Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can a non quilter >

Can a non quilter

Can a non quilter

Old 11-20-2010, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by jemma
keep at it--invest in a couple of rulers-----------i have trouble with math-------took me ages to work out--if you cut 6 1/2inch squares and sew them together you end up with a 6 inch block all seams are 1/4 inch-- go do that with spare fabric ---you will see --- do 4 squares in a square shape=12x12 you then have a mini quilt--graph paper saved me many times
This works if you have finished the edges.
If you just sew two 6 1/2 inch blocks together with a 1/4 inch seam then those two blocks will be 12 1/2 inches wide. Do another two and put them on top and you will have a 12 1/2 inch square.
When you put a binding on that square the 12 1/2 inch square becomes a 12 inch square not counting the width of the binding.
A four patch is a great way to start, then try a 9 patch.
Just remember that pesty 1/4 inch seam allowance on each side.
:-D
Old 11-20-2010, 04:31 AM

I think that if you stay on this forum you'll be a quilter before you know it - welcome.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by greensleeves
Why not start by just sewing same size blocks together. Buy a couple of charm packs from the quilt store. They are 5" squares ready to go and the colors in a pack all go together. You usually get about 40 squares to a pack. Start with simple and work from there. Sew about 8 of the squares together to make a long row, then make 8 or 9 of those rows. Sew one row onto the next and you'll have a nice size baby quilt. If you want to do borders, they are easy to add, just come back and ask. By that time I bet you can figure out what to do next. After your first project it gets easier. You sound as if you really want to learn and that is the first big step.
This would be my suggestion, too. How can anyone miss? All measuring and cutting is done for you. And there is tute I saw somewhere on how to do borders without having to measure. I'll have to look for it again. Don't give up! Don't stress. Just have fun.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:48 AM

Hi CindyinNy, Welcome Aboard.
You just may be a quilter in no time at all. I like puzzles and recognize "shapes". Basic math is not too bad. There are wonderful math charts in the Fons and Porter book. There is a calculator made especially for quilters.

You have a cute dog. Many people on the this board have a dog or a cat. In my household we have one of each needless to say there is never a dull moment.

If you enjoy cooking there is a terrific recipe section. There are really nice people here. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:51 AM

I think it's great you found this forum! Keep asking questions because every time you do, you may be helping out other quilters too! Best wishes on your first quilt!
Old 11-20-2010, 04:54 AM

Math isn't my thing either. This is a great place to learn and get help and all kinds of encouragement. Please stay on.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:26 AM

Well, applique, whole cloth and paper piecing use very little or no math. That's how I started out many moons ago!
Old 11-20-2010, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

OH gosh...if they banned the math challenged from this board, I'm not sure there would be all that many members! :lol: Keep working and read the directions one step at a time. If it says...cut squares 3 1/2"...do exactly that. Do the next step..don't try to think ahead, just follow the directions- exactly and have faith. You'll find out that is will work out perfectly (well, usually) and then on the next project it will start making more sense to you. Each future project will make another piece of the "quilting puzzle" fall into place.....and if you have questions, come here to ask.

Good luck and Have FUN!
Old 11-20-2010, 06:01 AM

Cindy, as far as I'm concerned, you can stay on here forever even if you never quilt -- I love seeing that bright eyed alert fur kid of yours in your avatar!

rusty
Old 11-20-2010, 06:23 AM

Cindy stick with it. Keep practicing. The owner of my LQS says EVERY quilt is a learning experience. No one gets tired of answering questions. You may be asking what someone else wanted to.

Other suggestions would be check out You Tube. Search "beginning quilting" There is an into to rulers and also a 3 part series on rotary cutting. Also, check with a community college on continuing ed classes or your local quilting store about classes or maybe they know someone that would be interested in helping on a one on one basis.