Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can a non quilter >

Can a non quilter

Can a non quilter

Old 11-21-2010, 03:30 PM

try paper pieceing you just sew in the lines
Old 11-23-2010, 07:26 PM

Wow, what can I add that will make you feel better? Probably not much, except that now you see that we're all here to help each other. One day you'll be laughing about how difficult it was, while you're urging someone else to continue!

Since you already purchased fabric and a pattern, let's try to work with that. Tell us which pattern you are using. It might help to include the specific part(s) of the pattern that is giving you problems. Send a copy if you can. We'll decipher it for you. I'm a teacher, as many others are, I'm sure. We're used to rewording instructions so that all learners can understand them. Plus, we may be able to find another version of the pattern or a tutorial. The thing is to give yourself a real chance. You'll grow to love this hobby, I promise.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:55 PM

Thank you all for the encouragment. I am not working on anything at the moment, I saw a baby quilt on here and asked the maker for the directions, I read them and got stuck on the 6 inch square getting bigger even though you take a 1/4 inch seam on all sides. Since then I saw a post about magazines and I replied with this:

"Funny I should see this tonight. As some of you know I'm a beginner at this quilting thing and I've been tempted to give up because I'm not so good with math.
I don't subscribe to any quilt magazines yet, but probably will in the future.
Anywhoooooooooo

I bought a magazine today that has a DVD with it. I'm so glad I did!
It's Fons & Porter's easy quilts, Learn to quilt. Watching the video gave me new hope. While I still don't totally understand the "shrinking" of a piece, I think its becoming a bit clearer. I will watch the DVD more than once before I try the 9P that they demonstrate but I think I may have renewed my hope of becoming a quilter.
My suggestion to all newbies is BUY this magazine!!"

So as you can see, I am not giving up! :)
Old 11-23-2010, 08:23 PM

Yaaah! I'm so glad to hear that you're not giving up. I like the F&P magazines. They are so pretty!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:25 PM

If you can't do math, foundation piece a string quilt.

http://www.quiltville.com/stringquiltingprimer.shtml

Blocks can be any size. You can use paper foundations or cloth. Strips can be any color. Nothing to it.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:38 PM

Math UGH, that is why I keep things very simple and just drool over the talent here. You know I had to get a tutor plus take remedial math and then basic algebra TWICE ! so that I could be a nurse. I am convinced I have dyscalcula, I was never even able to memorize the times tables we all had to do In grade school. But you know I am a critical care nurse ,and have been for years, I deal with some pretty intense things. I am out in the open about my math skills with all co-workers and the pharmacy so I don't harm someone with a dose error.
i guess why I am rambling on and on is that I want you to see don't let math skills hold you back!!!!!It sure dosen't me. do I screw up quilting measurements ? you bet! I do this for enjoyment and I enjoy scrap quilts just fine. Those "screwups just go into the scrap or string pile. I have only bought expensive fabric a few times and it was used for very simple patterns and simple bag patterns.(you cant beat lazy girl designs for simple bags) So if you enjoy this hobby do not quit, and if it is too much stress just find another, but this is a forgiving hobby if you aren't too fussy ! lol