Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you hand quilt without a thimble? >

Can you hand quilt without a thimble?

Can you hand quilt without a thimble?

Old 05-06-2013, 08:23 AM
amh

I love to hand quilt and can't imagine that one would try to push that needle through layers of fabric without a thimble.

Having said that, I remember learning to use one and did all of the things mentioned -- used a different finger, stuck the thimble finger up in the air, etc. It was the pain of pushing the needle through several different layers in that rocking motion that finally made that thimbled finger stay where it should be and used as it should be. Practice practice.

As an althernative, there are several new types of thimbles now. I've tried several and because I learned with the good old metal one, that's what works for me. However, if I was learning now, I would pick one that was a little more hip and stick with it till I learned how. In my opinion, my hand quilting is tigher when my thimble is on.

There are no rules. If it works for you not to use a thimble, then don't. As long as you are getting the result you want and you are happy with the result, the quilt police should leave you alone.

Aileen.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:52 AM

I can't hand sew anything without my thimble...... but I have changed the style of thimble I use over the years. I now use a leather thimble with the round metal coin that is strong enough to push the needle through the layers. I think it stays on my finger the best. The old metal ones slip off too easily and I spend too much time putting the thimble back on.

Let us know how you do.... finding a method that will work for you.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:42 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I hand quilt large quilts without a thimble because I have a lessened sense of touch - I can't feel the needle as it is, a thimble is very confusing! I use -- HORROR! - the underside of my fingernail to push the needle with my rocking stitch. Granted I rarely load more than 2 stitches, usually just one at a time, but I have *never* forced the needle eye far under the nail and hurt myself. I also do not use a thimble on the under hand and just build a callus on the under finger pad.

Jan in VA
Old 05-06-2013, 04:47 PM

I heard once that you can use a back side of a spoon instead of a thimble.

Never tried it.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:55 PM

I was made to use a thimble when a little girl by my Auntie. Now I cannot sew without one. Try something. You will end up running a needle up your fingernail or into the pad of your finger.