Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
can you baste a quilt on your sewing machine >

can you baste a quilt on your sewing machine

can you baste a quilt on your sewing machine

Old 03-12-2011, 06:00 AM

I love using the basting spray if that is possible for you to purchase. It's wonderful and takes the frustration out of basting and pinning. But you do need to have a well ventilated area. It goes very quickly and stays together for months.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:07 AM

OK, what's the biggest horizontal flat area that you have? How big is the quilt? Do you have anyone who could help you (e.g. by temporarily moving furniture, or at least just helping get the quilt smooth and taut)? I'm pretty much housebound myself, I know what it's like. What limitations do you have that would affect basting? Many people don't get on well with crawling around on the floor, for instance. That's one of the biggest things for me, as well as fatigue kicking in before I've finished.

If you have a double bed, I'm wondering about using that as a basting surface. A mattress isn't hard like a floor, but it might be manageable, especially if you can get someone to help. That plus a basting spray (I haven't used one but I hear good things about them - no idea how they are if you have chemical sensitivities, though, it's one reason why I haven't tried one) might work quite nicely, if you can get to all the bits of the bed to smooth out the layers.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:09 AM

have sever muscale infection in all joints too , copd and wear ox 24/7 can;t get on floor have roll out cutting table and on good weather can lock dogs outside one dog charlie wants to help remove things evenwhen not ready he loves to jump and is very strong but gotta love him
retiac
Old 03-12-2011, 06:01 PM

I use a king size bed to sandwich larger quilts, with no bedding so pins don't catch.

Only problem is getting to the very middle, then I roll the quilt from the foot end & baste.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:16 PM

I use the 2 x 6 tables at our clubhouse and have used the 2 x 8 tables in our church fellowship hall also. It's so much easier to have space to spread it all out to sandwich it.