Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can this price be right for quilter?

This machine is only a 9 inch arm space. Bailey is 13, 15 or 17.

Thanks for all the replies,it seems the good outweighs the bad. I will never really be able to justify a long arm or have that kind of money so I thought something like this would be great. I loved the comment about the meredes and the camaro lol.

Blog Entries
    not quilt related but I just LOVE your avatar - bassets are so cool.....

...I'm leaning towards one of the packages on Amazon....Juki and the Gracie frame....near the price you provided a link to. I've heard so many good things about the Juki....don't know much about the Bailey.

Might want to join a few yahoo groups aimed at various mid/long arms - and see what they all have to say.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for this subject. I love the advice of all these knowledgeable ladies.

Remember the addage if it sounds too good to be true. Please check them out very carefully and look at the weight of the machine and the materials that the frame is made out of. It looks to me like the frame is either all wood or parts are. Keep in mind that wood no matter how well crafted will expand and contract with the humidity level and you may get some movement or shaking of your frame while you are quilting. This makes it very difficult to control the machine while doing intricate patterns. That said if you are just doing quilting for yourself and really just want to get it done fast and are not a perfectionist I would say that it sounds like a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by raedar63
    http://www.baileyssewingcenter.com/sppa2b.html

Can this price be right? Does anyone have experience with this company? If so soon as I pay my car off its mine lol.

I have the Bailey with a 15" throat and it is on a Grace Frame. I can quilt a large Queen, approx. 84". Works very well. I am quite pleased with it. The frame I had for approx. 7 years and was happy to find that the Bailey would fit on it (no need to purchase a new frame = $$ for more fabric :)) Chuck is very helpful at Bailey.

Blog Entries
    Now ths was very helpful to me and I'm sure many other new quilters would agree. Thanks everyone for all the imput. I will save all this information to help find a longarm that's right for me, but unfortunately not now. This is why I love this site ,again thanks everyone. Just one quilters question has probably helped hundreds . Thanks for the question. Everyone have a nice day

Blog Entries
    I have a Baileys 17 on a grace frame. I only have room for a queen frame size and have had no problems quilting anything from a lap to a queen. Love the machine and the service is fantastic! You can get a wood or metal frame. This was the only affordable option for us and am thrilled to have the opportunity to quilt like the "big girls".

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweety2911
    This was the only affordable option for us and am thrilled to have the opportunity to quilt like the "big girls".
    I'm not in the market and have no interest in acquiring a MA or LA but I have to admire Bailey's business acumen. He saw an open niche in the MA/LA market at a lower price point that wasn't being serviced, and he developed a product to meet it, with, from all reports, terrific customer service. NAYY.

As for it being only good for doing one's "own" quilts :roll: - it ain't the machine, it's the talent of the LA-er.
    I've seen plenty of quilts done on a Gammill/Statler where the quilting had ZERO, ZILCH, NADA personality.

Blog Entries
    [quote=QuiltnNan] however, i already have a hinterberg stretch frame, so don't need a package. the hinterberg frame is the best, in my estimation. it is very sturdy and easy to put up and take down, by myself.

I agree, Hinterberg is one of the best frames around. I have the stretch frame also, and love it

That sounds like the best deal going! Grab it!

I have a 15" Bailey, and I really like it. Good price, good customer service. I did get a good discount by buying a classroom model.
    For home stuff, it's fine. Someday I want a Gammill when I develope enough clentele,, but in the meantime, it's fine for what I do now.. I have done a queen size with no problem, never tried a king.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Id like to compare the Innova versus the Baily .. Baily is certainly a great price.. But Ive heard great things of the innova as well..

Quote Originally Posted by AlienQuilter
    Thanks raedar for bringing this up. Looks like a good deal. When we remodel/update our home, I will talk DH into a long arm machine for me.

Question then on throat space. Any chance when you get to the middle of the quilt, that you can turn it around and start quilting towards the other end?

Are there any machines that let you do this? Or do you have to choose a quilting design that's horizontal and not very wide. I've seen some beautiful feather quilting on this forum and was wondering how they did it without turning the quilt.
    yes. when you get to the center of a large quilt on a small-throated machine, you can unpin the quilt, turn it around, repin it, and work away from you instead of toward you. you'll be rolling it up on the front bar (belly bar) away from the needle. and you have to be very careful to keep smoothing the three layers toward the back roller to avoid puckering, but it can be done. i've done it on a small frame with a smaller machine, which i subsequently sold for that reason. i can tell you that it's a giant pain in the butt, but i did manage to make 2 oversized queens that way. in the end, i would rather make a big quilt in sections before i would do that again.
    as far as re-sizing the frame, if you have the space to extend it to full size, you never have to resize it. you just leave it at full size. you can do two baby quilts, side by side, at the same time that way.

edit: i should have pointed out that when you repin, you repin
    the bottom layer and float the batting and top layer. at least i did. that allows you to keep smoothing.

Blog Entries
    I sure hope so ,although I am looking at the 17"Bailey, saving those pennies. The stitch regulator is extra.I think its a great price. Hoping I could see a demo somewhere.

OMG now I'm thoroughly confused, LOL. I don't have a long arm and would consider getting one but all the choices, info, suggestions etc just make my head spin and my brain hurts.

Banned
    I have a bailey and grace frame. I love it and the family owned business is fantastic. Always there if you have a question.

Banned
    jaciqltznok....go a head and jump....I am a owner of the Bailey and the customer service is fantastic. Mr Bailey (Chuck) is always there to answer your questions.

Blog Entries
    The price sounds right!!!!! I have this machine but with the grace pro. frame love it... I got the up graded carriage.Easy to use and a web site just for baliey users.. You will not be sorry, this machine is super basic. Chuck Baliey makes these machines and will help you with any problems if you ever have any. I hope you to can be a bailey owner! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by amazon
    I sure hope so ,although I am looking at the 17"Bailey, saving those pennies. The stitch regulator is extra.I think its a great price. Hoping I could see a demo somewhere.
    if you can't see a bailey, then see whatever you can. it's important to at least feel the difference between the SR and not.
    if you can get to a big show, the baileys are there.

Blog Entries
    I can't testify to the machine, but I have purchased other items ffom these people and never had an issue with them. Very friendly and knowledgeable.

Thanks Butterflywing! I appreciate the info.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    Quote Originally Posted by amazon
    if you can't see a bailey, then see whatever you can. it's important to at least feel the difference between the SR and not.
    if you can get to a big show, the baileys are there.
    I have tried a Nolting, I missed Paducah this year, hopefully there will be a show at VBCC in Hunstville for 2012. Thanks for the info
    :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweety2911
    This was the only affordable option for us and am thrilled to have the opportunity to quilt like the "big girls".
    I'm not in the market and have no interest in acquiring a MA or LA but I have to admire Bailey's business acumen. He saw an open niche in the MA/LA market at a lower price point that wasn't being serviced, and he developed a product to meet it, with, from all reports, terrific customer service. NAYY.

As for it being only good for doing one's "own" quilts :roll: - it ain't the machine, it's the talent of the LA-er.
    I've seen plenty of quilts done on a Gammill/Statler where the quilting had ZERO, ZILCH, NADA personality.

You are so right! The machine has nothing to do with quality it is all in the experience of the quilter. I have the Bailey 17 on the Original Grace frame. It only holds a 96 ince quilt but I can make that quilt 108-112" in length and it fits under the neck of the Bailey. You will have to wind tightly when you roll the quilt but it can be done. Secondly you don't have to buy a frame package when you purchase, you can buy any frame you choose. You just get a good price break when you buy a Grace frame package from Bailey's. Constomer service that you recieve from this company is unheard of in todays world. My Bailey broke after five months use and Chuck Bailey cheerfully sent me a brand new machine and paid for the postage for sending out and for me to send the broken machine back. The problems I had are very very rare and I only know of one other person who had the same issue. She too was given a brand new machine with no problems what so ever. I have NEVER felt like I made a mistake in choosing a Bailey and I am able to do everything that with my machine that a more expensive machine can do. I also have the Sew Control Stitch Regulator on mine and love it! I am completely happy with my Bailey!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast