work. Remember to build that rainy day fund for the unexpected as well as building your stash for the future.

I once heard a person say that she went to places like Goodwill, as well as garage sales, and would buy shirts or whatever she could find, then cut them up and use them for making quilts. She once found a wedding dress that had been reduced way down and she made satin Christmas ornaments from it - lace, pearls, and all.

I retired almost a year ago and my stash is not complete. As long as new fabrics and patterns are introduced I realize that the fabric I already have does not quite work. However,I can put a quilt top together with what I have, but I do like to concider the new fabrics and patterns.

I did exactly that...buy for retirement. At least, that was my excuse: I should buy while still working and could afford to build a big stash and buy kits and buy yardage, not to mention books and patterns! Now that retirement is a reality (last week), I gotta break some habits. But your idea was the same as mine...I couldn't make anything from my piddly little stash.

I would buy it if you like it. I find that I always regret not buying more. There are so many fabrics I wished I had bought more of. Right now there are a good number of fabrics I do not care for so I have been buying way less. One thing I found is that I wished I had bought more 6 yard pieces for backing of large twin quilts and more 1 1/4 yr pieces to be used as a border. It seems I did well in the FQ department but now I need larger pieces to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodee
    I once heard a person say that she went to places like Goodwill, as well as garage sales, and would buy shirts or whatever she could find, then cut them up and use them for making quilts. She once found a wedding dress that had been reduced way down and she made satin Christmas ornaments from it - lace, pearls, and all.
    This can work really well if your area has good garage sales and resale stores. I have two friends that pretty much only buy fabric this way. They find actual yardage and also buy mumus, men's shirts, skirts etc. and make the most beautiful quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    think of what the interest rates are if you keep money invested. now think of how fast the price of fabrics is going up. i consider fabric a better investment than money in the bank. or, at today's rate, stocks and bonds.
    I was thinking the same and even my husabnd is buying for me. I do look at getting items that are not as trendy, reproduction prints, tone on tone and some how batiks fit in there. LOL

I do enjoy reading everyones ideas and experiences and am gleaning something from every post.

I buy when I see fabric that "talks" to me.
    I buy when there's a sale.
    I buy when I have a coupon i can use.
    and I buy when I have a certain project in mind.
    Also, I retired a few years back...and sorry to tell you, I seem to have less time on my hands now and wonder how I ever made time for WORK :).

I'm with you. I retired in 1996 & everyone askes me what I do with my time. I don't know how I had time to work.

Quote Originally Posted by SharonC
    I buy when I see fabric that "talks" to me.
    I buy when there's a sale.
    I buy when I have a coupon i can use.
    and I buy when I have a certain project in mind.
    Also, I retired a few years back...and sorry to tell you, I seem to have less time on my hands now and wonder how I ever made time for WORK :).

I've been buying fabric for many years now. As a school teacher, I always wanted to have things on hand for snow days (or weeks - I live in Maine). I continue to buy fabric and have an incredible stash. I favor scrap quilts, so I don't generally buy lots of any one fabric. I do purchase remnants, sale fabrics, and fat quarters. And bolts of muslin. If I have a set plan in mind, I figure out on graph paper how much of each I need. We refer to this my OCD affliction. And I hate to ever use all of a fabric up. Shortly into my quilting passion, I purchased a book called Color and Cloth by Mary Coyne Penders. I realized from doing her exercises what colors I avoided. I filled in the holes in my collection then and continue to be "very liberal" in my choices. You never really know when (in my case) orange will be just what you need. I should have enough for retirement - but that isn't gonna stop me from purchasing. My cupboards may be empty - but I "treat" myself with fabric!

How interesting is to hear what others have to say and how each aproaches the quilt experience. I am delighted with the group of people I've found here!
    Thanks all for being here!

I am 62 and don't expect to retire until 70! I love scrap quilts and applique quilts. I live about 40 miles from several fabric warehouses that have good fabric and sales. This past Friday and Sat my favorite warehouse had hundreds of bolts of beautiful good quality 100 % cotton for $2.25/yd. I had such fun stocking up and talking to all the other quilters who were there discussing what they would use their fabrics for. I usually buy 2 yds of each I chose and try to build up stash keeping in mind light, medium, and dark. Since I know I'll be working a long time to come, my motto has become less TV, more sewing! TV can really be a waste of quilting time for me!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I think stocking up on good thread, batting and backing fabric would be a better stash for retirement. Those are basic and always cost more then you want to spend.
    Great idea! I've purchased a lot of fabric without a specific project in mind and now find that I can't imagine what I was thinking when I bought it. My aunt and I have made a pact -- no project, no fabric. Thread, backing, and batting is a perfect loophole for this.....

My advice is to stock up BEFORE you retire. Lots easier to justify spending $$ when you have a paycheck!

I'm sorry I didn't do that. I still buy fabric, but not as much as I could have when I was still working. (but being retired is great)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3