Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Calling all flannel quilts >

Calling all flannel quilts

Calling all flannel quilts

Old 10-08-2008, 06:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sandybeach
Here is a quilt I am making for my DS. He picked out the quilt from a book (no instructions). So I fussy cut 4x8" rectangles and sewed them offset. It is very quick. I will back it with more flannel and probably use a very low loft batting. Then stitch-in-the-ditch and be done.
Hey I LOVE that ....... Thanks for the idea.....
Old 10-08-2008, 09:09 AM

Sandybeach, I really like that quilt. Will keep that in mind for a future project. Most of my quilts are used for comfort and warmth, not to be judged, but to be enjoyed. LOL Marge
Old 10-09-2008, 08:37 AM

Here's one that I made with recycled shirts from the thrift store. 6" squares with 5" batting sandwiched in between and stitched with an "X" through each one.

Attached Thumbnails attachment-40652.jpe   attachment-40653.jpe   attachment-40657.jpe  
Old 10-09-2008, 01:45 PM

This one is part flannel. The black triangels are not. Some of the plaids are and some are not. Easy and quick. This is the second quilt that I made. The plaids are strip sewn and then you cut the triangles and sew to the black triangles to make the square. It would be a good one to use old shirts too. The black and white border is flannel and the back is the same flannel fabric. This is DH favorite and he had me make his brother one for Christmas last year. I had it done in less than a week.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-39651.jpe   attachment-39652.jpe   attachment-39653.jpe  
Old 10-12-2008, 08:47 AM

SandyBeach:
I really do like your DS's quilt. It's masculine but would work great for a "cuddler" for watching TV. It looks so warm and comfy. Good job.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:58 AM

MicPa:
You described my quilts to a "t." They are for comfort and warmth NOT to be judged in the county fair. Beverly asked for pictures of quilts made with flannel to give her ideas and I thought better of sending her a picture of ours as they are so well LOVED that they aren't pretty enough anymore for pictures. My husband's quilt is big and not very attractive...he mentioned one night how he'd like to have something BIG enough to throw over him at 3:00 AM when he can't sleep so is up watching the test pattern or something equally as interesting on TV. I whipped up a flannel with 9 inch blocks in scraps of all the flannel I could lay hands on THAT DAY. I sandwiched it with a heavy flannel and the batting was an old flannel bed sheet. That poor, ugly BIG quilt gets used to death. When it's not being used as a tent for our grandkids, it's loaded with 3 little kittens napping behind my husband's chair. It's in the wash every week and could probably use laundering inbetween but once a week is my limit! LOL!
Old 10-12-2008, 09:00 AM

Demshine: Love your flannel shirt scrap quilts. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:02 AM

2Doods: I like your idea of mixing flannel and non-flannel. I want to try that. Do love your quilt and can see why your DH loves it. The colors are so vibrant and nice..great fall colors. Good job.