Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can someone check my math? >

Can someone check my math?

Can someone check my math?

Old 10-01-2010, 08:01 PM

That's my plan. If I wasn't so stubborn, I'd have quit working on this one long ago.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:06 PM

just make the adjustments you know you nned to do and get it finished. Quilt it and give it away and let it be you badge of
courage for finishing the quilt you hate
Is there any way to finish the quilt with out the next 3 month of fabric. or do you get the bulk of the fabric in the 12 th month
Old 10-02-2010, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
I'm fairly new to quilting and doing a BOM with a LQS in my area. I should know better than to trust the cutting and measuring instructions by now. They haven't been right yet. But here goes...

If I want a 4 1/8 square block made from 4 quarter square triangles how big should the squares the QST's come from be? My instructions told me to cut 4 QST from 4 3/4 inch squares and sew them together. I'm supposed to get a 4 1/8 inch block from that? I only get a 4 inch block. What am I doing wrong?
I usually make my squares either 4 inches for a 31/2 and a 5inch for a 41/2. What I do is then cut the block down to the required size.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by texas granny
just make the adjustments you know you nned to do and get it finished. Quilt it and give it away and let it be you badge of
courage for finishing the quilt you hate
Is there any way to finish the quilt with out the next 3 month of fabric. or do you get the bulk of the fabric in the 12 th month
Each "block" is actually made in two months. The total of the two month's efforts will supposedly make an 18.5 inch block. This was the "NOT MENTIONED" part when I started. I made a semi-normal 12.5 inch block in January. It wasn't until February that I found out about adding to January's block to make it 18.5 inches. It was my very first quilt block so I expected it to be so-so. Unfortunately, the piecing improved but the rest went downhill fast.

I went back to the LQS today to explain the problem hoping to save others from doing the same thing. I couldn't believe it when the person there told me me there was nothing wrong with the cutting instructions. I should adjust my seams (to less than 1/8 inch) to make the block measure right. In my opinion, if you have to do that something is very wrong with your block.

I explained that I don't do poor workmanship and would rather remake my block. She started pulling fabrics off the shelf and told me she did not want to look in the back for the matching fabric that was left from making the kits. You've got to be kidding right? So here I am, different fabric, starting over. I did not bother to ask about the off-white or blue colors. Her stomping around once was enough.

I have no idea what the whole quilt is supposed to look like but I have no clue what to do but stick it out. Besides now I think of it as a teaching moment on my part. I'm teaching these people how to COMMUNICATE effectively and politely. I also feel I owe it to my fellow BOM'ers who are writing down notes every time I ask questions like what size should that really be... I think they are afraid to ask.