Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can anyone identify this pattern? >

Can anyone identify this pattern?

Can anyone identify this pattern?

Old 01-19-2020, 07:05 PM

Smile Can anyone identify this pattern?

Unfortunately I don't quilt but I'm hoping someone can provide information on this piece which has been in the family for many years. I believe it to be hand-sewn by my grandmother but I'm not sure. I know she had a wooden quilt frame that she kept drawn up to the ceiling when not in use...she made many quilts. The batting seems thinner than I remember her using. and its pretty worn with the top in need of repair. Any information is appreciated on this quilt.

Thank you,
Paul
Attached Thumbnails img_1410.jpg   img_1411.jpg   img_1408.jpg   img_1409.jpg  

Last edited by [email protected]; 01-19-2020 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Bolding title
Old 01-19-2020, 07:21 PM

It a pineapple quilt. Here's a link to a pattern just for comparison. https://www.amazon.com/Tropical-Frui.../dp/B01LZ3HYP6

You could also just search for pineapple quilt. It's an old pattern and has been around forever. It's on my bucket list to do.

I think you might want to have it evaluated for restoration but I'm not an expert and have no idea who could do that. I bet there are ladies here who either do it or know someone who does.

Thanks for sharing it. I love it. Your grandmother did a great job!
Old 01-19-2020, 07:38 PM

Thank you so much for such a helpful reply! That makes me hopeful that it was quilted by my grandmother. I was worried it was a store-bought mass production piece. I’m so glad I found this forum!

Thanks again,
Paul
Old 01-19-2020, 07:41 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I think it is a variation of a pineapple block. Most pineapple blocks start with a square in the middle; this starts with a four patch (four smaller squares sewn into a larger square). This quilt block became popular in the mid1800’s. The top looks machine pieced and hand quilted. Are you more interested in having the quilt repaired or in protecting it from further harm?
Old 01-19-2020, 08:13 PM

Thank you for your reply! I’m more interested in repair I believe. I’m actually still using the quilt. If the top was machine pieced, does that help date it? I know my grandmother owned a foot-pedal style manual sewing machine so maybe she sewed the top on it. All I really remember is she quilted on a large wooden quilting frame.

Thank you again,
Paul
Old 01-19-2020, 08:25 PM

Pretty quilt, Paul, and so cool you have those lovely memories of your grandmother...and her beautiful work to reflect them.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:39 AM

I agree it is a Pineapple quilt and beautifully done. The large pictures of the close up fabric has the look of feedback material to me. Definitely have an appraisal done.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:02 AM

Most definitely a pineapple. I made one years ago, a king size quilt, different colors same design.
Attached Thumbnails 16563_1274296423507_1412831226_30804211_1795312_n.jpg  
Old 01-20-2020, 07:26 AM

That's beautiful!
Thank you for replying.

Paul
Old 01-20-2020, 07:27 AM

If you are currently using the quilt I imagine you want to have the quilt repaired rather than "restored" as an antique. You could contact your local quilt guild and see if they can connect you with a quilter willing to help fix it. They could also help you if do want it restored by referring you to a restorer.
One of the early posters referenced "feedback material". I believe it was a typo and she meant feedsack material. In the in the twentys and thirties feedsacks used for flour, etc had designs printed on them and when they were emptied women used them to make clothes and quilts. If your quilt does in fact have feedsack material that could help date the fabric. The quilt could have been made of feedsack but many years later then manufactured. Your grandmother's life information can help you possibly date the quilt if she made it.