Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I use fabric on a lamp shade >

Can I use fabric on a lamp shade

Can I use fabric on a lamp shade

Old 12-23-2018, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
Yes, you can!

There is a book that gives details and how-to for a makeover. She has some great ideas using fabrics and trims. You can even use vintage linens. She has resources available for the different sizes and options.

Here is also the link to the blog.

http://lakeslampshades.com/
What a nice website! Her etsy shop shows a lot of shades but all of them are angular, not circular. I have the feeling circular is more tricky. But one thing I found useful is that some of her lampshades use linen or homespun. These might be a good choice of fabric as they would allow light to flow.

What about using fusible web to applique your mallards onto a lighter fabric before covering the shade? That might allow light to flow through also.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:03 AM

Default Lamp Shade redo

I've covered an existing plain lamp shade with fabric (pictured). Even with the original shade being a plain beige tone, as someone else posted, it will tend to lower the lighting affect. The lamp I used, had a sixty watt light bulb. Other than lighting affect, I've had no issues.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails lamp-shade.jpg  
Old 12-23-2018, 07:02 AM

I have seen adhesive shapes that you fit/cut your fabric to fit and it glues the fabric in the correct size/shape. May have been at Joann's. I did make my own years ago and they lasted a long time. I used the old shade and just glued the fabric to the old shade.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:08 AM

Absolutely! Reminder, some of the highest quality shades have been made from linens. BUT, reminder that the light shining thru will show seams and glues. I covered a shade in a child's room (with disney fabric to match the quilt) and I only glued the top and bottom to the frame and at the overlapped seam in the back. The fabric was 100% cotton and I used a 60 watt bulb and never had a problem. And, being a child's room, the light wasn't on for hours and hours, so I never had any thought about an overheating problem.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I have a lamp shade that is fabric covered. I didn't make it though so I can't offer any advice as to how to go about doing it. One thing is it is kind of a pain to clean. Dust and cat hair stick to it like crazy but if I brush it down with a damp wash cloth that takes care of it fairly quickly. The fabric definitely appears to be adhered to the entire surface of the shade. I am thinking something like a spray adhesive would work quite well to get good adhesive coverage without any streaks of adhesive showing when the lamp is turned on.
What about covering the fabric with Heat and Bond Vinyl? That would be easy to dust off.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:34 AM
Power Poster

Many, many lampshades are fabric covered. They hold up better than the paper shades and can be quite beautiful. If you have pets, or a lot of dust ( we live off a dirt road- tons of dust) you can scotch guard the shade, that really helps keeping it clean.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:17 AM

Good to see that it has worked out so well for some of you. It is something that i was meaning to try.
The website has some really nice ideas, thanks for sharing it.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:12 PM

My DIL made a shade from satiny brocade for my antique floor lamp. It turned out great and I've had no problems with it.