Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying fabrics >

Buying fabrics

Buying fabrics

Old 08-30-2010, 03:52 AM

Personally, I am a fabricaolic........
I just love fabric..and really, if I go into a fabric store I'm not coming out without a bag - it's a rule........
Usually, I have a list of things that I am looking for for current projects..so I will shop for those first...and then I look for other interesting things that kind of make me think....
If I see some fun coordinates that I think would be fun for a future project....without having any design in my head..I will pick up anywhere from 1 yard to 2 or 3 or 4 yards of those...(did that on Saturday...in a chocolate brown and pink coloration)......
I always check the sale section to see if there something that I can add to my stash...and if so, I will pick up 1 or 2 yards of the ones that interest me the most..especially of the prices are good.....
I like to have enough in my stash so that on any given day - if I want to start a new project...whether it's because I don't want to go out - or because it's a snowy day, I can just start a new project..because of the choices that I have in my stash.....and like redvette54..if ever I ge to retire from working...or perhaps work less..I will have lots of toys to keep me busy :-)
Old 08-30-2010, 04:19 AM

Yes, I'm a fabric addict. But I have given myself a rule...never buy at regular price...if I want it, I ahve to have a coupon or wait for a sale (although I am still the Remnant Queen!
Old 08-30-2010, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mom-6
I was a fabricaholic long before I was a quilter! Beautiful fabric talks to me big time - 'buy me! buy me! buy me!' Occasionally I can practice restraint, but not very often!
Same here!! :thumbup:
Old 08-30-2010, 04:36 AM

HI my name is Patty.I am a fabriholic....and proud of it.
My stash is growing and growing and I just love it
Old 08-30-2010, 04:43 AM

Most often I have a pattern or project in mind when I buy fabric. Being on a pension income, I really can't afford to buy fabrics unless I know what I'm going to make with it. Also good quality fabric is not cheap here - some batiks run to $15 - $20 a metre and some of the brand name fabrics can be $12 - $15 a metre - that's Canadian dollars. I do pick up the odd fat quarter and am slowly building a stash of them. I also order online from Over the Rainbow, Hancocks of Paducah, and other online shops when I can get a really good price. Even with the exchange, shipping and handling added on, I can get some really good deals.

I look at some of the pictures of the stashes here on this board and I am consumed with envy!!
Old 08-30-2010, 04:50 AM

I too am a fabriholic. I made a rule this year to buy no more. I too am out of stash space. I confess I broke my rule a couple of times, but I am trying to use my stash and only my stash this year. When I buy it HAS to be on sale. If the fabric is less than $5/yd. I'm looking. I just got back from visiting my DS and 2 grands in Seattle. They don't see the need to visit fabric shops, so I only hit one and went to Martingale publishing for their tour and scratch and dent store at the end. So I did come back with about 10 yds. and lots of books. I try to sell them when I'm done with them and I'm thinking of selling quilts or patterns to help off set my addiction costs. HIH
Old 08-30-2010, 04:50 AM

When I find a fabric that "speaks" to me, I buy yards. Sometimes, a FQ just isn't enough. The right pattern will come along or I will make something up to do with it.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I have stopped buying impulse fabric, just cause I can't afford it. I only buy if it for a project I'm working on or for a near future one. The fabric I have no plans for is either given away or sold on here. If I have too much clutter I lose my creativity.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:54 AM

I'm am also a member of this "club". I don't have a large amount of fabric in my stash but I do buy more than I'll prob ever use in my lifetime. I dread the day my DIL has to come in and get rid of things--I can just see her rolling her eyes!!

One problem I have is: I bought some fabric that I think is just too pretty to cut!! I had a vague idea of a project when I bought it, but now I just keep looking at it and petting it and don't want to cut it. Do any of you have this problem??
Old 08-30-2010, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

I've spent years building my stash, and I buy fabric if it speaks to me. Lately tho, I haven't, since I lost my job. Now I need to sell stuff~