Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying a Longarm Without a Test Drive >

Buying a Longarm Without a Test Drive

Buying a Longarm Without a Test Drive

Old 03-20-2014, 06:34 AM

I bought my A-1 without test drive. Not sorry at all. I researched on the net. You can find used ones on the net as well. I looked at the weight of the machine head and the table that had the ability to go up and down because of back problems. The machine quilting groups have a lot to say about their machines as well. Good Luck.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:51 AM

I bought my Nolting with no tryouts and it is wonderful and a true workhorse. I bought my former Tin Lizzie with many try outs and it was my worst nightmare ever. Google or read on this site about problems that have come about with the different longarm machines, past and present, and how the respective company handled them. The support from the Nolting Company is top notch. You could not ask for anything better. Also it is COMPLETELY made in the U.S.A.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

Debbie, would you buy a car without test driving it?? Just a thought. Good Luck
Old 03-20-2014, 12:43 PM

I tried out my APQS Millenium with short test drive but didn't compare others with test drive. Just did a lot of internet research and liked the way the company does business. They are all about customer support. I also love 1. The way the handles can be angled to what works best for me and/or project I'm working on. 2. Option of hydraulic lift for whole bed of machine. If I have to unstitch or pin I don't want to bend any further than I have to. 3. Option of electric quilt advance. I love being able to use the foot control to advance or unroll the quilt. Very helpful when doing custom work. Love my Millie "Matilda". And the company who made her. 😊
Old 03-20-2014, 01:41 PM

I am a fan of the Gammill--mine is top notch to me. Saying that, though, I have had problems with the tension. It has taken me, my son, and a sewing machine repairman who is certified to work on Gammills because there is no one near who can do what he has had to do to mine a long time to work our way through the problems--and I am an experienced sewing machine operator. Mine had to be delivered and installed from a town near Atlanta, GA--too far away for me to even bother with the maintenance issues involved within my four years of "free lessons and maintenance".

So, do what you feel you have to to get yourself a satisfactory quilting machine. Paducah is a good idea, unless you are getting impatient to get yours in your sewing room. And take advantage of the DH being your repairman--at $50 to $60 an hour, repair bills can get to be more than you are willing to face. Best of luck in your search, keep us posted. This is an interesting journey.....
Old 03-20-2014, 02:37 PM

I would never advise you to buy one without trying it first, especially used. I think he should either get over it (limited to an hour's drive! REALLY?!) or you should do your searching without him. It's a big expense, and one you should make carefully. I don't think your choice should be limited to whatever you can find within an hour's drive. That's too limiting for such a purchase, imho. It's not like they're for sale on every corner.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:18 PM
yel

love my innova ....went to paducha and nikki you are right they have them all ...........i got a 3 day pass and went around test drove all of them ....made notes ....test drove them all again .....check -scratch-price-will it fit in the house-do i really NEED it,went back and tested the 3 favorite...bought the innova and they are in texas not to far from you
Old 03-21-2014, 04:11 PM

I know the one hour drive limitation seems ridiculous, but I totally understand in his case. For his work he's traveling constantly either by car or by plane from Monday morning to Friday night, so I really hate to "use up" his weekends with another long car trip since he's not home much anyway. HOWEVER, it's worked to our advantage in this case. I decided to take off work today and drive to Atlanta (three hours) to visit the Innova dealer there. Because DH was in Chattanooga this morning, he left there and drove to meet me in Atlanta. We had a great visit with the dealer (Red Hen Quilting, wonderful people) and ended up ORDERING AN 18" INNOVA WITH LIGHTNING STITCH!!! I'm so excited I can't stand it. Thanks so much to everyone who gave advice about this purchase. I've been researching online (and on the quilting boards/groups) for months and Innova has been my top choice all along. Last night while talking to DH on the phone he told me to just call and order it today. I tossed and turned all night and finally woke up this morning determined to go see the machine first. Everyone who advised me to try it out first was absolutely right. It really IS like buying a car - in fact, I paid more for the machine than I have for most of my cars!!! I went, tried it out, got a lot more information, LOVED it, and wrote a check. WOO HOO! It should be here in two or three weeks. I can't wait!
Old 03-24-2014, 04:01 PM

The machines are so very different. I tried many and ended up with a very slightly used Statler. Worth each and every penny. Make sure what you get is substantial. It makes a huge difference.

Best of luck.