Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying Too Many Quilt Books?

Question Buying Too Many Quilt Books?

I just love quilt books. Ones that focus on patterns, techniques, patchwork, applique, history, anything. I think it's the layouts and beautiful quilts. I see these books and want to make that quilt "someday", although I probably have more books than I could ever really make all their quilts. I know there is e-books and the internet (for free patterns), but I just love the feeling of taking a new book home and dreaming of my own future quilts. I feel guilty about spending the money, but at the time I feel like I got to have it.

Maybe I will be sorry someday for having bought a lot of books, but I treasure my collection, especially older or out-of-print books. Am I the only one who still loves hard-copy books?

Count me in. I have it B-A-A-D! And I don't feel guilty, so neither should you. They give us a lot of pleasure, and I figure, so many people spend so much money on cigarettes, drinking, and gambling, etc. and I do none of that. At least we have something to show for our money, right? And in the future all those books (and yards of fabric, patterns, etc.) can be resold if necessary. Feeling better now? Lol! (I'm pretty good at justifying....)

Blog Entries
    I love my collection, but we are planning to move. Have found some books that I really don't need anymore, and those have gone to the local "friends" of the library. I have a lot left, though -- many more than I will ever use. Still love having them. My dh has a collection of over 3,000 classical records, so I don't feel *too* guilty over my collection of quilting books.

It is the quilt magazines that are worse for me. I have spent countless hours going through them page by page, marking pages I want to keep, giving the "friends" magazines that don't have at least one marker in them. Not sure there is enough time in my lifetime to go through all of them! This experience has finally convinced me to stop buying magazines. I even quit looking at them when I go out, so I won't be tempted to buy another one!

Blog Entries
    there is something very special about sitting down with a wonderful book- I never feel guilty about purchasing a new book and have (5) 7-foot book shelves plus a hall closet and sewing room closet shelf to prove it. you never know when you will go back through a book you purchased 10 years ago and find the perfect quilt for that moment! I often pull a stack of books off the shelf and just sit looking through them in the evening-when I need some ideas/inspiration for a new project- or when I want to use a particular technique I haven't done in a while & need to refresh my memory- or I need some measurements...what ever... I have my kindle for books I want to sit & read- but quilting/craft books I will always purchase as books- I love my books! my shelves would be awfully empty without them.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I love them to!!!!

I much prefer a book. I tend to study the pattern/picture quite a bit before I actually embark on it. I love looking at them at bed time just before I nod off and some patterns are very complex, I need to read the directions several times and have it handy when cutting and assembling. I also jot notes because I often modify the cutting or sewing directions to a method I like better. So no, you are not the only one that enjoys their quilt books. I turn to my books more than anything for inspiration and just plain simple enjoyment. Although my library is not as extensive as many here.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I would much rather (and so does DH) spend my money on something that can help create a utilitarian object than spend money on a scandal rag. He used to look at me when I would bring the quilt books and magazines home. I told him it's this quilt book or a scandal rag. No more mention. He looks through the quilt books and puts post it notes with names as to reference which would be great gift for whom.

I love "real" books!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I love my books. Magazines too!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    Quilting books are a little bit of heaven. I love my collection and never pass up a chance to grow the collection.

I also make notations about the patterns I have made right in the book, thinking that future owners of the book might enjoy seeing how other people worked a quilt.

One of my favorite things is to pile a stack of books on my bed and lounge with them.

enjoy your collection.
    Please give us a list of your favorites!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    I enjoy books in all forms: those ideas I capture in a 3-ring notebook; ebooks, soft or hardcover books. Lately, I have found myself concentrating on specific era history books and enhance the subject with culture and quilt fabric/patterns. Suddenly, several topics seem to be merging and my understanding has increased.

My quilt books are either categorized by technique or author/ designer. My favorites include the late Mary Ellen Hopkins treasure of books. A local printer drilled holes in a few soft cover books so I could store everything together in a large D-ring folder. This was done to help me and prevent loss through loaners which aren't returned.

I am down to one quilt magazine subscription annually and using the local library to scan other magazines. If I do splurge on a magazine, it absolutely must have three unique ideas I "intend" to use.

I will get books on my kindle for reading, but I want an actual magazine or book for quilting. I really like books that are technique based. Those I will read like a novel. I want to be able to look at the pattern and the directions when I'm sewing - I can write notes in them also. I like to watch tutorials on the computer but I really want to print them out as I don't want to have my computer on when I'm sewing. Some are just old school, and some are just new school. I guess I'm old/new school!

Blog Entries
    I love books and magazines. I buy way too many but even so I have cut way back. Even if I never make anything from them, I enjoy curling up on the couch (under a quilt if it's cold) and reading them like a book.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    there is something very special about sitting down with a wonderful book- I never feel guilty about purchasing a new book and have (5) 7-foot book shelves plus a hall closet and sewing room closet shelf to prove it. you never know when you will go back through a book you purchased 10 years ago and find the perfect quilt for that moment! I often pull a stack of books off the shelf and just sit looking through them in the evening-when I need some ideas/inspiration for a new project- or when I want to use a particular technique I haven't done in a while & need to refresh my memory- or I need some measurements...what ever... I have my kindle for books I want to sit & read- but quilting/craft books I will always purchase as books- I love my books! my shelves would be awfully empty without them.

WOW! is all I can say..what visual!

Gay
    Blog Entries
    I used to buy soft cover quilting also machine embroidery magazines, and when my shelves were getting crowded, went through each book and cut out anything I wasn't really interested in. Some were left with 6-8 pages + lift-out patterns, and that made room for more books. About 2 yrs ago, the great ideas and designs seemed to peak, and wind down, so now I rarely buy any. Once or twice a year I'll pick up a 3in1 pack with some nice quilt pictured on the front - the embroidery mags don't have much appeal either. I find this forum gives me all I need, also Pinterest has lots of great images, and can lead back to an on-line shop. What more could a girl ask for?

I love my quilt books: I've told my daughter (who has no interest in actually quilting, alas!) to donate to my local library. I only wish I had had some available to borrow when the money was tight.

Oh My I love my collection too. I still have the very first quilting book I bought back in 1976. American Quilts and how to make them. I also have that applique book The Little Brown Wren, which I understand sells for quite a bit more now. A couple of times I have gotten so upset with my self! I'll buy this wonderful book, only to discover when I get home that I already have it.

I love this board. You are all so much like me. Or I am like you. I love my books and my magazines. And I will never get around to making all the ones I love so much. But I will have many years, hours, minutes...relaxing and dreaming. I use to read romance novels. Now it is quilting patterns.

Too many? No, never. They are such an inspiration.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Blog Entries
    I love books in any format. My kindle has a large selection of quilting books, iBooks, ebooks and magazines. They take up less room. Why. I have 3 large bookcases full plus books in different places. I have more than our local library .
    I read very quickly love new projects and have a one click on amazon. Have a new book to me nearly every week.
    Finished is better than a UFO

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries

buying too many quilt books ? Yes ! 1/2 price book store ! !

Each one I see something..then shelf it..but will not give them up. Lol
    Sometimes you just have to sit in a chair and jog in order to get anywhere.
    Ell

I love my books! At this point I have so many that I can't justify spending money on more, BUT - I just got a wonderful hardcover book on strip-piecing at a garage sale for $1. And last weekend I found two quilting books at the thrift store for $2 each. I keep them on my shelves in alphabetical order, so that when I get home and find that I have three copies of one book it's always a surprise.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    There's no way I'll ever make all the quilts I've "flagged" from my books, but that hasn't stopped me from buying more books. Now I need to figure out where I can put another bookcase

Locally on Kijiji, there is a lady trying to sell her MIL's quilt book collection - two large totes full. I had a look & bought two for $15 because I felt bad for her having to load the totes into her van and driving to meet me half-way so I could have a look. I would bet that the lady bought them and then never opened them (one of those subscription deals - about $30 a book). She's sold most of the fabric before I noticed the ads for the books.
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

When you decide to get rid of a few, consider reselling them to Amazon or another source so that others may enjoy them. In the meantime, enjoy every one of them for yourself, over and over again; it doesn't get any better than that!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast