Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Calling all flannel quilts >

Calling all flannel quilts

Calling all flannel quilts

Old 10-06-2008, 03:57 PM

I have made flannel quilts using the yellow brick road pattern but any pattern where you aren't making really small pieces or a lot of small halfsquares would be fine. You just don't want tons of seams since they will be a little "thicker". Depending on how warm you want it to be, you don't necessarily have to use a batting in it either. Or just use another piece of flannel in the middle. Oh, when I make flannel quilts I make sure to give the flannel a good washing first because flannel shrinks more and at different rates than other cotton fabrics. If people are sending scraps, most of those will probably already be washed, you may want people to tell you if it is prewashed or not!!
Old 10-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

you might want to make your seam allowances at least 3/8 " instead of the 1/4" with regular cottons.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Do you have access to old denim jeans? They are sturdy - and I think maybe more resistant to burns than flannel?

He's ok with flannel as he uses my throw on the back of the couch. That's another reason I want to make him one... :D
Old 10-07-2008, 05:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I have made flannel quilts using the yellow brick road pattern but any pattern where you aren't making really small pieces or a lot of small halfsquares would be fine. You just don't want tons of seams since they will be a little "thicker". Depending on how warm you want it to be, you don't necessarily have to use a batting in it either. Or just use another piece of flannel in the middle. Oh, when I make flannel quilts I make sure to give the flannel a good washing first because flannel shrinks more and at different rates than other cotton fabrics. If people are sending scraps, most of those will probably already be washed, you may want people to tell you if it is prewashed or not!!
Ok.... I thought of backing with flannel for warmth. Now do I use batting?
Old 10-07-2008, 05:48 AM

I made a lightweight throw many years ago, flannel front and back and used a real thin batting inside to give it more stability--not too bulky. I just used big squares of some scraps. Its not real big--I can tuck my feet under it but its not as long as the couch. Then just stitched in the ditch. Hadn't had any problems with the layers separating or with any thing else associated with it. It wasn't meant to be prize winner, but it works.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vicki reno
I made a lightweight throw many years ago, flannel front and back and used a real thin batting inside to give it more stability--not too bulky. I just used big squares of some scraps. Its not real big--I can tuck my feet under it but its not as long as the couch. Then just stitched in the ditch. Hadn't had any problems with the layers separating or with any thing else associated with it. It wasn't meant to be prize winner, but it works.
I like your idea. I just want my baby warm. I feel bad he has to smoke outside in the Winter, but cigs and my asthma don't get along.....I'm not wanting a blue ribbon quilt.... I do like your idea... How about a thin Cotton batting. I saw that at Joanns
Old 10-07-2008, 06:16 AM

My method worked out really well, and if I have to let the dog out and hubby has gone to bed early or its early and he is still in the bed, then I use it to stand on the deck and make sure she doesn't go chasing a rabbit and forgets what she is out there for. Its real warm, just wish at the time I'd made it bigger. Back then my stash was tiny compared to whats in it now! :lol:
Old 10-07-2008, 06:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vicki reno
My method worked out really well, and if I have to let the dog out and hubby has gone to bed early or its early and he is still in the bed, then I use it to stand on the deck and make sure she doesn't go chasing a rabbit and forgets what she is out there for. Its real warm, just wish at the time I'd made it bigger. Back then my stash was tiny compared to whats in it now! :lol:
Do you have a pic. If not its ok.. I think I got a mental picture.....Thanks for your ide hun
Old 10-08-2008, 06:37 AM

Here is a quilt I am making for my DS. He picked out the quilt from a book (no instructions). So I fussy cut 4x8" rectangles and sewed them offset. It is very quick. I will back it with more flannel and probably use a very low loft batting. Then stitch-in-the-ditch and be done.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-39889.jpe   attachment-39891.jpe   attachment-39892.jpe  
Old 10-08-2008, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

nice job. very masculine looking.