Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying a Longarm Without a Test Drive >

Buying a Longarm Without a Test Drive

Buying a Longarm Without a Test Drive

Old 03-18-2014, 02:41 PM

Question Buying a Longarm Without a Test Drive

I am currently in the market for a longarm. From everything I've read I should test drive anything before buying - at least the model, if not the specific machine. However, dealers aren't too plentiful in my area. DH and I drove three hours to a quilt show recently and were disappointed to find only three dealers with longarms on frames. We do have a local dealer that carries another brand that I'm interested in, but their new machines are too pricey for me (they have a used one that's a possibility). I have so far limited my thinking only to the machines I've been able to try out, but that's pretty restrictive. DH doesn't have much patience for driving all over creation (meaning more than an hour or so) to try out one here and one there. I want him heavily involved, as he'll be my maintenance man. Also, if I get a used machine he's much better at evaluating them than I am - we already came across one dud. So, finally to the question: How many of you have gotten machines without trying them out first? If you did, were you happy with your choice?

Or should I definitely limit myself to the ones I can try out?

Thank you for any suggestions!!

Debbie
Old 03-18-2014, 02:59 PM

I bought an Innova with no try outs as I'm far away from any dealers too. I just researched online and joined longarm groups on yahoo to see what REAL people thought of their machines and the problems encountered with the different machines...by and far the innova group seemed to be most pleased and problem free. I've had mine almost 5 years now and couldn't be happier...my Abby is great!!!
Old 03-18-2014, 03:12 PM

I recommend going to www.mqresource.com which is a machine quilting forum. It has lots of good information from owners of all different types of machines.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:23 PM

I don't know if you have any reason to go to Salt Lake City, UT, but there is a home machine quilting expo there this spring, which will more than likely have many machine vendors, including longarms. Here's a link to the page:
http://www.hmqs.org/

Another machine quilting show in Witchita, KS
http://www.mqsshow.org/

Several of the machine manufacturers will list local dealers.

I would try and at least find the machine you're considering before buying. It's quite an investment. Make sure you like it.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:30 PM

Actually, an Innova was at the top of my list but I haven't had a chance to even see one in "real life". Guess it needs to stay on my list!!
Old 03-18-2014, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

I would definitely buy an Innova with lightning stitch without trying it out if it were within my price range.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:07 PM

Unfortunately both are too far. I'd especially love to go to the one in Salt Lake.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:32 PM

I was pretty amazed at how different the different machines were. If at all possible, try as many machines as you can. It's a big investment.

I know Paducah KY isn't close ... but it's a beautiful drive from B-Ham All (or at least most) of the long arm manufacturers will be there.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:14 PM

By all means, go to Paducah the last week in April - I am sure that every kind of machine available will be there. Do you homework first and get lots of ideas and have a list of questions for every dealer - take a notebook and write down everything. Good luck.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:53 AM

Wow, I can't believe that hadn't occurred to me!! Will see if I can get DH to go with me. He'd love it, if I can talk him into it. Thanks!