Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying fabrics

I read your story and liked it. You're NUTZ!!! (meant in a good way) I hope your friend didn't leave you in the lurch as you did her! hehehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnejean
    If you haven't read my fabricaholic induction club story, here is the link

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-57114-1.htm

Its self explanatory. :-)
    :twisted:

Think we are all in the same boat.....

Quote Originally Posted by vivientan
    I have this bad habit of buying nice fabrics, especially precuts such as FQs, charm squares, jelly rolls etc, even though I do not have any projects in mind. Then I will search for suitable projects to use them, when it should be the other way round. Now I have too many fabrics lying around, waiting to be used!

Just wondering if you ladies buy fabrics only when needed for projects, or you also collect fabrics just like me. Pls tell me that I'm not the only one who's doing this! :P

I have been trying very hard to stop myself from browsing fabric websites, so as to stop this impulse buying.
    Hmmm "too many fabrics lying around..." what the heck does that even MEAN?? ROFL

Quote Originally Posted by k9dancer
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Nana
    I usually use what I buy except my batiks. I have a problem cutting into those beautiful pieces. :oops:
    This is what I did with my batiks.
    K9dancer,
    Beautiful!!!
    I love it.
    thanks

A lot of fabrics call my name and tell me to take them home with me. Some of the time I can resist. Most of the time I end up with yardage not just a FQ.

Better to have the fabric when an idea hits you than not having it. Build your stash! I know some quilters who look at and feel their fabrics for the sheer joy. They call it their "worship center." LOL

I love fabric shopping--but what I usually do is buy what I need for a project I have in mind. I always buy more than the pattern calls for just in case.... When I made my Cinco de Mayo quilt I bought tubs of fat quarters. Mostly bright geometric fabrics in many colors. Sometimes I did buy half yards. Now that the quilt is finished I have many scraps. so one of my next projects will be using my leftovers for a Coin quilt for my son. I notice many of you buy several yards of fabrics just because you like them--I have never gotten in the habit of doing that. There have also been times I get fabrics for a certain project, but decide later to use it for a completely different project. I purchased a large, bright, red, gold, purple floral print, made a purse. I felt so bad that I used that fabric and when I ran across it later I purchased a full yard--which I have never used. I am tempted to have a piece of it framed, so I will always have it. Do any of you do crazy things like that??

I usually use what I buy except my batiks. I have a problem cutting into those beautiful pieces. :oops:
    Absolutely beautiful quilt!

OMG!! It's really hilarious! This is what can come out of quilters with a compulsive addiction to fabrics! :lol:

I use to buy and buy fabric and kits, my reasoning was to have a good stash when I retired. well I've retired from my government job after 29 years. Now I own a Tanning salon so I can still buy fabric and kits. But really I have started to reduce my buying and have also used some of the ideas from suggestions on this forum. Finding fabric at Goodwill has now been my thrill of the day.

Sometime last year, I bought fabrics at a clearance sale, some with projects in mind. Then recently as I took out those fabrics to see, I have forgotten what I intend to do with them earlier! LOL. So ended up using some for a new table runner that I'm working on now. ;-)

Power Poster
    I used to live to go the quilting stores to buy fabric and supplies but I finally learned a couple of years ago to look at my stash first and this has been working for me.

Thank God there are only a couple of fabric stores near where I'm staying. If not I will go broke! :lol: But still the Internet is so easily accessible, I can't help but want to surf online craft stores on a regular basis. :P

I'm a fabric-holic, when I see a beautiful fabric I buy it as I may not ever see it again.
    I have been "shopping" from my stash more often as I need to reduce it a lot.
    Some fabrics are just to pretty to cut into. Stamp & Coin collectors aren't expected to spend their collections; why should we?

I just love fabric. I am trying to orgasnize my sewing room and realized how much fabric I have bought over the last few months. I am now calling a halt to fabric buying, but it is very hard. Usually when I have a project, I still have to buy more fabric. My husband said if I buy one more piece of fabric the house will cave in.

Quote Originally Posted by mom-6
    I was a fabricaholic long before I was a quilter! Beautiful fabric talks to me big time - 'buy me! buy me! buy me!' Occasionally I can practice restraint, but not very often!
    I have this bad habit of buying nice fabrics, especially precuts such as FQs, charm squares, jelly rolls etc, even though I do not have any projects in mind. Then I will search for suitable projects to use them, when it should be the other way round. Now I have too many fabrics lying around, waiting to be used!

Just wondering if you ladies buy fabrics only when needed for projects, or you also collect fabrics just like me. Pls tell me that I'm not the only one who's doing this!

Not only both of you ladies...counting me up too....I've been fabricaholic since I was teenager. whenever I went for fabric shopping seeing more some beautiful fabric after shopping was done and my money ran out of my purse so fast until I couldn't buy them more. I couldn't sleep...they were always on mine..then the next day I returned to that store and took them home with happiness......

I don't think your alone :lol:
    I also will impulse buy fabrics that have called me to me when I have no project in mind for them. However, these days I am only buying what I need for a specific project as my main goal is to finish building our house. Mainly being the operative word here as yes I slip up occasionally :roll:

Maybe1day

Blog Entries
    I, too, have a problem of cutting into beautiful fabric. What if I need it for a better project and it would be just the perfect piece?? Or, what if I cut into it and ruin it. I have nightmares about that. I have a large stash, but I love every piece I've bought. I just need to get over this problem and start quilting!

That's pretty and I love purples of any shade!

Face it - quilter's LOVE fabric and whether we need it or not, we have to make it ours to play with it and look at. I have some fabric that is so pretty I just can't even cut it...isn't that sad? Fabric is like having toys to me.

Blog Entries
    I have willed my fabric to my quilter buddies. I only hope I can use a lot of it first!

Blog Entries
    try the pattern called just cant cut it

Quote Originally Posted by vivientan

OMG!! It's really hilarious! This is what can come out of quilters with a compulsive addiction to fabrics! :lol:
    LOL she should write a book

Quote Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN
    My DH collects antique cars, and I never expect him to drive them, My brother collects stamps, and Lordy, Lordy, if one accidently gets used as postage. My son collects guns, and surely he isn't expected to shoot them much, so I collect fabric, I am a quilter so sometimes I use a little of it, but mostly its a collection and I don't intend to ever have time enough to use it all up
    Can't argue with that logic!

Love it. Great color combos!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast