Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can this price be right for quilter? >

Can this price be right for quilter?

Can this price be right for quilter?

Old 06-29-2011, 06:15 AM

Remember the addage if it sounds too good to be true. Please check them out very carefully and look at the weight of the machine and the materials that the frame is made out of. It looks to me like the frame is either all wood or parts are. Keep in mind that wood no matter how well crafted will expand and contract with the humidity level and you may get some movement or shaking of your frame while you are quilting. This makes it very difficult to control the machine while doing intricate patterns. That said if you are just doing quilting for yourself and really just want to get it done fast and are not a perfectionist I would say that it sounds like a good price.

Originally Posted by raedar63
http://www.baileyssewingcenter.com/sppa2b.html

Can this price be right? Does anyone have experience with this company? If so soon as I pay my car off its mine lol.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:28 AM

I have the Bailey with a 15" throat and it is on a Grace Frame. I can quilt a large Queen, approx. 84". Works very well. I am quite pleased with it. The frame I had for approx. 7 years and was happy to find that the Bailey would fit on it (no need to purchase a new frame = $$ for more fabric :)) Chuck is very helpful at Bailey.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:54 AM

Now ths was very helpful to me and I'm sure many other new quilters would agree. Thanks everyone for all the imput. I will save all this information to help find a longarm that's right for me, but unfortunately not now. This is why I love this site ,again thanks everyone. Just one quilters question has probably helped hundreds . Thanks for the question. Everyone have a nice day
Old 06-29-2011, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I have a Baileys 17 on a grace frame. I only have room for a queen frame size and have had no problems quilting anything from a lap to a queen. Love the machine and the service is fantastic! You can get a wood or metal frame. This was the only affordable option for us and am thrilled to have the opportunity to quilt like the "big girls".
Old 06-29-2011, 07:55 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Tweety2911
This was the only affordable option for us and am thrilled to have the opportunity to quilt like the "big girls".
I'm not in the market and have no interest in acquiring a MA or LA but I have to admire Bailey's business acumen. He saw an open niche in the MA/LA market at a lower price point that wasn't being serviced, and he developed a product to meet it, with, from all reports, terrific customer service. NAYY.

As for it being only good for doing one's "own" quilts :roll: - it ain't the machine, it's the talent of the LA-er.
I've seen plenty of quilts done on a Gammill/Statler where the quilting had ZERO, ZILCH, NADA personality.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:12 AM

[quote=QuiltnNan] however, i already have a hinterberg stretch frame, so don't need a package. the hinterberg frame is the best, in my estimation. it is very sturdy and easy to put up and take down, by myself.

I agree, Hinterberg is one of the best frames around. I have the stretch frame also, and love it
Old 06-29-2011, 09:20 AM

That sounds like the best deal going! Grab it!
Old 06-29-2011, 09:25 AM

I have a 15" Bailey, and I really like it. Good price, good customer service. I did get a good discount by buying a classroom model.
For home stuff, it's fine. Someday I want a Gammill when I develope enough clentele,, but in the meantime, it's fine for what I do now.. I have done a queen size with no problem, never tried a king.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:54 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Id like to compare the Innova versus the Baily .. Baily is certainly a great price.. But Ive heard great things of the innova as well..
Old 06-29-2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter
Thanks raedar for bringing this up. Looks like a good deal. When we remodel/update our home, I will talk DH into a long arm machine for me.

Question then on throat space. Any chance when you get to the middle of the quilt, that you can turn it around and start quilting towards the other end?

Are there any machines that let you do this? Or do you have to choose a quilting design that's horizontal and not very wide. I've seen some beautiful feather quilting on this forum and was wondering how they did it without turning the quilt.
yes. when you get to the center of a large quilt on a small-throated machine, you can unpin the quilt, turn it around, repin it, and work away from you instead of toward you. you'll be rolling it up on the front bar (belly bar) away from the needle. and you have to be very careful to keep smoothing the three layers toward the back roller to avoid puckering, but it can be done. i've done it on a small frame with a smaller machine, which i subsequently sold for that reason. i can tell you that it's a giant pain in the butt, but i did manage to make 2 oversized queens that way. in the end, i would rather make a big quilt in sections before i would do that again.
as far as re-sizing the frame, if you have the space to extend it to full size, you never have to resize it. you just leave it at full size. you can do two baby quilts, side by side, at the same time that way.

edit: i should have pointed out that when you repin, you repin
the bottom layer and float the batting and top layer. at least i did. that allows you to keep smoothing.