Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can a Store Have TOO Much Fabric? >

Can a Store Have TOO Much Fabric?

Can a Store Have TOO Much Fabric?

Old 06-14-2010, 05:39 PM

Lorli,
You must be talking about Fieldstone House, right? I just moved from Amsterdam NY to NW Georgia. Our quilt group in Edinburg, NY would every once in a while travel down to the shop there, (took us about 2 hrs) and would have lunch there in the back. Her husband would make us lunch. We were wondering if they are still doing that.

But to comment on the subject. The first time I went there I didn't have anything in particular in mind, and it is overwhelming. Another time I found a book I'd been looking for and couldn't find anywhere, even online and she had one copy of it. It's now mine. ggg

And oh, I didn't appreciate enough all the quilt shops that were around me in upstate NY. There seems to be a dearth of them here, and so far haven't found many local quilters. Cecilia
Old 06-14-2010, 05:48 PM

There is a big store in Amish country, in OHIO, that they say has lots 7 LOTS of goods.
I have never been there but would love to go,
accept my stash is already big enfu.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:53 PM

Were you by any chance in Bloomington, IL? The quilt shop I am referring to has fabric stacked to the ceiling, in front of the racks, under the racks, stuffed in corners, on tables, under tables and still have more coming in. She had 5 boxes of Jelly Rolls come in one day and had no place to put them. She had to move material off the table near the door to stack them as high as possible just to get them all in the store. There is no way 2 people can go down and isle together. The racks are so close together and so much fabric is on the floor you have to watch your step. Her notions are in the middle of the store and she has so much stuff that what isn't hung up is stuffed anywhere it can go. She has places you can't get into because of other stuff in front of it. She has been sited several times by the fire dept for not having access to the rear exit. I was so overwhelmed I had to leave. But if you are looking for fabric that is no longer made, go to her and she will know exactly where it is. It's amazing. Oh, another thing all fabric is the same price and if you pay cash you get a 20% discount!
Old 06-14-2010, 07:12 PM

Tootsie, I so agree with you. I don't like going to places that are too big and overwhelming. There is a quilt shop near me that has a huge selection of fabrics, but I don't go there anymore. The few times I went the staff was not friendly or helpful or even seemed to care I was there. When I did need to ask someone for help, it took a while to even find a salesperson and I felt like I was intruding. To me, the ideal quilt store has nothing to do with the size. If there is a helpful staff that makes you feel welcome, the staff is knowledgable about quilting, the staff is willing to help you with any problems, the staff is happy.....to me that is an awesome quilt store.

Elizabeth
Old 06-14-2010, 07:22 PM

I have been to that quilt store in Franklin, Tennessee and I felt just the same as you. It was too disorganized and I didn't like having to unstack bolts off of the floor to get the bolt I needed.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:55 AM

Oh, I would LOVE to go to the Hancock's of Paducah store. Their catalog is beautiful and the prices reasonable. Last week I went to the annual sale at Keepsake Quilting in Center Harbor, NH. The store is full of incredible fabric, but I didn't get overwhelmed! Just inspired! Of course, it is all displayed in nooks and crannies interspersed with quilts as examples, so it's really like being in a series of quilting stores. And then, during this annual three-day sale, they put up a tent in the parking lot with bolts and bolts of sale fabric, along with lots of kits and medleys and notions. It was incredible. Can't wait till next year!
Originally Posted by bearisgray
I felt that way at the Hancock's of Paducah store.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:47 AM

Never had that problem. I'm like a kid in a candy shop. I see and I want every thing . And boy all the ideas that pop into my head. ( I can make this with at fabric and that with this one) I would just have so much fun.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:28 AM

Mine too.....it was awful.....I went to New England (from Georgia!) specifically to go to Keepsake Quilting's shop.....and couldn't find anything to buy. Well, of course, I did end up buying some stuff but the problem was I didn't have a plan or quilt or theme in mind when I walked in. I was there less than an hour and my overwhelmed brain was grateful to leave when I did!
Old 06-15-2010, 06:44 AM

Yes a store can have too much and it is overwhelming and unpleasant to shop in a store like that.

I alway's thought a quilt store should have hammocks, benches, a side room with a tv and pool table for the hubbies. Oh, and a drink and snack machine. My DH is so patient when he takes me. Occasionally he will actually come in and shop with me and of course he has no problem carrying my pkgs. Yes, he's a keeper.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:34 AM
dsj

I think so, we have a quilt store close by that is so jammed pack with fabric that you have to pull bolts away several layers thick, no kidding, to find anything. You can barely walk through the isles. She also has a warehouse and her home that she stores fabric in. If you need a fabric you need to go to her she will usually come up with it. She never runs sales, never!! It can be very difficult to shop in the store. I am always afraid of spiders hiding out in there. She has new shipments arrive daily boxes and boxes of fabric waiting to be stacked on top in front of you name it wherever it will fit. You have to see it to believe it.