Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can someone check my math? >

Can someone check my math?

Can someone check my math?

Old 10-01-2010, 02:56 PM

4 1/8 is a odd size, usually they're 4 or 4 1/2, not 4 1/8. If the size is 4", I would cut my squares 5" for my hst then square them up. Everyone says to add 7/8", I just add 1" and square them up.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:21 PM

These aren't HST they are squares made from 4 quarter square triangles (QST). I agree that the 4 1/8 is really goofy but this person REALLY seems to like the 4 1/8 thing. Because it is a BOM and I am trying to fit all the blocks together at the end of the year, I am trying to follow her weird pattern (bad directions and all).

To assemble, you sew two QST into a HST. Then sew two HSTs together to make a 4 1/8 inch square.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:25 PM

Really strange, you can make qst really easy also, adding 1 1/4 to the size of the square you want. Never had any squares,hst,qst or actually anything that size. Maybe, she made a mistake in the pattern?
Old 10-01-2010, 04:54 PM

She made a mistake months ago and instead of fixing that one mistake announced that we were going to make things 4 1/8 inch square (but she couldn't explain to anyone how to square a block). Feel my frustration.

My husband calls this the "ugly quilt" because it is flat out ugly. I took a quilting class because of this and found out it really wasn't just me. I learned a LOT from my class (taken at another facility). Things like it really IS important to measure accurately, piece with an accurate 1/4 inch seams, square your blocks, etc.

I'm finishing the darn thing because I'm not a quitter. The thing that frustrates me is that new quilters are trying to do this BOM, can't figure it out, no one at the LQS has a clue what this woman is doing so won't help, and the new quilter quits. I am amazed the place stays in business with this kind of "advertising". I think I need a lot of chocolate now.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:11 PM

This method works best for me.
Originally Posted by texas granny
when I started quilting and doing 1/2 Tringles the 7/8 was hard for me so i would go to the next one up and then trim them down
Old 10-01-2010, 05:23 PM

I also am amazed that they stay in business.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:24 PM

I appreciate everyone's help. I usually know better than to just cut fabric for any of the blocks from this LQS BOM. I usually make them out of paper first. This is what I get for thinking I knew what I was doing.

My new theory is that people have to buy fabric to remake the blocks that don't work out due to bad directions which boost sales at this shop. They do not do any sales, discounts (as far as I know), etc. After this is finished I won't be back.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:29 PM

Lab Fairy make sure you let the shop owner know what this teacher is doing. Owners have enough trouble making it without having a teacher run off her patrons.
Most shop will give you a discount on the day the group meet. be sure to check that out
Old 10-01-2010, 07:51 PM

She knows. It doesn't seem to make an impact which is the sad part. She actually told me no one squares their blocks and I was silly to worry about it.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
She knows. It doesn't seem to make an impact which is the sad part. She actually told me no one squares their blocks and I was silly to worry about it.
Well after the BOM is over look for a different shop there are plenty good ones out there.