Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Buying online

Betty, there are some wonderful places online, I tend to skip around from place to place, care to share the name of the spot you have been so happy with ?

Quote Originally Posted by draggin_behind
    Hi, everyone

Anyway, I hope that posting my experiences with online purchases might help someone else who's thinking about doing so. I'm all for supporting your LQS, but since I don't have one (closest fabric shop is Hancock's and it's 60+ miles from me), I don't mind supporting reputable dealers online when I can.

Happy Quilting,
    M&M
    Me too, I've had totally positive experiences. I was surprised to see that I've been ordering from Amazon since 1998! I've been ordering from EBay for years.

I shop at my local quilt stores too, but the convenience of on line shopping is really great. ..and the fabric tends to be less expensive because the on line shops don't have huge overhead if they don't have a physical shop too.

So back to convenience. I like to create my own quilt pattern using EQ and then I shop around on line for just the right colors etc. This I can do even if I'm up at my usual 4 am with nothing to read. Can't really do much cleaning without waking up the household at that hour. :?

I have to order on line. No local quilt shops. Walmart put them out of business even if you had to drive an hour one way. No complaints. Walmart did have some nice fabric. Since Walmart condensed it's fabric to one aisle there is not much to choose from, so I purchase online. I have gotten great fabric and just what I ordered from those I ordered from. I have made several purchases from Fabric.com...Just love them, great customer service, fast delivery. Another that has both regular fabric as well as great price on quilt backs is AAA quilters

Banned
    Blog Entries
    having lived overseas or out in the Alaska bush for most of my life, catalogs, and then internet shipping has been a "normal" way of life for me!

I buy most of what you really need online now...I am not a MALL person and we live 2 hours away from a big city to do any REAL shopping, so I do it online!

ALL of my fabric is bought online, unless I go to a quilt show..there is NO LQS withing 30 miles, and the one there is, I do not care to patronize!

I even love drugstore.com!

Blog Entries
    I love buying online the fabric I can't find locally. With gas so high I don't drive all over the place like I use to. Use to drive to Salem, Dallas, McMinnville, Corvallis and Philomath looking for just the right fabric. I love Jannilou's in Philomath but I don't go but a couple of times a year and I usually have 3 or 4 friends with me :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like LQS and online shopping. A couple of times I have run out of a fabric and have the fabric designer and line from the selvedge, just google it and WALA found it online. A lot easier and faster than driving around to LQS and most likely not finding it.
    Love online shopping and paying bills...

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all of the websites I wasn't familiar with.
    If you want swatches to see and feel fabric, SewSpider.com is a great site. Her swatches are a great size.
    She also has a sale on Sat. aft... SuperSaturday or something like that. Good buys!
    She is so helpful on picking out and giving you clearance if that is what you want. I live off of Clearance!!
    Mariah

[quote=BigDog]I order everything I possibly can online, from bed sheets to fabric to kitchen appliances. I would buy gas and groceries online if I could. Especially if I could save money.

Me Too!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mom is looking for some panels for charity quilts. May I ask the website for your fab find?

Our little quilting group has a goal to finish 125 lap quilts for the wheelchair patients at an area nursing home by mid-December, and that's a lot for just a few of us, but it should be a wonderful experience and opportunity to practice (and not have to be reminded of our lack of workmanship, at least in my part! :lol: ).

Sorry, aftermath of Imitrex has a brain freeze. Last post was directed at BettyGee. Her find sounds great! Now watch all of us make a beeline for the website. :lol:

Blog Entries
    I ordered two kits from Connecting Threads, same kit because I liked it and wanted it for baby quilts. I made two quilts from the first kit and have enought now from the second kit , so I got four quilts for the price of two. Good Deal and it was very nice fabric.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by draggin_behind
    When I lived in the Sact'o area of California, I could mail a letter to my folks back in Alabama and it took two days for them to get the letter. They could mail one to me and it took 5 days or more. Never did figure out the difference.
    Same with my folks. They don't have a post office in town that sorts their mail. So it's sent about 50 miles up the road to be sorted before it actually gets mailed.

I do lots of mail order shopping and have been pleased with all my purchases so far. Course I rely heavily on recommendations like yours to choose where to shop online.

I live on an island and have to take a ferry to shop so I rely heavily on online buying. Works for me!

It is always good to hear the positive experiences of ordering online. It helps the rest of us.

Blog Entries
    I buy a lot online. I don't like the attitude of the one LQS near me, and I find that there's a much better selection of fabric online than in the shops here.

I order online alot too & always have had good luck. It is easy & saves gas!

Power Poster
    Good to know.

I've mostly had good experiences online as well. A few disappointments, but mostly good.

I am housebound and I buy almost everything online, even a washing machine too. LOL Love this online

I love this one from Maxine: "Thanks to the computer, you can go bankrupt without ever leaving the house." My daughter thinks that's me ever since she helped me move my stash from upteen boxes into clear storage bins...LOL

[quote=Amythyst02
    WHile I do agree buying online hurts the LQS, then first off, they need to lower their prices. If I can get the same fabric for less, and I am not talking about cents less but dollars less, then I am going to buy online. I live in the big city though, so the LQS's are not small by any means, and honestly I really think they could lower their prices a tad. However, with the poor cotton crops this year we may see a rise in prices all across the board.[/quote]

I just heard today that cotton prices are down 40% -- I wonder how long it will take to get the fab prices down. Probably shipping costs too.

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    My favorite online fabric store is www.fabricsgalore.com
    She gives wonderful service and even gives a shout out to the quilting board on her main page. She has great prices and great sales.

Carole

Quote Originally Posted by BigDog
    I order everything I possibly can online, from bed sheets to fabric to kitchen appliances. I would buy gas and groceries online if I could. Especially if I could save money.

The only fabric I buy locally is when I absolutely MUST perfectly match or coordinate a color. When that happens, I make sure I have at least a 40% coupon in my purse.
    Same here...and I love being able to shop in my jammies with my morning cup o' joe :D

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Just wondering if anyone buys online to escape paying state sales tax. (Not just talking about fabric purchases.)

For those of us with sales tax rates hovering close to 9%, on bigger purchases this can really add up, and might even pay for the cost of shipping.

Oregon has no sales tax.....yipee, but we have the 3rd highest state income tax in the U.S. Our WalMart here has not brought back fabric. We have one small LQS and a small JoAnn's. The LQS prices are probably higher because they can not afford to buy in volume like the chain stores. Since I only do charity quilts I generally use the "garage sale" season to buy fabric but I must admit I do buy from the LQS and online also. This past weekend was a great one for garage sales. I got 62 yards of beautiful quilting fabrics for $34. Now I have to figure out where to put it as my fabric room is bulging!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast