Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying fabrics

I do that too. If it is pretty and good quality and I like it, I end up buying some of it. I have so much stash I should never buy any more fabric in my lifetime. I am trying to stay out of fabric stores at the moment but don't know how long that will last lol!

community benefactor
    You are not alone. I LOVE fabric, especially florals and batiks. Do you know how many fabrics that includes! I have started buying at least 2-3 coordinating pieces at a time. That has helped when I am looking for fabric to match with a quilt pattern. My other problem is that I sometimes don't want to cut that beautiful piece up even for a quilt, so I have to go buy more!

Susan

Bev
    [quote/]Just wondering if you ladies buy fabrics only when needed for projects, or you also collect fabrics just like me. Pls tell me that I'm not the only one who's doing this! :P

I have been trying very hard to stop myself from browsing fabric websites, so as to stop this impulse buying.[/quote]

Welcome to the club!! Most of us are in the same boat. We need to form a "Quilter's Anonymous" group. It's an addiction, and I'm not just kidding.

8-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I bought what I liked when I had money to spend. Now I try to buy only if I need it and have a plan for it. Sometimes I still falter, but I try because I just can't afford it.
    Same here. I did that till I had a better idea of what quilting was all about. Now I have a very nice stash and only buy fabric to fill in a particular color. VERY limited income.

I buy fabrics I like even if I have nothing in mind until the money runs out. (I have 72 cents in my fabric fund right now.) Guess I will be going to the stash for a while!

I buy fabric all the time without knowing what I'm going to do with it. Sometimes I have to buy just a little more fabric to make a certain quilt, or I have to much for a quilt I'm making, but it will get used one day. I bought some basic beige with a light white print on it years (12) ago. Really pretty background fabric. I think I bought 3 yds at the time, and I now have just inches left. When I pulled it from my stash, I had no idea what I was going to do with it. Then one project needed a little and another a little and so on.....and just to build my stash, I now buy full yds. even if the pattern calls for 1/4 or 1/2. I'm doing a fine job of building my stash and running out of room.

Here's my husband's logic for a good stash - you're an artist and you need to maintain a supply of raw materials - so glad I married a creative guy.

I only buy when I am shopping for a specific quilt.
    If I see a fabric I really like and know it will work in a scrappy quilt I will buy 1/2 yard or 1 yard.
    The only time I really stock up is when my LQS has the tone on tones on sale in January.

Blog Entries
    I don't think I am a fabric fabricaholic :roll: I went into hobby lobby and come out with only 2 yds. The same thing happy last week I only came out with 2 Yds. :lol: :lol:

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    You mean we are suppose to have a project in mind BEFORE buying the fabric :shock: No wonder I have so much fabric , been doing it backwards all these years ....LOL
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I bought what I liked when I had money to spend. Now I try to buy only if I need it and have a plan for it. Sometimes I still falter, but I try because I just can't afford it.
    I usually have a project in mind, BUT if I see a beautiful fabric I just can't be without I buy 2-3 yards.
    Since I have 4 grandchildren I collect childrens novelty fabrics.

I call it Spec Fabric. On the speculation I may use it someday

What comes first, the fabric or the quilt? With me its definitely the fabric every time, then I just wait for inspiration to hit me as to what to do with it.

I call it wonder fabric. I wonder what I will do with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilrain
    I call it Spec Fabric. On the speculation I may use it someday

Blog Entries
    I collect nifty fabrics also. I have found a simple pattern that lends itself to any size scraps. Everything is cut to 2 1/2" strips, then sew together 2 of them(length wise). Cut the strata into 4 1/2" strips. Now you have a square. Assemble as you like to make designs, or add frames to make the block bigger, and assemble your quilt. Don't forget to post your results. I do not have a copyright on this pattern, nor does anyone else, enjoy the process. Lovies!

I usally buy without a project in mind...just what catches my eye. And when a sale is on I will stock up on neutrals and solids. You always need those.

:D :-D :lol: I buy fabric because I love fabric. I hope someday to make something out of it . Back when It was cheaper I bought a whole lot more now I limit myself to fabric every other month, but if I did not have a 'large' stash, I could not afford to support my quilting habit.

My DH collects antique cars, and I never expect him to drive them, My brother collects stamps, and Lordy, Lordy, if one accidently gets used as postage. My son collects guns, and surely he isn't expected to shoot them much, so I collect fabric, I am a quilter so sometimes I use a little of it, but mostly its a collection and I don't intend to ever have time enough to use it all up

i but fabrics when ever im in the mood and what kind of mood im in is what kind of fabric i buy , that way i have an assortment !

I usually use what I buy except my batiks. I have a problem cutting into those beautiful pieces. :oops:

If you haven't read my fabricaholic induction club story, here is the link

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-57114-1.htm

Its self explanatory. :-)

I almost never buy fabric with a specific project in mind. Lucky for me, I love samplers - no boredom, lots of opportunity to use a variety of fabric!

Wow! I can't do that! I buy fabric whether I need it or not...I love to buy Joann's remnants, so I have a really big stash along with yardage I've bought. And I have a bookcase full of quilt books that I bought when I belonged to a book club that I joined and could get 5 or 6 books for a dollar each and then I'd be obligated to buy X amount for a year and I'd quit and rejoin again later and do the same thing. And you mentioned yarn...I have lots of that too! I guess I'm a compusive buyer! My 9 year old granddaughter seems to be getting interested in crocheting and sewing, so maybe she'll get it all. Her mom and her aunt don't seem too interested in any of it. One of my daughters-in-law has been bit by the sewing/quilting bug I think, so there's another one that can benefit from my stash!

Quote Originally Posted by Kryssa
    I only buy fabric with a project in mind. This is the way I've always been, even with yarn when I was a knitter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Nana
    I usually use what I buy except my batiks. I have a problem cutting into those beautiful pieces. :oops:
    This is what I did with my batiks.

I call it 5 easy pieces.
    Name:  Attachment-108481.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  82.3 KB

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by k9dancer
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Nana
    This is what I did with my batiks.
    Yummy, yummy colors!!
    Jan in VA

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast