Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I machine quilting with my regular sewing machine? >

Can I machine quilting with my regular sewing machine?

Can I machine quilting with my regular sewing machine?

Old 12-01-2010, 06:38 PM

Does it have a darning foot? The old Kenmore I had did...it is the same as the newer machine "quilting feet". If you do, and you can lower or cover your feed dogs (even a piece of cardboard will work...just cut a hole where the needle will go in and out of ...tape the cardboard to the surface of the machine...and go for it.
The key is to practice, practice, practice.
Marge
Old 12-01-2010, 06:44 PM

you don't need a stitch regulator to do free motion quilting. It's nice to have for close, really precise work. I didn't have a SR on my old Nustyle machine & after practicing...got really nice stitches in manual (only mode).
My TL18LS has the stitch regulator..it's nice to have, but not mandatory.

The SR is supposed to keep your stitches even ...machine only stitches when you move the machine...and you set it to say, 12 st per inch...and no matter how you speed up or slow down the stitches stay at 12 st per inch...that's the theory anyhows.
Marge
Old 12-01-2010, 06:57 PM
JT

I have a Janome 6500, and a friend told me she did FMQ without dropping the feed dogs. I tried it, and I think it worked for me even better then when I dropped the feed dogs. I did loop de loop and water pattern, not great, but still learning. It was for a pillow for my 3 yr old grandson, so I thought I was safe and he wouldn't critique my quilting too much.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lilyized
Can someone help me understand...what does a stitch regulator do and will not having one impact my ability to FM. THANKS!
You don't have to have a stitch regulator to successfully FM. With practice your stitches become more even. A stitch
regulator keeps your stitches even and some people like them, others don't.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:32 PM

I sew on a Kenmore that is about 20 years old. I do a lot of SID, but got the darning foot in a set with my walking foot, so I am practicing other stitching now before going on a quilt. You can get a set of 4-5 "feet" for $24 plus s&h on www.sears.com. the biggest problem is dealing with the bulk of a larger quilt. I also do a lot of quilt as you go.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:58 PM

I use a walking foot purchased (on sale!) at Hancock's for free motion quilting. It attaches easily to my Singer. My feed dogs do not lower, but I can go anywhere and do anything pretty easily even on a large-size quilt. I think the key is to PRACTICE on smaller things to get the feel of it all, to know how fast or slowly you can or should move the fabric.

I bought some gloves that have a rubbery surface on the palm side that give me a good grip on the fabric.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:02 PM

I have an old beige Kenmore. Just had it fixed after my labs knocked it off the table. The repair guy said that its one of the most sought after models because it has a nob on top that instantly changes the pressure from heavy to none so you can do heavy canvas or quilting.I had bought the machine used ($25)without a manual so I had no idea. When my labs knocked the machine over it pushed the nob to most pressure and was eating my quilt when I tried to sew (I was doing applique)
Old 12-02-2010, 07:57 AM

My feed dogs don't lower either, but I bought a plate that just drops over that section and is thick enough that when the feed dogs work they don't actually touch the fabric. The plate was designed for my machine, which I confess is probably about 30 years old. It's a Sonata by Jo-Ann.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:01 AM

Thanks. If I FMQ without one, is it hard to keep the stitches the same lengh? I bought a quilting foot, so I guess I just need to give it a try. Any tips you can offer to keep stitches uniform?
Originally Posted by garysgal
The stitch regulator keeps your stitches from being uneven. some short, some long, that type of thing. I'm hoping I can find one for my Juki but not sure they make them for it.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lilyized
Thanks. If I FMQ without one, is it hard to keep the stitches the same lengh? I bought a quilting foot, so I guess I just need to give it a try. Any tips you can offer to keep stitches uniform?
Originally Posted by garysgal
The stitch regulator keeps your stitches from being uneven. some short, some long, that type of thing. I'm hoping I can find one for my Juki but not sure they make them for it.
Go slower and try to move the quilt smoothly without jerking. Relax your shoulders and don't hunch them up around your ears.