Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Calling all mid-arm and long-arms out there >

Calling all mid-arm and long-arms out there

Calling all mid-arm and long-arms out there

Old 12-15-2023, 04:45 AM

Default Calling all mid-arm and long-arms out there

Please share your experiences of owning a mid-arm or a long arm machine. I am in the final stages of considering a mid-arm. I love free motion quilting and find my domestic limiting. I was able to quit on my friend’s mid-arm and it was so fun. It really pushed me over the edge to look at one for myself. (If she lived closer, I could just share.).

Anyway, as you know, it is a big purchase and I wanted to hear about what iit was like for others. Are you glad you made the leap? ARe you enjoying it as much as you thought you would?

All thoughts and advice are appreciated.
Old 12-15-2023, 06:04 AM

I started out small with a 9" MegaQuilter by Viking on a 10' Grace Pro frame. I realized right off that 9" doesn't give you much plus my hands shook so I found a computerized system that would work with the Viking, Babylock and Brother 9" machines called PCQ. They also had this add-on that would give you up to 17" of play space as it moved the rollers back and forth. Mine didn't work as well as expected and turned into a door stop. Then I moved up to MQR that used parts from the PCQ system so I didn't lose out totally. Also changed up to a stretched Juki 98Q that gave me 18" of play space. Much better and much happier. Finally moved up to an Innova 26" on a 12' frame and for awhile I kept the MQR after having it updated for the larger machine but the company went defunct so after much research I changed over to IQ robotics and couldn't be happier. True, sometimes it sits for months at a time but when I am quilting I'm in my "happy zone". I went the long way to finding out whether I even liked to quilt which you already know you do. You might check for a used machine well taken care for as it is a big investment. I chose the Innova as it's user friendly, has 24hr/365 day customer support by phone. I've had this system for about 12 years for the machine and 6 years for the robotics. I love to custom quilt mostly so reason for the robotics for me.
Old 12-15-2023, 10:39 AM

I bought an HQ Amara (20") with prostitcher (robotics) a few years ago. My retailer offered me the opportunity to upgrade within a year. I took them up on it and upgraded to an HQ Forte (24") with prostitcher and a larger frame (12') . I absolutely love it and have no regrets whatsoever. I've quilted multiple quilts for me, my Mom and bff and every single quilt has turned out amazing. With that said, for me personally I know I would not feel the same love for it if I did not have prostitcher.

Last edited by lmanna; 12-15-2023 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-15-2023, 10:50 AM

I purchased a Juki J-350QVP Miyabi machine in January 2020. I didn't have room for a frame, so I got the sitdown model with the table extensions. It has a stitch regulator and could be upgraded with robotics if I ever had room for a frame setup. Prior to getting this machine, I had only done walking foot quilting on wall hangings and table toppers. When I first got the Juki, I was terrified of goofing up. I was so tense my shoulders were practically touching my ears! I started practicing on scaps and my own small projects. My guild does a lot of quilts for kids' charities and I started doing those too. The woman who coordinates the charity quilts for the quild encouraged me to "just go for it". She said the kids love the quilts even if they're not perfect. I started FMQ a loop-the-loop pattern on scraps, then moved to using the pattern on some of my lap quilts and the charity quilts. Over time, I relaxed when I aknowledged that no one dies if the quilting isn't perfect and started adding leaves, hearts, flowers, etc. between the loops. Eventually I tried slightly more complex FMQ patterns. Now the quilting is my favorite part of making a quilt. I'm not the greatest at FMQ and I'll never strive to be, but I really love doing it and couldn't be happier I bought my Juki. It's a great machine and I haven't had any problems with it.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:29 AM

I also started out with the Viking Mega quilter on a 10-foot frame. It was a pain, but I learned I like to quilt on frame. I did several quilts on it. I only had about 4 inchs space to quilt in at the end and I could not do queen sized quilts on it. Then when I retired, I got a demo APQS Lucy on a 12 foot frame with Bliss. I am loving it, this was about 12 years ago. She has a 26 inch neck and I find I really don't even use the whole space I have as my arms are short. The 12 foot frame has done everything I have made. I do not have robotics on it and that is just fine. APQS will have demo machines on sale a few times a year. Technical support is available by phone and you tubes. I haven't had to send my machine in at all and the repairs I have done basically have been routine maintenance type things. I figure my machine has now paid for itself based on not having to take my quilts to a long Armer. Advantages are being able to quilt when you have the time. I usually load and get one quilted in a few days. I don't quilt for others. If you don't make many quilts, you may have a long Armer who rents out their machine. I would also encourage you to take advantage of that service if it is offered as you most likely will have to take a class to do the rental and it will give a chance to find out if you really like long arming. I do have a dedicated space down in the basement which is a bit gloomy, but it is nice to have that space just for the longarm. Have fun, try out different machines if you can. Service is important too but on the long arms, a lot can be done by the owners. This varies a bit by brand so check that out. If you have to send the machine in for service, it is a production.
Old 12-15-2023, 06:03 PM

I bought a Pfaff P3 several years ago (maybe 10?). It has an 18" throat and I do not regret spending the money. It has robotics which is what I mostly use. I have never paid to have a quilt done by someone else, I bought my machine as my retirement present to myself. I quilt for myself, for a few friends, and comfort quilts (charity) for my local guild.
I think there is value in doing your research as to brand/size/features/service available locally, but in the end, only you will be able to say if it is something you want
Old 12-15-2023, 11:03 PM
Power Poster

I bought my Innova, 26" on 12' frame, about 14 years ago. Innova was a pretty new brand at the time. It had a stitch regulator, but this was before the lightning stitch regulator came out. I was a fairly new quilter. I had quilted several large quilts on my DSM by quilting in sections, but I didn't enjoy that experience. A few years ago I upgraded my machine by adding lightning stitch and the new hook assembly. I do all free motion custom quilting, for myself and occasionally for the guild or close friends. I've never regretted buying the Innova. I've thought about adding robotics, and would definitely add it if I were quilting as a business.

One of the things I disliked about quilting on my DSM was basting the quilt sandwich. That would be my reason for not choosing a sit-down machine.

Old 12-16-2023, 09:04 AM

For a number of years, I did all my quilting on a domestic machine. I love free motion quilting and ruler work, so I upgraded to a bigger machine (Brother PQ1500) and then eventually upgraded again to a used HQ Sweet Sixteen sit down model. I've had no problems with any of my machines, they all have done a great job FMQ for me and are quite reliable. However, because I do a whole lot of quilting, I've noticed that I'm starting to develop some problems in my hands that are set off if I quilt for more than about 1/2 hour per day (bummer). As a result, I'm considering switching to a machine on a frame- I've done a little bit of quilting with my Brother PQ1500 on a Cutie frame and found it to be very enjoyable, but it doesn't offer enough room to do the kinds of things I like to do. I've also done a little bit on an HQ Amara, but found that I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoy my sit down Sweet 16. It felt heavy and even though it has a 20" throat space I still was a bit frustrated at the limitations of the throat space- As a sit down quilter, I'm used to just being able to move around the quilt and do any size motif I want without regard to throat space. If I do switch to a frame machine, I'll spend a lot of time trying out machines to find one that doesn't feel heavy to me as I found the Amara very tiring to use. I've never sent my quilts out to someone else to be quilted, so I can't speak to how owning a mid-arm compares to sending quilts out to someone else.

Anyway, every time I've upgraded my quilting set up I've been glad I did.
Rob
Old 12-16-2023, 05:34 PM

I find my APQS Lucey with the Bliss system is very easy to move. I can literally push it easily with one finger. I usually "Park it" at one end by throwing one of the side clamps over the base as I find if I don't, It may drift away. Jamie Wallen had a video posted when a Blissed machine was moved by a fan blowing on it. The machine itself weighs about 45 pounds but it really is easy to move. Lucey has a 26 inch neck. I usually don't even advance it all the way as I have shorter arms.
Old 12-16-2023, 11:19 PM

Your responses have been a help. I am going to go and look this week. I know that I am not ready for a frame. I like FMQ and only plan to do my own work, charity quilts and maybe a bit for others. I too like the flexibility of it not being on a frame but can see the advantage when quilting a lot of quilts.

It seems daunting and exciting.