Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I machine quilting with my regular sewing machine? >

Can I machine quilting with my regular sewing machine?

Can I machine quilting with my regular sewing machine?

Old 12-02-2010, 09:35 AM

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. Can't afford long armer now that I've retired.
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by Lilyized
Thanks. If I FMQ without one, is it hard to keep the stitches the same lengh? I bought a quilting foot, so I guess I just need to give it a try. Any tips you can offer to keep stitches uniform?
Originally Posted by garysgal
The stitch regulator keeps your stitches from being uneven. some short, some long, that type of thing. I'm hoping I can find one for my Juki but not sure they make them for it.
Go slower and try to move the quilt smoothly without jerking. Relax your shoulders and don't hunch them up around your ears.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

many fabulous award winning quilters use a regular sewing machine to quilt their quilts...it only takes practice. start with making maybe 12" square sandwiches and start practicing...as you get the feel of it and a good (flow) then make something bigger and keep practicing, and enlarging.
before you know it you will be quilting big quilts.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lilyized
Thanks. If I FMQ without one, is it hard to keep the stitches the same lengh? I bought a quilting foot, so I guess I just need to give it a try. Any tips you can offer to keep stitches uniform?
Originally Posted by garysgal
The stitch regulator keeps your stitches from being uneven. some short, some long, that type of thing. I'm hoping I can find one for my Juki but not sure they make them for it.

Practice, Practice, Practice and remember to go slow until you get the hang of your machine. My Juki does 500 stitches a minute and sometimes I feel like I am flying an airplane. I made a very small practice quilt that I can load and practice on until I get the stitch right and can quilt the real thing with confidence.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:53 AM

Thanks. I noticed you are in Montana. I was at Glacier this summer. Love the area. Imagine it gets pretty cold. Great QS in White Fish, and Kalispel.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:39 AM

Right now we are 41 degrees with tons of snow. It is a beautiful place to live but the cost of living is getting up there. We don't have sales tax, so that helps. Our quilt shops are great, but we have lost several. Glacier is beautiful. come back and visit again!!
Old 12-02-2010, 02:46 PM

I would truly love to have a stitch regulator and quilting frame, however being retired won't allow such expense unless I can find one used. Please keep me in mind if you hear of either.:D
Old 12-02-2010, 04:21 PM

I just signed up for that site. I really need inspiration and help with fmq.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
the key is finding out if your feed dogs will drop...some of the old ones have that feature. Check your manual on this. Even if they don't drop, you can try setting your stitch length to zero, and putting masking tape over the feed dogs...this allow you to have control over the movement of the fabric. These options address the bottom of the quilting sandwich.

In either case, you will also need to have a machine quilting foot that puts less/no tension on the fabric from the top. These feet are called either quilting feet or darning feet...Sears should have them, and there are some generic feet out there that will work as well....one brand is called "Big Foot", but don't know names of others.
When you say "set your stitch length to zero," do you mean the smallest possible? I have a 6 and then my dial goes into zigzag. My machine is a Brother.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by klgreene
I got the slider, a ring, gloves all the stuff necessary to FMQ. Did what I was supposed to do....but my feed dogs don't drop and it just eats up the slider. So I pretty much have to stick to straight lines. Hope your feed dogs drop. If they do here is a great site for FMQ.

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/
Great site thanks
Old 12-04-2010, 02:43 PM

I do with no problem. I have two domestic machines that I have used successfully. One of them doesn't drop the feed dogs but if you set the stitch length at 0 you can do it. Truth is I had more success with the feed dogs up!