Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Can it go sideways?

Can it go sideways?

Hello, new member, new quilter here. Well, I want to learn! I am making a 42x60 lap quilt with a dog theme, so some fabrics are directional. Looks like I cut it out so the dogs are sideways if you lay the quilt longways upon yourself, covering your legs. If you looked down at your legs, the print would be sideways. Is that ok or should I re-think it? Thanks for your opinions!

Blog Entries
    it depends on the look that you want. it's your quilt, so you can do it your way. try laying it out on the floor and see if you like the look. turn some of the blocks if you don't like the first layout.

and welcome to the quilting board
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If it bugs you, fix it. If it doesn't, it's good to go. I would leave it because no matter how many times I cut directional prints, they are still wrong! I just quit buying them because I could never figure them out. Sad to say...I really am that dumb!

Welcome to the board.

I hate it when I cut first and think later!! The quilt will work either way - just depends on what you want to see when using it. You are hooked - you've done an impressive number of projects.

In my thinking, you may not always lay with the quilt the same direction, when it is folded that changes the direction also. I would do the layout on the floor and then maybe make them random. If it was a wall hanging and was always displayed the same direction is when it is critical in my mind.

Welcome to the board and we love to see pictures of what you are working on. Remember, there are no dumb questions. We have all been there or done that.
    Lisa

If I have directional prints I decide whether I want them all to face the outsides of the quilt, or all face the bottom or each is totally random with figures facing in all directions. What's jarring to me is if all the dogs were to face in one direction except for one lone dog. Although that might be a good design decision too, especially if you were making a "black sheep" quilt.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Welcome from Missouri.
    I try to figure out which way I want a directional print to go before I put it together. I don't use alot of directional fabrics and sometimes I have to rip and start over. Your quilt your rules. Please yourself and it will be okay.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Learn to accept and like your directional prints facing all different directions!
    It will make your quilting life so much easier, your designs often more interesting, and many of your quilts turnable/usable in any direction.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

That is the problem with any directional fabric. At the very least, it is wrong in two different directions. I would do it the way that looks best to me and let it go.

I purposely put things in every direction I can. The quilt does not care. If I attempted to put everything the same way, I am sure I would get one wrong. Go with what you want.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I agree with all the above!

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    If I have directional prints I decide whether I want them all to face the outsides of the quilt, or all face the bottom or each is totally random with figures facing in all directions. What's jarring to me is if all the dogs were to face in one direction except for one lone dog. Although that might be a good design decision too, especially if you were making a "black sheep" quilt.
    Every pack has an Alpha male!

Leave it. If you are laying on the couch you can turn the quilt so all are right side up. Or if it's been a really bad day you can turn them upside down!
    Shirley in Arizona

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Mine are perfectly imperfect. Quilts are sometimes made with mistakes. Sometimes they can get a little out of control. Take the "crazy quilt" for example! It's your quilt. There are no quilt police on the board.

I went into my quilt photos to see what I tend to do.... If they are small I make them go every which way (often on kid quilts); if it more "formal" (carefully framed like 8" squares of fairies) then I put them all facing the same way (the child can decide which way she wants to put her quilt on her bed, with the fairies facing the same way she is, or towards her); floral quilts with complete flowers I see that I put them by a garden path (facing out on each side) or, when I'm using big florals I cut them so they have no directional elements. Butterflys I put in any direction on the same quilt top.

Bottom line is that every quilt speaks; sometimes it takes longer to understand the message, but if you fiddle with it long enough it will tell you what to do. If there is a REAL RULE about this it should be ignored. Each quilt (and each quilter) are different, thankfully! It helps me to think of the person who will get the quilt (like the fairy child above), or the gardener to whom I'm giving flowers..... Think how boring it would be if there were rules about everything and we all HAD to make our quilts the same!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Sierra; 05-31-2013 at 07:28 AM.

Why don't you deliberately place them in all directions? Takes the uniformity out of it. I think some prints are imposs. to line up.

Welcome to the Board- try different ways and remember it is your quilt-be proud of it!
    Liz Fairlie

I would pay more attention to grain of fabric than I would to which direction the dogs face.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    You could place them facing out toward each border so you could use the quilt from every direction and some would be facing up, left, right, and down no matter how the quilt is turned.

I recently made a baby quilt and deliberately turned the directional prints every which way. I figure it will be more interesting for the baby that way.

If it's already pieced and you aren't happy with it as a lap quilt, you could call it a wall hanging and make another. Or, you could rip one seam down the middle and add large borders to make two lap quilts instead, with 42X30 centers.

Whatever you decide, it's your choice, and when you show it to anyone do not point out or apologize for any of it. Everyone will assume you did it according to plan, and they'll love the dogs whichever way they point!
    True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you don’t need to regularly escape from. ~Brianna Wiest

Stripes are hard for me for the same reason. I just leave them wonky. Though it does catch my eye a lot...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Learn to accept and like your directional prints facing all different directions!
    It will make your quilting life so much easier, your designs often more interesting, and many of your quilts turnable/usable in any direction.

Jan in VA
    I agree with Jan, especially if it is a lap quilt that will get tossed and turned into any direction anyhow... If your quilt were to lie peacefully on a bed, it might be a different story.

By the way (BTW), welcome to the QB. You are gonna love it here.