Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Can you help to identify these fabrics?

Can you help to identify these fabrics?

Good morning Ladies (and Gents)

A couple of weeks ago I purchased some pre-cut fat quarters. I love these fabrics and would like to get a hold of more, but cut from the bolt not in fat quarters. I am trying to find the manufacturers name of these, but unusually there are no identifiers on the selvedges. I contacted the shop where I bought thee, but they would only say they had bought the pre-cut from a wholesaler: they wouldn't even let me have the wholesaler's name. I asked if they would make enquiries, but I don't hold out much hope.

I know thee are many people that see this board, and am hoping that someone may be able to give me a clue to manufacturers/designers' names or where I can obtain some more. I am in the UK but my daughter in the US can always shop for me. This fabric is really lovely and very unusual.

Can anyone help?

Thank you - Mandie.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry...no help. They are very pretty and I can see why you would want yardage. Welcome to QB.

Senior Member ClairVoyantQuilter's Avatar
    Benartex is carried by a commonly used wholesaler, so you might check their website. It's pretty, but I don't recognize the print.
    Blessings,
    -Robin

https://quiltedorchid.com

Blog Entries
    take a good square on picture of one of the fabrics and use google images to search
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Can't say for sure but the blue and black look like some Australian fabrics I've seen advertised. I think AQS might sell them. You might try their website or google Australian fabric.

Hi there.
    Try http://www.vlisco.com/
    They are in the Netherlands and import a lot of high quality third world fabrics. Even if you don't see these specific ones, prepare to be amazed.

tim (hanging out i Germany) in san jose

I agree with the post above. It does not look like anything that the US fabric manufactures would produce. Not one selvage had anything written on it?? Welcome to the board.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Thank you for all your suggestions. I have looked at AQS but nothing similar has come up. The Aboriginal fabrics are close, and are wonderful: the Vlisco site is brilliant too. I am off to Holland in the Spring, so will check that one out when I am there. The suggestion of taking a good photo and googling it is great - I will try that when I get my iPad charged up.

I opened up each pack to check on the selvedges - not one of them had anything printed on it. You usually expect a colour match/swatch test and the manufacturer at the very least, but not a thing. I have rung the shop again today and asked for the owner to call me back. Lets see if they do!

They look a lot like something I have had for YEARS! It is from Japan, so maybe your prints are, too.
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

The bottom one does look like the Aboriginal fabric. Try here: http://www.fabricandart.com/Australi...l-Fabrics.html

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Did you ask the shop if they could order some yardage for you? Not many shops want to give out their sources but most shops will order extra, Good luck!!

I found this, its very similar, they have the blue arrows too
    http://www.hartsfabric.com/sashiko-a...red-67568.html

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I am off into hospital for a few days, so I will check all these suggestions out when I get back. I am still waiting for the owner of the shop to get back to me and I am keeping my fingers crossed. See you all on the other side of the surgery!

Hi I would say these are Japanese prints I have quite a few nothing charm packs and yardage when I get a moment I'll look up the info on the selvedge for you.

I agree that the top ones look Oriental and with the post From Fieryphoenix, I think you may find these are also Japanese import fabric. Since you are going into the hospital, I'll do some poking around on the internet and see what I can come up with.

Welcome to the Board; I hope you hospital time goes quickly and with positive results for you.

Joyce in Delaware

Blog Entries
    The bottom photo is DAVID"S TEXTILES. I have a small piece in redish orange.

My age is now 74!
    Last edited by quilter68; 12-12-2015 at 09:36 AM. Reason: age
    Quilter 68 who is now 69/and now 70

The bottom photo looks like an aboriginal fabric.Could you google that? Or Australian/aboriginal?
    Charlie DiSante

Also try Heartsong Quilts (http://heartsongquilts.com/). They also carry Australian Aboriginal fabrics, but I agree that these might be Japanese. Another shop to try might be Fabric Worm (www.fabricworm.com).

Good luck!

Those top two are Japanese fabrics. I saw them for sale in Tokyo's fabric town. I have the top two with just the arrow motif. Many U.S. Fabrics are printed in Japan and they sell those there also.

Blog Entries
    I saw them in " the quilters trading post," was Whitchurch England.new address is buerton school, sorry no idea of rest of address but it is on web. I am not affiliated with shop just drive over if I'm after a Japanese fabric. Good luck finding the fabric and with your hospital stay.
    Last edited by DOTTYMO; 12-12-2015 at 11:43 PM.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Hi All, although I've surfed the Quilting Board for a number of years, this is the first time I've written. Thank you all for your tips and ideas - they're always interesting and helpful.

I was born in Perth, Western Australia and have lived here all my life, (now 65), although both my DH and I have travelled overseas to a number of countries over the years.

The fabrics in Meridlin's bottom photo are almost identical to some I purchased in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore some years ago. They were batiks that were locally produced and sold and of quite a "solid" cotton nature. None of the fabrics (batiks) that I purchased had a selvedge or any manufacturer's details. On one occasion whilst in KL, I visited a batik factory and watched the fabrics being hand printed. The airline hostesses on Singapore Airlines wear sarongs made from similar print fabrics, however depending on their status within the crew, wear different colours.

I'm pretty sure that the above fabrics are not Australian Aboriginal prints, but rather Asian.

Merry Christmas to everyone and a safe, happy 2016