Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Buying Quilting Fabric Online

Blog Entries
    I love the Tawas Cotton Patch store!!! I have a cottage in Lincoln, about 35 miles north, but will make special trips to Tawas just to go to the Cotton Patch when I'm "up north". I'm originally from Oscoda, and used to work at the Tawas Hospital. Small quilting world huh?

I didn't realize how fortunate I am. I live about one hour from Whittles. As new quilter, I have not been there yet, but all the ladies in my quilt guild rave about their fabric being great quality and reasonably priced.

This company has been around for several generations and is located in Smith's Grove, Kentucky, which is about 20 minutes from Bowling Green, the location of Western Kentucky University, my alma mater.

they do have great items on their website. I haven't heard of the other some of the others you've mentioned, so I'll have to check those out too.

I think Keepsake quilting sends out a catalogue by snail mail too, don't they?

I like Fat Quarters Quilting in Texas. They always have great buys and inexpensive BOM.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    me too! i also like http://www.nixiechicks.com. look at the $3.99 first.

Keepsake Quilting is pricey but the colors are always what they look like. With other sites, the colors that appear on the 'puter are not always true representation of what I actually get. The item # is correct but the colors always seem a bit off. Maybe its the 'puter and not them. I don't know.

I always do the fabshop hop and come across great buys as I look at the shops. I have bought many things from a lot of companies whenever I see a good buy. The quilting b is just one of the ones I have bought from. I have to say I have always gotten great service. Just join the fab shop hop and enjoy looking.

I just discovered Marshall Dry Goods because another quilt group highly recommended them.

As yet I haven't ordered from them but definitely will do so. They have big name manufacturers for as little as $2.99yd. 108inch backing fabric for only $5.99yd and Hobbs batt by the roll/bolt.

Definitely a good place to check out.

I've gotten fabric from Connecting Threads and the quality is superb. I just wish they carried more brights, geos etc.

warm quilt hugs, sue

Quiltshops.com
    Over the Rainbow
    Cotton Capers
    The first will let you shop around for the best price.
    The other two I just used and they are great but there are others I like too. Keepsake is a great store but their prices are higher. So far I've been able to find what I want at other places.
    I quite often shop on line when there is something specific I'm looking for and am very pleased with the results. If you've never seen the Quiltshops.com site before you'll have a lot of fun shopping there. By the way, there's one other thing I should mention. There is a site where you can buy the best fabric at half price from a retired shop. It's JNCQuilts.com (I think the address is right)

Wow, I'm so glad you asked, because now I have learned alot myself!
    I just received my first squishy from Norton House (norquilt.com), where they have all the big name quilting fabrics, and a special section called the "fabric attic" (20-60% off original price, I beleieve). I can't compare my results with the other on-line shops because I haven't tried them. Comparing to other mail order businesses though, I'd say the shipping costs are reasonable. I don't use credit cards, so I have to be patient with snail mail....my order was here in no time, even taking into account the 4th of July holiday. I ordered eleven fabrics, and only one of them is not quite the color as pictured on the site (but it's still beautiful).
    I sure wish I had a bunch of spending money, now that I see there are so many choices out there! Thank you all for your input!

http://www.thousandsofbolts.com/

LOVE THIS SITE! - and have always been pleased with service, fabric quality and price

Also www.fabric.com

Keepsake Quilting has an e-mail notice out regarding a Bali Fat Quarters sale from July 17 - July 20. Twelve for $20.00. The only stipulation is that you must buy in multiples of 12 to get the sale price.

Banned
    thats not a bad deal thats about 6.70 a yard

Blog Entries
    Hi I too am glad you asked the question. I recently bought some fabric from fabric.com. was very happy to find what I was looking for (180" red backing) and very happy with the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    http://www.nixiechicks.com is having a fats sale. $1.00 per fat.

top left-hand side of column. go, girls!

Re: nixiechicks.com....they frequently have good specials/sales, shipping for orders over $25 is free, under $25 is $4.50, they always include a free pattern & a quilting label, they have discounted international shipping. Have shopped with them for years and never been disappointed in products or service.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    http://www.nixiechicks.com is having a fats sale. $1.00 per fat.

top left-hand side of column. go, girls!

but those aren't batiks. batik fabric is higher priced than calico

correction on web address

http://nixiechicks.com/index.php?cPath=208

definitely look at these. all colors.

NO SHIPPING OVER $25.00

hey klue, what do you think?

I have bought fabric from etsy.com and ebay and bear paw quilt online...was please with their fabric...on ebay just ask the seller if it is good quilting fabric.....if they don't know the difference between 100% cotton and quilting fabric.....passsss them by!!! hahah

Great question! Glad you posted! There is nothing worse then trying to support someone that may not have the 20,000 bolts in their in-home business, etc and then they sleep on it!(sleep on the order!) I like quick delivery and great communication...then a great end product:)Skeat

Laura and the crew at Over The Rainbow http://www.overrainbow.com are the best. Here's an example of why I think so.

I just ran out of a blender fabric on a new project. The blender was from an earlier project (more than 1 year ago) and I misjudged the amount I'd need.

My dilema was, when I originally ordered this fabric, I didn't know what it was, I had asked the online shop to find me a blender that would work well with the other fabrics I had ordered. So there was no document that listed what it was, they just added the amount I requested to my order and adjusted my bill.

So, I emailed the owner of the the online shop I originally purchased it from to see if they may have added which fabric it was to their records - unfortunately they didn't. However, the owner asked that I send a tiny snippet and they would find a match.

I sent a small sample asking that they only find close, a perfect match not necessary.

Guess what? They found the actual fabric, put together an order and mailed it out right away.
    They are still my favorite online shop!!
    http://www.overrainbow.com

Blog Entries
    Not finding the Brick Sewing Room had me stumped, so I did an ebay search and found the following: When I typed bricksewingroom (as I had done in the past) nothing came up; but when I typed in Brick Sewing Room (with spaces between words) I found it. It seems like every time I go on ebay their format is a bit different.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the other fabric sites!!

I am wary about buying fabric online as I tried it once and the colors turned out to be a lot duller than what was shown in the ad. I don't know if others have had this experience

Just recieved my large order of fabric from Quilt in a Day.
    Spent 150 dollars on 3.75 a yard material. All of it is first class name brand fabric. All nice prints and useable, nothing that wasnt what I expected.
    The sale ended yesterday. This is the sale I save up for every year.

I have been more than happy with the fabric I have bought from quilt shops on line most of the peices are nicer than the picture

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3