Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Buying fabrics

Quote Originally Posted by New knee
    Better to have the fabric when an idea hits you than not having it. Build your stash! I know some quilters who look at and feel their fabrics for the sheer joy. They call it their "worship center." LOL

I have a medical question. Do you know of anyone who's ever been hauled off in a straight jacket for "playing with their fabric?". I have a few pieces that I just lay over my shoulder and pet. (and coo to!)

I know that feeling Gayle. I saw some ballet dancer fabric half price at my LQS and thought I did not need that but when I found out my niece was having another girl I thought I would do a quilt with ballet dancers on it. The shop had sold out. and now today I find that they had ballet shoes for $10 per meter so I bought a meter INCASE you know. I am lucky I still have a LITTLE room for more fabric, but the baby quilt will take out a bit of fabric. I only bought the feature fabric and so teal to make it. I am waiting for the Stitches and Craft Show in October so I can buy more of that wonderful fabric.

I have this happen to me all the time and keep telling myself that it's a quilt before I think of buying the fabrics.Lots of dreams lots of ambition is there a cure?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I can't buy fabric, so I don't have that problem. God bless.

Lockeb that is how I feel about going to dolls shows. I have to get A doll it does not matter how much it costs as long as i have the money and want that doll. I too an a fabricaholic and I buycolored cardboard boxes and put the fabric in them. Since the money is mine I can but what I want if I see what I want and I buy what I like. I still buy 5 meters if the price is right in case I am doing a big quilt and need the length of fabric instead of having to join two pieces together. This is the best medicine for me because when I was having panic attacks a few weeks ago, By getting onto this site and reading your messages made me relaxed enough to go to sleep with out any problems,THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH. :thumbup: :thumbup:I found out that it is cheaper to buy by the meter that fat quarts, because they put a bit extra on the price of the fat quarters to cover cutting the fabric and you don't get enough for a project unless it is a small quilt.

I would love to buy by the yards and own every single fabric from the same collection. But it would be too expensive to do so, hence I usually get the FQs or other pre-cuts. At least I still have a bit of everything to admire and drool over. :-o

Lynjean, I read your oath and I am glad I did. It gave me a little laugh thinking how you went about getting guilt free of fabric( for a while any way) :thumbup:

It has been close, but I am sure once or twice my gorgeous husband has been on the point of calling the men in white coats to take me away!

Blog Entries
    Well, while I'm working, if I want it, I buy it. I justify my fabric buying habit by telling myself "it's for when I retire." Sure hope I get to retire soon, or there won't be any room for me in my house.

Blog Entries
    I do both. Many times I have bought for a project but, because life gets in the way, I'm not able to start my project. I've built up quite a stash. At other times, I will be in the store and see some fabric that just calls out to me and if it does, I usually buy about 3 yards.

What I discovered is that what I buy can be mixed and match very easily. I seem to go for a certain intensity in color. I made my URR blocks all from my stash and I loved the way the different colors would blend and work together. That has given me confidence to buy more fabric, even if I don't have a project planned for it at that time.

Oh, oh, oh, not an illness! Or I've got the illness too. But I have begun to use these treasures recently. Made a slue of holiday little girl aprons to sell at local bezaar. Have collected these ribbons, remnants, & lace for years. The aprons went together fast & fun; hope they sell. Then I can hit the January clearance for more stuff!!!!

Banned
    Hello. My name is Theresa and I am a fabric-holic.

I buy fabric I like! When I see something that is fabulous it 'sparks an idea' of how I would like to use it.
    Not once have I purchased a pattern first - then looked for fabric; doesn't work for me.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    You mean we are suppose to have a project in mind BEFORE buying the fabric :shock: No wonder I have so much fabric , been doing it backwards all these years ....LOL
    Holy Cow I've been backwards too!!! :thumbup:

I cant walk past a fabric store without buying something.. It seems so wrong for me to leave empty handed !!!!

You are not alone. But I find those "unspecified" purchases always find a home, sooner or later. Look on the bright side... you'll always have a good stash. :)

If we don't keep buying all the fabric we love, then they won't have room for more fabric that we will love. Seems like a win win situation to me.

OMG, OMG!!! I HAVE THE SAME ADDICTION!!! I just LOVE the precuts! I started out just buying a couple charm packs. Then I wanted EVERY charm pack available. Then I graduated to layer cakes (more fabric to work with but you still get a whole collection). Now I have started buying some of those BEAUTIFUL batik strips - - Tonga Treats and Bali Pops! I spent $300 on Ebay last month and haven't started a single quilt or wallhanging from any of it. Thank goodness I don't have a husband or he would divorce me! I keep telling myself I have to STOP, but then I see something gorgeous on a fabric website or on Ebay..... HELP!!!! Where's Fabriholics Anonymous???!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustBonnie2
    OMG, OMG!!! I HAVE THE SAME ADDICTION!!! I just LOVE the precuts! I started out just buying a couple charm packs. Then I wanted EVERY charm pack available. Then I graduated to layer cakes (more fabric to work with but you still get a whole collection). Now I have started buying some of those BEAUTIFUL batik strips - - Tonga Treats and Bali Pops! I spent $300 on Ebay last month and haven't started a single quilt or wallhanging from any of it. Thank goodness I don't have a husband or he would divorce me! I keep telling myself I have to STOP, but then I see something gorgeous on a fabric website or on Ebay..... HELP!!!! Where's Fabriholics Anonymous???!!!!
    They meet at my house every Friday.

I see it. I love it. I buy it. My problem is that I buy bolts of fabric at a time. I justify it by explaining that when I retire from my "day job" and have limited income I will be able to continue to quilt, using my huge stash ---- that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by k9dancer
    Great! What time? Do I need to bring anything? Cookies, cake, fat quarters???

Fabric is good. LOL

Blog Entries
    OMG, OMG!!! I HAVE THE SAME ADDICTION!!! ... Where's Fabriholics Anonymous???!!!!
    Great! What time? Do I need to bring anything? Cookies, cake, fat quarters???
    All of those! We usually get together mid-morning; I make the coffee.

LOL This sounds so familiar! At times, I have to unsubscribe from the newsletters sent by craft stores, so I don't get to see what new beautiful fabrics they have and get tempted to take out my credit card again!
    :twisted:

Blog Entries
    Buying fabric/piecing quilt tops is also my only vice:-)Don't drink, couldn't afford to smoke (if I wanted to) & don't use much gas.Just me & puter looking for bargains.Kind of a cheap hobby....that's my story & I'm sticking to it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy
    I said it before and I'll say it again, it is still cheaper than therapy. Some people collect coins, some stamps, we collect fabric and have the added advantage of being able to create something new with our collections.

What time - I'll be there - can we fabric swap? LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussymussy
    OMG, OMG!!! I HAVE THE SAME ADDICTION!!! ...... HELP!!!! Where's Fabriholics Anonymous???!!!!
    What time - I'll be there - can we fabric swap? LOL
    Sure!
    BTW, my husband spent 3 years at RAF Locking.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast