Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • can sew with left foot!/retreat >
  • can sew with left foot!/retreat

• can sew with left foot!/retreat

Old 09-05-2010, 09:22 AM
    Power Poster

I have NEVER heard of any Bernina dealers suggesting that you use your left foot on the pedal because of the kneelift on the right! I suppose they might have something, but even so, I don't think I could do it.
    Old 09-05-2010, 09:32 AM
    Power Poster

I can sew with either foot, but I can also rotary cut with either hand. It changes things when you break bones. When I was young I had 2 fractures in my right arm. About 6 years ago a man pulled out in front of me and I had 3 fractures in my left arm from hitting it on the window. I also hurt my right foot a few years ago. Surprising what you can do when you want to...
    Old 09-05-2010, 10:16 AM

I am a retired letter carrier. I had to leave due to my right foot. I had a mounted route and driving was too painfull. 5 years before I left I started to drive with my left foot. It was awkward at first, but after a few days, it felt natural. I also have trouble sewing with the right foot. I usually use the heal to control the peddle. I have tried the left foot, but control is quite different than a vehicle. I do know with a little effort, the left foot will perform as well as the right.
    Old 09-05-2010, 10:32 AM
    np3
    Power Poster

I can sew with both. One of my first machines was in a cabinet with a knee pedal. I loved it and wish the new machines worked like that. I used it for years and it never caused any problems.
    Old 09-05-2010, 10:41 AM

I had a back problem about tne years ago that was directly attibuted to sewing in a wooden chair and using only my right foot. The doctor I was seeing suggested trying to sew with my left foot but cautioned that I probably would not be able to since I had sewn with my right foot for so long. I tried it and was able to sew lefty. The doctor was amazed that it was such a smooth transition. I told him it depended on HOW BADLY I wanted to sew. I think the same is with anyone, if you want to sew badly enough, you'll find a way.