Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can it go sideways? >

Can it go sideways?

Can it go sideways?

Old 05-29-2013, 07:26 AM

Default Can it go sideways?

Hello, new member, new quilter here. Well, I want to learn! I am making a 42x60 lap quilt with a dog theme, so some fabrics are directional. Looks like I cut it out so the dogs are sideways if you lay the quilt longways upon yourself, covering your legs. If you looked down at your legs, the print would be sideways. Is that ok or should I re-think it? Thanks for your opinions!
Old 05-29-2013, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

it depends on the look that you want. it's your quilt, so you can do it your way. try laying it out on the floor and see if you like the look. turn some of the blocks if you don't like the first layout.

and welcome to the quilting board
Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 AM

If it bugs you, fix it. If it doesn't, it's good to go. I would leave it because no matter how many times I cut directional prints, they are still wrong! I just quit buying them because I could never figure them out. Sad to say...I really am that dumb!

Welcome to the board.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:54 AM

I hate it when I cut first and think later!! The quilt will work either way - just depends on what you want to see when using it. You are hooked - you've done an impressive number of projects.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:00 AM

In my thinking, you may not always lay with the quilt the same direction, when it is folded that changes the direction also. I would do the layout on the floor and then maybe make them random. If it was a wall hanging and was always displayed the same direction is when it is critical in my mind.

Welcome to the board and we love to see pictures of what you are working on. Remember, there are no dumb questions. We have all been there or done that.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:07 AM

If I have directional prints I decide whether I want them all to face the outsides of the quilt, or all face the bottom or each is totally random with figures facing in all directions. What's jarring to me is if all the dogs were to face in one direction except for one lone dog. Although that might be a good design decision too, especially if you were making a "black sheep" quilt.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Missouri.
I try to figure out which way I want a directional print to go before I put it together. I don't use alot of directional fabrics and sometimes I have to rip and start over. Your quilt your rules. Please yourself and it will be okay.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:01 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Learn to accept and like your directional prints facing all different directions!
It will make your quilting life so much easier, your designs often more interesting, and many of your quilts turnable/usable in any direction.

Jan in VA
Old 05-31-2013, 03:00 AM
Power Poster

That is the problem with any directional fabric. At the very least, it is wrong in two different directions. I would do it the way that looks best to me and let it go.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

I purposely put things in every direction I can. The quilt does not care. If I attempted to put everything the same way, I am sure I would get one wrong. Go with what you want.