Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can a non quilter

stay on this forum?

I'm afraid I'm not understanding this hobby very well. :( Math is not my thing and is making it difficult to understand patterns.
    Everyone is so nice here and help each other but I don't want to frustrate anyone with all my problems understanding.

Math is not my thing either but I keep trying. I do simple designs (with clear directions) and that seems to help me. Don't give up---we need you!

BOY!!!! did you come to the right place to learn, everyone is so eager to help and there a teaching tutorials that you can learn from here too! please don't give up!!!!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Cindy, I don't think there are any rules for being a member other than enjoying the board and being courteous, following the rules, etc.
    There are so many helpful people here who would be glad to help you (me included)
    Have you ever thought of taking a beginning quilt class??
    That's how I started and it really helped me.
    ((((((( HUGS)))))) Hang in there! :D

While maths are quite useful to the traditional quilter, there are many working with fabric today who create their own artistic visions in fabric without trying to keep everything all lined up and measured.

And whether or not you ever make your own quilt, we are happy to have you here. Perhaps we will inspire you to give fiber art a try. *S*

Math has never been the hilite of my life, but if you need to ask for help don't hesitate.A long time ago my parents told me that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.Now I tell my grandchildren this.So don't be shy to ask!

Blog Entries
    Oh, don't worry!! There are TONS of ways to do measurements so that you aren't having to do any math. Really, if you are following patterns you don't have to do any math at all...just learn your rulers really well. No worries....just ask any questions you have. You'll get lots of help here.....

Blog Entries
    Of Course a non-quilter can hang with us.
    Besides, who else could we 'convert?'
    Check out our files. Ask your questions. You'll find quilters are generally a friendly bunch who love to share ideas.
    Welcome to the forum!

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I gave up on quilt patterns. I found them confusing. Now I just take the idea and make it how I want. I am not very good with the math thingy either! You should look up Rhonda's tutorials, she makes it all seem to simple and has helped me over come a lot of fears I had with quilting and trying new things. Don't be afraid to ask questions, I ask all the time and a lot of my questions seems silly to me but I always get an answer.

Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar
    I haven't been around very long, but I can tell you that this place is probably the most welcoming site on the web. You don't even have to try to quilt.....there's a section for other stuff.

But be warned: you will become one of us...and sooner rather than later. You will spend way too much money to build a stash and you'll hoard fabric and notions. You will spend way too much time on this site chatting it up with friends. Don't say we didn't tell you beforehand.

Of course, there will always be an answer to your question or problem. There will always be someone to listen to your worries and let you cry. There will always be something new to learn and someone willing to teach you.

Now, if you don't run, it's your own fault....and you're welcome. (And I'd love to be your fairy quiltmother.)

I have asked questions and everyone has been so nice about answering them but it gets embarrassing after being told and still not understanding.

What has me upset is that I want to make a baby quilt and I saw one on here and sent her a PM. She was so nice about it. In two emails she has told me how to do it and I still don't get it. It doesn't look complicated but I just don't understand the cutting measurements. It's very frustrating, I'm not really dumb, maybe just a little thick in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
    (And I'd love to be your fairy quiltmother.)

I just may take you up on that!! I really do want to learn to quilt.

Now it's your turn to think about running! ;-)

keep at it--invest in a couple of rulers-----------i have trouble with math-------took me ages to work out--if you cut 6 1/2inch squares and sew them together you end up with a 6 inch block all seams are 1/4 inch-- go do that with spare fabric ---you will see --- do 4 squares in a square shape=12x12 you then have a mini quilt--graph paper saved me many times

[quote=jemmaiif you cut 6 1/2inch squares and sew them together you end up with a 6 inch block all seams are 1/4 inch-- [/quote]

BINGO!!
    jemma You hit it right on the head!!!

That is exactly what I'm talking about!! The pattern I wanted to try says just that!! Are you physic???????????? lol

Why not start by just sewing same size blocks together. Buy a couple of charm packs from the quilt store. They are 5" squares ready to go and the colors in a pack all go together. You usually get about 40 squares to a pack. Start with simple and work from there. Sew about 8 of the squares together to make a long row, then make 8 or 9 of those rows. Sew one row onto the next and you'll have a nice size baby quilt. If you want to do borders, they are easy to add, just come back and ask. By that time I bet you can figure out what to do next. After your first project it gets easier. You sound as if you really want to learn and that is the first big step.

Blog Entries
    Cindy the thing to remember is there are many ways to say the same thing- it is just a matter of finding the one that you understand :wink: Ask all your questions - and many times you will get different answers that all mean the same thing :lol: Don't give up yet - and I hate patterns also :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    One tip I like to pass along is you can practice a new technique using plain old copy paper instead of fabric. You can sew it and iron it just like fabric. It is cheap for practicing sewing a seam or for cutting out squares and practicing joining two squares together. I use it to decide what size I need for something. I can cut out several 3" squares and sew them together to see how big my row will be and if it isn't the size I wanted I am not out anything, I can cut more squares and try again til I get it right.

You will find many that are happy to help. If I can help walk you through steps just let me know! Maybe you are like me and need to see the steps to understand them.

welcome. Check out videos. Then you can see what is being talked about. Me I couldn't learn to chew gum from a book. I have to see it.

Blog Entries
    I am home alone most of the time. I would be more than happy to help you with anything I can. I miss being able to teach and I would love to help. You can pm me anytime and I will try to help all I can. I do sleep in, because of my problems with insomnia, but I promise to answer as soon as I can if you are interested.

Best way to learn is to have a go and ask questions.

Quote Originally Posted by jemma
    keep at it--invest in a couple of rulers-----------i have trouble with math-------took me ages to work out--if you cut 6 1/2inch squares and sew them together you end up with a 6 inch block all seams are 1/4 inch-- go do that with spare fabric ---you will see --- do 4 squares in a square shape=12x12 you then have a mini quilt--graph paper saved me many times
    This works if you have finished the edges.
    If you just sew two 6 1/2 inch blocks together with a 1/4 inch seam then those two blocks will be 12 1/2 inches wide. Do another two and put them on top and you will have a 12 1/2 inch square.
    When you put a binding on that square the 12 1/2 inch square becomes a 12 inch square not counting the width of the binding.
    A four patch is a great way to start, then try a 9 patch.
    Just remember that pesty 1/4 inch seam allowance on each side.
    :-D

I think that if you stay on this forum you'll be a quilter before you know it - welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by greensleeves
    Why not start by just sewing same size blocks together. Buy a couple of charm packs from the quilt store. They are 5" squares ready to go and the colors in a pack all go together. You usually get about 40 squares to a pack. Start with simple and work from there. Sew about 8 of the squares together to make a long row, then make 8 or 9 of those rows. Sew one row onto the next and you'll have a nice size baby quilt. If you want to do borders, they are easy to add, just come back and ask. By that time I bet you can figure out what to do next. After your first project it gets easier. You sound as if you really want to learn and that is the first big step.
    This would be my suggestion, too. How can anyone miss? All measuring and cutting is done for you. And there is tute I saw somewhere on how to do borders without having to measure. I'll have to look for it again. Don't give up! Don't stress. Just have fun.

Hi CindyinNy, Welcome Aboard.
    You just may be a quilter in no time at all. I like puzzles and recognize "shapes". Basic math is not too bad. There are wonderful math charts in the Fons and Porter book. There is a calculator made especially for quilters.

You have a cute dog. Many people on the this board have a dog or a cat. In my household we have one of each needless to say there is never a dull moment.

If you enjoy cooking there is a terrific recipe section. There are really nice people here. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

I think it's great you found this forum! Keep asking questions because every time you do, you may be helping out other quilters too! Best wishes on your first quilt!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast