Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying fabrics >

Buying fabrics

Buying fabrics

Old 08-29-2010, 08:24 PM

Well yes to all of the above.......AND Yes to any and every idea that hits me while shopping. I have been so tired and preoccupied that I buy the same thing as I've bought before when an idea is till an idea. I don't trust me. But, I need to take Sadiemae's approach. It would be safer. Good idea.

Blessings.
Ruth
Old 08-29-2010, 08:35 PM
Power Poster

You mean we are suppose to have a project in mind BEFORE buying the fabric :shock: No wonder I have so much fabric , been doing it backwards all these years ....LOL
Old 08-29-2010, 09:05 PM

I buy the fabric ahead of time not knowing what I'm making with it.

I buy it because I love the colors and design.

I have improved I used to buy 5 yards of everything now I only buy 1 to 2 yards of each design that is a big improvement on me and saving money too.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:18 PM

I said it before and I'll say it again, it is still cheaper than therapy. Some people collect coins, some stamps, we collect fabric and have the added advantage of being able to create something new with our collections.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:19 PM

I stash-build about 99% of the time. The other 1% is buying stuff that I need but don't have to finish a certain project, like backing, binding, border fabric, etc. I keep promising myself I will not do it anymore but I can't seem to stop. Now that I think about it I don't think I have ever bought fabric with a specific project in mind other than what I mentioned above.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Most of the fabric I have purchased does/did not have a pattern or a person or a project in mind before purchase. The fabric just called my name!!! It wanted to come and live at my home and have me pet it and admire it. I have enough to make a few (hundred) quilts. The patterns are just waiting to be discovered and matched with the perfect fabrics. And the time is waiting to be able to stand still so that I can make these couple (hundred) projects.
You are not alone!!!!
Gayle, I believe we were separated at birth.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:46 PM

Most of the fabric I buy is because I love it and have to have it...there is absolutely no project in mind at all...haha...when I actually do a project, if there is any little thing I need to finish I will get something specific but that is rare lol...it's just all so pretty and if I wait to find a pattern it might be gone by then :)
Old 08-29-2010, 11:32 PM

My name is scowlkat and I am a fabricaholic! There I do feel better - lol! If I had started at birth, I couldn't begin to use all my stash. Not bragging, just letting you know that if you think you have a bad habit, there is always someone who has it worse! I even bought a storage unit to hold the overflow fabric! Now since finding this board, it is going to take even longer to use it up!

I have cut way, way down on buying though since being unable to work so now am glad I had this obsession while I had the means to indulge!
Old 08-30-2010, 12:16 AM

I love this board. I finally feel at home, lol. I have fabric in every room of my house except my son's room and the bathrooms. Did I mentioned I have a basement also. I used to be embarassed when people would come over and comment on how much fabric I have. When my exhusband would complain about me buying fabric, I told him when he stop buying beer I would stop buying fabric. Needless to say neither one of us stopped. I tell everybody now what a therapist told me years ago, there are a lot of things in life worst than buying fabric. We could be addicted to drugs. I figure as long as I pay my bills, keep my children fed and clothed, I will buy a piece of fabric if that makes me feel good, without feeling guilty.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:11 AM

I look at it this way, if I ever get to retire from working, I'll have fabric. Kinda like a retirement account. Also, I pay cash and don't put fabric on a charge card. And it makes me happy.