Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Straight up vs. Sideways

Straight up vs. Sideways

I folded my stash using the ruler method and have it all nicely put away in Ikea Cabinets...so nice. However, I've also seen where many people have used boards of some sort and wrapped the fabric in order to stand it on end like the bolts in the quilting store. Here's my question...does either method take the same amount of shelf space? It seems to me that piling vs standing on end would allow me to stash more fabric. Thoughts, anyone?

I would agree with you, that the piling uses the shelf space better. Of course, that is because that is how mine is. I have fabric stacked to the top of my shelves.

Dina

Blog Entries
    It would depend if width and height correspond with each other to be a good match.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I would agree with you - guess you would have to do both and let us know which took up less, be our tester.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have some lateral and some vertical. The problem with lateral is usually the one I really want is either in the middle or toward the bottom. I really prefer lateral. I have some lateral and so much yardage that I have them on bolts.

I use both only because I ran out of boards. LOL my boards are 10 X 12. I was curious about this too so took a shelf that was full of boards, refolded everything using the ruler and it was about the same. I find the bolts easer to get to and I don't loose the short cuts in the pile.

Power Poster
    I would thick using the board and standing them up would take a little more space because you have the board width. However, storing vertical makes it much easier to remove one fabric without messing up my stash.

Blog Entries
    i've never kept mine vertical. wish i could make my stash look like my very own LQS
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

In theory the only difference is the added volume of the board. I agree that the stand up is easier to remove what you want and gives you a bit more of the surface of the fabric to look at when stored. The best wasy is what works for you and your storage space. Fold in the manner that best fits the space you have.

I also wrap around my 6" ruler so if I forget to mark and can estimate the length of the piece of fabric by counting the number of layers.
    Lisa

I redid my fabric shelves and put it all on either coroplast or foam core boards. It took up almost exactly the same amount of space.

I folded mine around the 8 1/2" ruler, then stored it standing up, without any boards to support it. As long as there is enough fabric it will stand up fine - and there's always enough fabric! I could store much more when I had it in horizontal stacks, because my shelves are higher than the height of the folded fabric - but I can get to it much easier this way.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I folded mine around the 8 1/2" ruler, then stored it standing up, without any boards to support it. As long as there is enough fabric it will stand up fine - and there's always enough fabric! I could store much more when I had it in horizontal stacks, because my shelves are higher than the height of the folded fabric - but I can get to it much easier this way.
    There is always a trade off!
    U

If I had the room I would store my fabric standing up as I think it would be easier to get to. I have my in plastic drawers I purchased from Walmart. Each drawer holds a different color of fabric. But no matter how much fabric I have I never have the right color so need to get more!

Mine is folded around rulers -- it would cost way too much to buy the boards to wrap it. If my shelf allowed, I would store it standing up. However, I have it stacked (everywhere) .
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I sold all my boards and just have folded fabric. The boards took up too much extra space on the shelves.

Debbie

I have some of mine piled up after being folded using the ruler method, but I also have it folded slightly smaller and then piled using a collapsible fabric basket from the dollar store on end. I can still see what colors I have, but I can also pull out each individual basket to make my selection and then it slides right back in place on the shelf.

The larger pieces of fabric I stand up. This is because I have trouble with my ribs due to a car accident and I don't have to do so much lifting to get the fabric I want. I adjusted the shelves on a bookcase to be the right height. Fat quarter are in drawers so that I can see the edge of each. Anything bigger than a FQ but smaller than 1 1/2 yd. is flat on a short shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy Gram View Post
    I sold all my boards and just have folded fabric. The boards took up too much extra space on the shelves.

Debbie
    Forgot to say my boards were foam core so they were thicker than comic boards - that's why they took up so much space.

I had my fabric on boards and then switched to ruler folded. I do agree that vertical on boards is easier to get to a particular fabric - but only if your shelves are not very deep. My problem was that I bought deep cabinets (one is 18 in. deep and the other is 23 inches deep), so that I could also keep bins of UFO projects in the cabinet. My husband wanted everything hidden behind doors/drawers since my main sewing room is also the living room. with my fabric vertical on boards I had to have several layers on 1 shelf - eliminating the 'ease' of access. Also my shelves could not be adjusted evenly so that all stood exactly vertical. If I arranged them with enough room for true vertical usage then I actually did not have room for one of my shelves.

Because my cabinets are deep flat ruler fold is a more econmical use of space.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
    Mine is folded around rulers -- it would cost way too much to buy the boards to wrap it. If my shelf allowed, I would store it standing up. However, I have it stacked (everywhere) .
    "No cost boards".....I took the very thin boxes that coke comes in and cut "boards" out of them. It's just enough support to hold up the fabric, but doesn't add a lot of bulk. I cut the boards all the same width so I can tell how much of each fabric I have by how many times the fabric wraps around the board. Works great, is basically free, and a great way to recycle trash.

Quote Originally Posted by leighway View Post
    I folded my stash using the ruler method and have it all nicely put away in Ikea Cabinets...so nice. However, I've also seen where many people have used boards of some sort and wrapped the fabric in order to stand it on end like the bolts in the quilting store. Here's my question...does either method take the same amount of shelf space? It seems to me that piling vs standing on end would allow me to stash more fabric. Thoughts, anyone?
    I thought stacking took less space until I tried it. My fabric was all stacked in drawers. When I wrapped my fabric on my ruler and stood it in the same drawers I got 1 1/2 drawers of fabric into 1 drawer. When I moved I was able to transfer my fabric to shelves and I found standing on end still took less space than stacking. The biggest benefit is how much neater it stays standing up than it did stacked.
    Shirley in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
    I try to wrap all of mine around boards so I go to the Dollar Store & buy lg. sheets of foam core for $1 ea. I can then cut them into the sizes I need for where I'm going to put them. Very little expense then. If I end up with a sm. pc. of foam core approx. 3-4" I use them for smaller pcs. That way I don't waste anything.

I use to ruler fold, now I have my fabric on boards. Takes about the same amount of space. It is just easier to get the fabric in and out of the cupboard on boards, than trying to get it out of the stack. I think both are great methods.

I have my large fabrics folded by the ruler method on wire closet shelves. My smaller pieces are folded the same on another shelf. I have three shelves in one closet and two shelves in the other. That one has backing fabrics, large white/off white/ light colors. Bottom of closets have scrap bins/batting and such. I do have to unstack and restack to get to what I want to use. Much better than I had before I moved to another room.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I love the convenience and space-saving benefits of fabric wrapped around cardboard and stored vertically, but mine look really messy because after I've pulled out a fabric or two, the fabrics "tilt" into the emptied space and I frequently having to take time to reorganize the shelf. And then I have to reorganized the shelf where I just pulled fabric for the first shelf. It never ends! Anyone have a cure for this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast